Author Topic: bullet lube recommendation?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline weinstein

• Trade Count: (0)
bullet lube recommendation?
« on: February 22, 2003, 06:05:59 PM »
Hello from a new registered member!  Looks like there is a wealth of good information here.

I'm new to casting, and have been collecting the necessary equipment.  I have a heated lubrisizer on the way, and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good bullet lube?

I suppose I can use hard or soft lube since the sizer is heated...

I will be casting mostly for handguns, .32 S&W Long, .38 Spl, and .44 Mag.    Rifle stuff will probably follow, although I already have a mould for 7.62x39.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 12:41:59 AM »
javalina is easy to find cheap to buy and works very well. Its a good lube to start with.
blue lives matter

Offline sjc1

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 02:41:28 AM »
I use Lyman Super Moly and SPG. I am satisfied with both. Both of these lubes are a soft lube so if you use them you do not need to use your heater. I have never been a big fan of the hard lubes, those that you need a heater to apply. The reason being is that a lube is suppose to lube the barrel as it travels along it and I do not think the hard lubes do as good a job as the soft lube. I base this on recovered bullets. I have yet to examine a recovered bullet that was lubed with a soft lube to have any lube left in the bands after firing. On many occasions I have recovered bullets that have been lubed with hard lube that have lube left in the bands after firing. I know that this is in no way a scientific examination but it is the only way I can make a judgement on the lubes. If it is still in the bands after firing it means to me that it is not doing what it is suppose to do.
Also, like Lloyd stated, Javalina is an excellent lube. It is also a soft lube.

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 04:50:31 AM »
weinstein,

What I consider the definitive word on lubes was written by John Linebaugh in the paper he wrote called "DISSOLVING THE MYTH, DISCOVERING THE POTENTIAL."

Here he said,
"If it resembles a crayon, that's all its good for."

Go with the soft lubes.

Ka6otm

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 05:10:02 AM »
You can allso tie the lube that I make ask lloyd what he thinks of it.
lead bullets done right

Offline sjc1

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 05:31:27 AM »
What Ka6otm posted about John Linebaugh's opinion concerning hard lubes is probably the best I have heard it stated. One would have to agree that Linegaugh knows something about what will work and what will not work in a cast bullet in a big bore handgun. Some may wonder why the hard lubes at all. I think they were developed in order to create a market. Make the hard lubes, tell the casters they are the best thing going and voila, instant market. I have yet to hear from anyone concerning how hard lube left on a bullet was completely doing the job it was designed for.
Like I stated earlier I like the Lyman Super Moly and I use it mostly for my smokeless loads. I use the SPG for my blackpowder loads.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 08:16:24 AM »
Billy makes an excellent lube. I have used it the way it comes and I use it now to make what I have found to be the best lube going. I make felix lube at home and mix it 5050 with billys lube. It comes out with about the same consistancy as lbt blue. It goes through the sizer without heat I stays on the bullets when I box them up loose and I have ABSOLUTLY no leading problems. If you want to go through the hastle of making it Its the best thing I found bar none.
Quote from: Billy Marr
You can allso tie the lube that I make ask lloyd what he thinks of it.
blue lives matter

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 09:18:44 AM »
Ka6otm reminded me of something.
Years ago, a buddy and I arrived at our favorite gravel pit for a shooting session.
We found numerous targets pasted to scrap lumber, with .38-caliber holes in the paper and wood.
And around each hole was a bright smear of green or blue.
We found some lead bullets behind the targets and --- lo and behold! --- it appeared that they had been lubricated with green or blue Crayons!
My buddy and I marveled at the blue or green smear of lubricant around the holes. It was new lumber, so each hole in the 2X4 and 2X6 planks showed the color to good effect.
Though we discussed it, I never did try Crayons as a bullet lubricant. I don't know how well they work. Fact is, they'd probably be pricey to use.
But there sure was NO mistaking which bullet created the hole.
This might be useful in target competition. No one could deny it was your hole, with a red, blue or green smear around it.
Come to think of it, I knew a guy years ago who would lightly stamp the initial of his last name on his muzzleloading rifle balls. He loaded the ball stamp-down in the patch while hunting.
Seems, he'd lost a deer to another hunter who claimed it was HIS .50-caliber ball in the animal. He couldn't prove it was his and it got him to thinking.
A light tap on the base of the ball didn't affect accuracy any, and the stamped initial was protected by the patch. Don't know that he ever had to prove ownership again, but I suppose it gave him peace of mind while hunting.
Sheesh ... how did I wander so far off from the original subject?
Hey, if you ever want to reload black powder with lead bullets I have an excellent recipe for a bullet lubricant.
Found this in the pages of a 1943 American Rifleman magazine. It's an old, factory recipe for outside-lubricated bullets, such as the .22 rimfires and .32, .38 and .41 Long Colt.
But I've used it for felt wads for my cap and ball revolvers, patches for my .50 caliber muzzleloading rifle and lead bullets in my .44-40 and .45-70 rifles. It's an excellent lubricant and cheap to make.
To wit:
1 part paraffin (I use canning paraffin, found in the cooking section of the grocery store)
1 part mutton tallow (available from Dixie Gun Works)
1/2 part beeswax
All measurements are by weight, not volume. I use a kitchen scale to measure 200/200/100 grams of ingredients. This nearly fills a quart Mason Jar.
Fill the jar with the measured ingredients then place it in three to four inches of boiling water for a double-boiler effect (the safest way to melt greases and waxes).
When all ingredients are thoroughly melted, blend well with a clean stick or disposable chopstick.
Allow to harden at room temperature. Attempting to hasten hardening by placing in the refrigerator may cause the ingredients to separate.
This creates a lubricant nearly identical to commercially available black powder bullet lubricants, but it's much cheaper.
It's good stuff too! Keeps leading to a minimum and keeps the black powder fouling soft too.
I've also used it in my .357 Magnum at velocities up to about 1,200 without any significant leading.
When the jar of lubricant has cooled, put the screw-cap down tight and place it in a cool, dry place. I've never had it go rancid or separate on me. But then, I use it for so many different applications that it doesn't get much of a chance to sit around.
Hope this helps!
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline weinstein

Thanks Guys!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 03:54:27 PM »
Good heavens!  Look at all the responses!   :shock:

Thanks very much, sounds like I have a LOT to learn yet and a lot of info to digest.  I think I've seen the recipe for Felix lube out there somewhere, but what is the lube Billy makes and where can I get it?

Again, thank you all.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2003, 12:18:42 AM »
billys web sight is http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com/ there is info on ordering his lube there and links to the sights that you can find out about felix lube.
blue lives matter

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2003, 02:54:23 AM »
If you are not interested in making up your own lube, you can just buy the best also.  You can still get LBT Blue hard lube from Veral Smith's wife, Judy Smith, for $35 for ten sticks shipping included.  She could use the business too I've heard.  If you are interested, I'll send you the mailing address, just gotta dig it out.

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline weinstein

sure
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2003, 05:31:11 AM »
Always open for more info.  Email address in my profile.
Thanks

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 12:22:04 AM »
the last batch I got from Judy seemed a little harder then what the old stuff was I was mixing it with a softer lube. Did you notice this change.
Quote from: Graycg
If you are not interested in making up your own lube, you can just buy the best also.  You can still get LBT Blue hard lube from Veral Smith's wife, Judy Smith, for $35 for ten sticks shipping included.  She could use the business too I've heard.  If you are interested, I'll send you the mailing address, just gotta dig it out.

regards,
 Graycg
blue lives matter

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 09:48:38 AM »
Lloyd,
  I haven't gotten home to get my new blue yet, won't for another 6 weeks or so.  Frankly, I bought blue on several different occassions from Veral and found that it wasn't always very uniform in color or consistency, but the results were always outstanding.  I think that sometimes they sent blue, sometimes they sent commercial which is a little harder than blue.  I believe that Judy always has been the lube cook, even  when Veral was running the business.

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 12:45:45 PM »
I sure wont dissagree that the lbt soft is a great lube!
Quote from: Graycg
Lloyd,
  I haven't gotten home to get my new blue yet, won't for another 6 weeks or so.  Frankly, I bought blue on several different occassions from Veral and found that it wasn't always very uniform in color or consistency, but the results were always outstanding.  I think that sometimes they sent blue, sometimes they sent commercial which is a little harder than blue.  I believe that Judy always has been the lube cook, even  when Veral was running the business.

regards,
 Graycg
blue lives matter