Author Topic: Slug accuracy  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Slug accuracy
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:58:41 AM »
I'm thinking about getting an H&R or NEF with a rifled barrel and scope for deer.  I would not change barrels on this gun and would keep it strictly as a slug gun. I would choose a 12 gauge.

What kind of accuracy have you experienced shooting sabots in such a gun and which model would you recommend?

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Slug accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:08:25 AM »
I can promise you will enjoy the results of your hunting with that set-up, however, I would suggest the same rig but in 20ga.  The 12's are very light and may stomp a mud-hole in you with the recoil.  

Just my 2 cents ....  

Enjoy!
:D

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Slug accuracy
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 08:06:58 AM »
Well son...Have you got some options and choices ahead of you...

You can choose the Ultra Slugger in 12GA or 20GA:

or the Ultra Slugger Deluxe in 12GA or 20GA:

or the Tracker II in 12GA or 20GA:

The Ultra Sluggers do not come with rifle sites but they are drilled and tapped for a scope rail and the rail is already mounted on the barrel...You must purchase a scope and rings.  The Tracker II comes with rifle sites but is not drilled and tapped for a scope.  H&R recommends that you do not d&t the Tracker II but many here have done so successfully.

The Ultra Sluggers are quite a bit heavier than the Tracker II so the felt recoil is lower but they are tougher to haul around in the woods.  If you are a sitter then an Ultra Slug may be fine for you...If you love to stalk all day the Tracker II may be a good bet for you.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 3s3k

Slug accuracy
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 08:35:02 AM »
I will just add my 2cents on the subject used a 12ga for many moons then switched to a ushd in 20ga the accuracy is superb out to 125yds 2-3inch groups consistently and deadly on deer,so needless to the 12ga stays home from now on.GL

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
Slug accuracy
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
I live in Ohio and my deer gun has been a Remington 870 Express with a Mossberg fully rifled barrel.  It's pretty accurate with Lightfields, but I hate switching barrels to match the season.  I have a Huntsman in-line and like it so much that I think a single shot slug gun might be nice as I could leave it set up all year long.  The 870 would then be my turkey & duck gun.  Make sense to you guys?

I've always used a 12 gauge for slugs, but my small game gun is a 28, so I like the smaller gauges.  I don't think I've ever had a shot here beyond 50 yards anyhow.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Slug accuracy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 03:01:57 PM »
Do you walk or sit? If I were you I'd go with a 20ga, Tracker if you walk ultra if you sit. That said I just got a killer deal on a ported 12ga topper deluxe slug gun (don't make it anymore, never seen or heard of it before but it's just like the tracker2)on gun broker so keep your eyes on the auction sites and someone poste about some excellent prices at a gun show. This is the time of year to look for deals on deer guns. The next H&R I have planed is a 20ga ultra.Of course since I came up with that plan I've bought 3 H&Rs that were not the 20ga ultra.Getting a tracker2 in 20ga and having it Drilled and tapped is a good option as well. If your shots ar 50 yards or less another cool option would be a 12ga turkey gun with a cyl or i.c. choke. That way you get a great turkey gun out of the deal. Decisions ,decisions. Enjoy.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
Slug accuracy
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 07:07:13 AM »
I mostly sit so might go with an Ultra.  I doubt there is much difference between a 12 and a 20 at the ranges I normally shoot.

I got my deer in PA this year at less than 50 yards so the 30-06 was a bit of over kill. :wink:

I'll just keep my 870 as a turkey gun if I buy the Ultra.  The Ultra will then be shot with several brands of slugs until I find the most accurate.  My shoulder is beginning to ache just thinking about it.

My goal is to have a very accurate slug gun that stays a slug gun all year.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
Slug accuracy
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 07:40:23 AM »
S1P...If you plan to go the route of a dedicated slug gun then I think you cannot go wrong with the Ultra Slug Hunter...Sounds like you have already made up your mind anyway.  Now you need to decide if you want the Deluxe model or the standard...I like the Deluxe with the laminate stock...Looks really nice.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
Slug accuracy
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »
If you get the 20ga ultra your shoulder shouldn't hurt at all.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Slug accuracy
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 01:07:07 PM »
Markus and star1pup, if you interested, check the H&R classifieds for Deer & Ducks 20 gauge Ultra barrel....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline white eagle

Slug accuracy
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 02:40:10 PM »
Just my .02
I have and shoot a USH in 12 ga amd shoot alot out of it many diferent brands of ammo.I can't see any problem with recoil.I have read many times that the recoil will kill you but for me I have never really gave it much thought.Mine likes win. part gold and lightfields :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Slug accuracy
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 02:59:08 PM »
:D, Welcome aboard white eagle and thanks for the input and your expierence with the 12 gauge USH....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Tom H.

• Avid Poster
Slug accuracy
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 05:00:14 PM »
Hey Star

Put your money into a Tracker II in 20ga and with the money you save from the Ultra, have a smith drill and tap it for mounts and put a fixed 2.5 on it.
Nothing like having a "deer rifle" that weigh under 6.5# and really doesn't kick too badly.

Tom

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
Slug accuracy
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 09:17:54 AM »
I've owned both the 12 and 20 ultra's.  For what its worth, I now only own the 20ga.  (that 12 was punishing).  My deer shots are between 15 to 60 yards.  IMHO, a 20ga. is more than sufficient at those ranges as long as the shot is well placed.
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Slug accuracy
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 09:29:55 AM »
I must be dense but I don't find the recoil of my 12 gauge Handi laoded with 2 3/4" loads bad. If you want to shoot more and your shots are 75 yards and under (I am conservative, out to 100 yards in the real world) get a 12 gauge smooth bore and mount sights of some kind on it. For anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00 a box for the right slugs you can shoot more than using expensive sabots and can kill any deer around with one well placed slug....Sabots are great, just expensive....and not required for shorter ranges....IMHO....<><.... :grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
Slug accuracy
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 10:54:08 AM »
But isn't spending money on shooting stuff part of the fun of it all. There are a lot more slugs to try too. and new loads coming out every season. The old foster slugs havent changed in years. Well, maybe brenneke and dixie have some new stuff. A proper slug gun afficianado must have 12ga and 20ga rifled and smooth bore barrels anyway. The more obssessed will have 10 ga slug gun as well. I started this out tounge in cheek then realised I want all of theese!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Slug accuracy
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 11:20:43 AM »
You are a true Handiholic Markus, and I for one am proud of you for admitting it!!! That is the first difficult step on that long road to recovery!!! I on the other hand am not a Handiholic because I can quit anytime I want to, I just don't happen to want to because I enjoy it so much!!! I am not addicted, am I?....<><.... :-D

Offline Markus

• Moderators
Slug accuracy
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 11:39:33 AM »
I'm sure that If I started with the rifles it would lead to divorce. At least the shot guns are cheaper. I keep eyeing the Buff Classic.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
Slug accuracy
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 05:57:43 PM »
Any true handi-holic would have several receivers in his gun safe as well as enough "pipe" to plumb his house with...I need some more guns and I have that Ultra Varmint in 223 Rem sitting in my safe...The receiver, forend and stock may be making a trip back to H&R for a new barrel...Heck, I might just bite the bullet and buy a complete Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe in 20GA instead of messing around with the barrel accessory program.  That way the nice stock on my UV223 would not get buggered up in the shipping process...Oh boy, I need help...How do I explain to my wife that my gun safe is full?  She still thinks that there is plenty of room in there.

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Slug accuracy
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 11:51:36 PM »
You'll have to explain to her that Handi's, when left alone in the dark, make other Handi's. :wink:   This means that to stop or at least slow the reproduction your going to have to spend a lot more on ammo and a lot more time on the range.  Thats no guarantee that this will stop more from appearing but it's the closest thing to a cure we have come up with yet. :-D

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
Slug accuracy
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 03:46:09 AM »
Yo MSP...I don't want to sound like a sissy, I'm 6', 230...Let me rephrase....."the 12ga. 3" sabots slugs were more punishng that the 20ga".  The distances I am shooting didn't justify the extra weight and recoil of the 12ga.  Since these are strictly deer guns, I unloaded the 12ga. I do have a smoothbore 12ga slug barrell for my 870, but haven't used it in 18 years.  I don't recall how well it performed.  Might have to ressurect it this summer for another try.
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Slug accuracy
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 06:08:33 AM »
Ambushhunter, no slam intended, and we could probably exchange wardrobes!!! If you could call my sweatshirts and dungarees a wardrobe!!! It sounds as you did the smart thing, chose the gun and caliber/gauge to fit the task, congratulations for doing it the right way!!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
Slug accuracy
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 08:13:47 AM »
Sounds like you're a man of discriminating taste and style.....same as me!!!  :grin:
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA

Offline Dirty Tiger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
variety
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 05:35:28 AM »
Would choosing a 20ga limit your ammo options?

Are 20ga slugs more costly to shoot?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
Slug accuracy
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 03:39:31 PM »
Slightly smaller selection, about the same to cost to shoot but they make good effective slugs so I don't really see the need for the giant range of choices as long as there is one that works. Federal premiums w/the barnes expander bullet work great for me so why would I want more of a selection? I don't even have a 20ga yet but this issue of limited ammo options always comes up and I wonder how many choices we really need.  I am more of a hunter that a shooter though. Target shooting with a $2.00+ a shot gun is beyond my means. I shoot 2 rounds to confirm my zero and that's about it as long as there ain't a deer standing in front of me.