Author Topic: Javalina????  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Kirkned

• Trade Count: (2)
Javalina????
« on: January 25, 2003, 05:54:25 PM »
I have a tag for the HAM hunt in February Unit 20b, thats in Arizona for those that care, I was wondering if any one on this site might have some places to start looking I have been up Cow Creek but not much sign there also looked around Table Meza again not much sign any one seen much in this  unit or know where to find them this year it has been so dry that my old areas are no more.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I have hunted 20B before
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 12:45:32 PM »
I have a Arizona HAM javelina tag for 21 this year, but have hunted 20B before.  Contact me by e-mail and I will see if I can give you some ideas you may not have already thought of.

Offline Kirkned

• Trade Count: (2)
Success in 20b !
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 03:46:12 AM »
:grin:

It was on Monday 8:05am, spotted a herd of 9 pigs crossing a wash about 200 yards out. Made the stock to within 50 yards, pigs got nervous and started to move picked one of the mature ones. Fired the 6" .357, 158 grain SWHP hardcast, striking the pig in the spine right below the tail, rendering the rear legs useless. He went twenty yards before I had a clear shot.  At 20 yards, I fired another round this time striking him in the neck he was down and out. I only wish my first shot would have been all he needed. Can't wait until next year so I can do it again.

kirkned

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
Javalina????
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 07:53:14 PM »
Them things worth eating?? Just wondering, got a mental picture of one of them small piggies slow turning on a spit over some mesquite coals with an apple in his mouth and some BBQ sauce on his butt. :-D

Frog :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
They are good in burros and tomales
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 03:55:12 AM »
Well my javelina hunt ended yesterday with nothing but tracks, feeding sign, beds, and scent.  Even had them cut my track the day before yesterday.  They can be rather difficult to see as they often look like a small barrel cactus from a distance unless they move.  The only one that I did see was riding on the back of a quad.

They are delicious.  The way we prepare them is to soak the meat in ice water for about 5 days then boil it to shred it.  Then it is used to make burros and tomales.  Other folks have different ways of preparing it but if you keep the meat cool it's pretty good.

However they are ugly as all get out.

Offline ccanevit

• http://photos.canevit.com/huntingpics
Javalina????
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 04:51:50 PM »
I got mine turned into spicy summer sausage.
He stated good!