Author Topic: remington 1858 rifle?  (Read 550 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
remington 1858 rifle?
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:29:21 AM »
i know theis is a pistol forum but i didn't know where else to put it. cabelas has one of these carbine type things with a 18" barrel and i was wondering if anyody has any experiance with one of these? it will mostly be used for hunting grouse during muzzleloader deer season.
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
remington 1858 rifle?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:04:29 AM »
You got the right forum.
I have been eyeballing this gun in the Cabelas catalog.
I never have owned one but I bet it would be a pretty good shooter. With that long barrel it would really burn the powder, I bet it would have more velocity than the pistol.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Ramrod

remington 1858 rifle?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 11:22:36 AM »
How do you hold it? There is no forearm for a good reason.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
remington 1858 rifle?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 11:43:25 AM »
With the carbine shouldered, you place your left hand (if you are a right hander) under the  right hand for support. Reverse for lefties. This stance keeps your hands out if the way of chain fires and the flash from the cylinder gap. Sort of a modified two hand hold used with standard revolvers. These carbines are pretty effective and a blast to shoot. They are a little muzzle light, though, but you do get used to that. Quality is pretty good too, as they are built by Uberti. For potting grouse or other small game, it should prove very useful.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
remington 1858 rifle?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »
filmokentucky has it right...keep that off hand w2ell back of the front os the cylinder.  Will add a bit more:

It takes a bit to get use to the percussion caps going off that close to your face...do find loads/nipples/caps that don't fragment. The happer is pretty good protection, but it's still distrubing to have a cap fragments dinking off you shooting glasses.  IF you demand higher power loads, then try better replacemnt nipples and fiond a cap that will bend rather than shatter.

Keeping you hand behind the cylinder face is obvious...but even with your hand well behind, those that like to avoid the belt wad under teh ball type loading in favor of a cylinder full of grease may want to change their minds. I still use grease even though I use the felt wad, but i use a whole lot less.

----------
the stocked pistols aren't much differnt (just taht the noise is closer to your ear). Do belive the Rem. 1858 carbine is more accurate than the stocked revolvers, not just from better sights and increased sight radius, but froma lot betteer feel of the stock's grip....those detachables are pretty good, but still feel like you are gripping an after-thought.