Author Topic: Federal 20 ga. Hydra-shock sabots  (Read 438 times)

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Federal 20 ga. Hydra-shock sabots
« on: February 13, 2005, 06:15:21 AM »
Any body get a deer with these. the reason I was wondering I was digging in my backstop found a half dozen from sighting in last fall
no expansion the ones that didn't hit stones you could loaded again
was wondering how they do on deer the range was 100yds.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:09:10 PM »
If you punch a hole as big as the unexpanded round through the heart and lungs of a deer the expansion isn't that important. That being said I use the barnes expander in the federalpremiums be cause of the on game performance. I shot to this year and one this year and all dropped in their tracks.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Chainsaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 08:03:17 PM »
ww, I shot a 150 lb dressed whitetail with the 20 ga. Federal you are talking about that was facing me head on at 55 yards. The hour glass shaped projectile entered in the front brisket, 1/2 of the sabot entered with the slug and exited out the front shoulder and the slug was found lodged about 1 inch from exiting the rear ham. For lack off better words it almost went from front to back. The deer ran 150 yards and not a drop off blood. Luckily I saw the general direction and my buddy and I found the dead deer.

The slug was barely deformed, almost completely reloadable as you indicated. That said, those offerings from Federal are the most accurate rounds of any tried in my wifes 20 ga. rifled tracker. My 20 ga. rifled tracker doesn't do as well with any of the various rounds but is ok accuracy wise with Winchesters partition gold saboted rounds . I also am starting to use the Remington core-loktd. The ones I shot so far impact higher on the target and are about as accurate as the partition gold. The partition gold are great deer killers, as I have dropped most of the ones I shot with them right in their tracks, usually with good exit wounds that would leave a good blood trail..........Chainsaw