Author Topic: Are There Any Radio Buffs Here?  (Read 748 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Are There Any Radio Buffs Here?
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:37:28 PM »
I enjoy listening to AM talk radio while I'm working.  The problem is, I get terrible reception.  I would like to build a simple antenna to bring in the stations more clearly.  I do not have the option of running long wires outdoors.

Can anybody help me out?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Are There Any Radio Buffs Here?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
I enjoy listening to AM talk radio while I'm working.  The problem is, I get terrible reception.  I would like to build a simple antenna to bring in the stations more clearly.  I do not have the option of running long wires outdoors.

Can anybody help me out?
Dali Llama suggest that BamBams check out these tips:http://www.ehow.com/how_114031_strengthen-am-radio.html .
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »
Thanks.  I had already seen that, but unfortunately, none of that is going to quite do the trick for me.  I need to make an antenna.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 03:53:19 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Thanks.  I had already seen that, but unfortunately, none of that is going to quite do the trick for me.  I need to make an antenna.

Hey Greenie  :wink: Where about in Little California are you at, I get AM just fine up here hear Cheyenne.  If this is in your house, you can run speaker wire from the antenna input, and swirl it behind the entertainment center or dresser, etc.  That should do the trick.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 01:12:41 AM »
Quote from: SAWgunner
Little California
:shock:  :eek: Dali Llama say that be new terminology to him, but could aptly describe several states. :eek:  :shock:

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 02:29:50 AM »
Many Californians are moving to Colorado hence the monica "Little California" Dali.  Unfortunately CA has not broken off and fallen into the see soon enough and it's inhabitants are escaping.  :eek:  :lol:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
AM reception
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 02:34:27 AM »
I have the same problem.  If you are in a builing of commercial construction as I am an antenna will not help much.  The probem is the building construction vs the wavelength.  Most commercial buildings have a steel frame.  The FM signal has a short enough wavelength to pass between the beams but the AM signal has a much longer wave length and is blocked.  As an illustration look at your micr wave.  The little holes in the screen in the window are sized to be smaller than the wave  length of the radiation and block it while they are much larger than the wave length of the light and allow it to pass.

If an antenna is to work, it will have to be located outsdie or at least in a window.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:07:11 AM »
Quote from: Brett
Many Californians are moving to Colorado hence the monica "Little California" Dali.  
:) Dali Llama say that perhaps "moniker" would be more appropriate terminology, or do there be Lewinsky connection? :)  :-D  :)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 03:22:58 PM »
Bam Bams;
   I'm no good at transferring info to this forum, but if you will just do a search for   ..  TERK indoor AM antenna  ...I think you will find what you are looking for..

I know just what you mean...I like AM radio also, esp while I'm working...

Last Christmas I bought my son an XM radio setup, he takes it with him in his over-the-road 18-wheeler...he says it's just about the nicest gift he has received in years...
  Like myself, he enjoys talk radio..Rush. Hannity, Coulter, and the rest.
  He can get about 24 hrs per day of static free, fade free talk radio.

Once in a while, just for laughs...he tunes into Lib talk radio Al Franken(stein), Jim Hightower....all that " Liberal logic"...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
radio
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 06:57:12 PM »
I'm a ham and I've done this one myself to help with local AM stastions that were too weak. Get yourself a spool of new wire as long as you'll need for the application. Take one end as high up in your house as you can and secure it there. Run the wire down to where you want the radio to be and get a large round container of some kind. An oatmeal box is the about right. Wind 40-60 turns around the box and tape everything in place so you can slide the wire off the box and it will still retain it's shape. Run the other end of the wire to a good ground. The ground is very important here make sure it is a GOOD ground. Take your AM radio and move it around this coil of wire to get your best reception.

If al of this sounds like too much you can go to the website for the C.Crane Company and either get a radio that is more suited to your needs or you can buy a "Select-a-tenna" that will also help.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 01:04:41 AM »
Quote from: ironglow
he tunes into Lib talk radio Al Franken(stein), Jim Hightower....all that " Liberal logic"
Do not "liberal logic" be an oxymoron, ask Dali Llama?

Offline savageT

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 03:43:48 AM »
Bambams,
I am told that AM radio signals are not what they once were in the days of the "super clear-channel stations of the past"  We have a local station that plays oldies that are aimed at the "Gray-power" generation.  During day light hours, everything is fine, but their power gets cut down at sunset to the point of worthless....something the FCC has done for some mysterious reasons??  
What to do????  As some have already explained, steel and mortar commercial buildings do a pretty good job of filtering out RF signals and there are no easy fixes except for one I know of.  It's called the General Electric "Super" Radio that has been made in a few models over the years.  I don't know if they are still available, but I have one of the originals.  They were portable AM-FM with a relatively big speaker/speakers and ran on both 115vac and 4-D cell batteries.  When these radios were designed back in the late70's, it was not only their intention to create good sound, but also to have good selectivity and sensitivity. Signal strength is everything.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 11:33:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I found some plans on the Internet and made an antenna.

Problem is solved.  I built a 12" loop antenna - cost = zero, and I can now pick up all kinds of stuff.  It is directional also.  I made it from 1x2s, some epoxy, and about 20 feet of steel wire.  It is just what the doctor ordered.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 04:48:21 PM »
Quote from: savageT
there are no easy fixes except for one I know of.  It's called the General Electric "Super" Radio that has been made in a few models over the years.  
Dali Llama say he possess aforementioned radio, and it do have excellent reception. :grin: