Author Topic: Which .45 acp???  (Read 1515 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Which .45 acp???
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:46:55 PM »
I was looking at buying me a new toy,a .45 semi.Have looked at Springfield,Auto-Ord,Ruger,Smith,Colt,ect...What Iam looking for is the best one I can get the cheapest.In ya'lls opioion what is the best for the money?I prefer the 1911 type or close to it........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »
Springfield Mil-spec. I have one and would not get rid of it for anything. Extremely accurate and functions flawlessly and price ir real good.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
Hawk,what do you think of the GI .45 mod from Springfield?Looked up Mil-spec too.Looks good!!!I think I like the GI best,except for the old type of sights.But probably doesn't matter cuz I can't hit anything at any distance anyway :lol: .Thanks for your opioin (sp?)...........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 10:09:29 PM »
From what I read here in this town, and, from some others I visit, the SA is a very good base gun. Matter of fact, the professional smiths over at the pistolsmith sight will reccommend it as a base for a pro build or custom build. Now this is not over the Colt but as a good base.
The general feelings are that there are some things that you will want to change out to make it a very reliable roscoe but it is pretty good rat off.
If you can get deputy, Mikey, or BamBams involved in the conversation they can advise you better than I on some of the changeouts you might consider along the way.
Hope you get it and enjoy that blaster.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 01:31:47 AM »
Quote from: ihuntbucks
Hawk,what do you think of the GI .45 mod from Springfield?Looked up Mil-spec too.Looks good!!!I think I like the GI best,except for the old type of sights.But probably doesn't matter cuz I can't hit anything at any distance anyway :lol: .Thanks for your opioin (sp?)...........Rick

My buddy bought a GI.45 and it shoots great. I was impressed with the accuracy. One good thing also is you can add Wilson Combat parts to dress it up a little, later down the road. I added a lot of Wilson Combat parts to my Mil-Spec and it shot as well as my Kimber Stainless Target II.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline dan61psu

Which .45 acp???
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 04:14:21 AM »
I am personally a huge fan of the Kimber line of .45 ACPs...

Check out the Kimber Custom II if you are looking around the SA Mil-Spec price range plus a little.  

When i looked at them, the Kimber's seemed much smoother than the SAs in terms of slide action, trigger pull, hammer cock, etc.  They almost seem to 'fit' together better.

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 06:16:18 AM »
I've carried a Kimber Custom for about 10 years -- and I've yet to find a better gun.  The fit, accuracy, reliability -- and especially the trigger -- are superb.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 07:20:45 AM »
My kimber custom is the best 1911 I have ever owned, and I've had several.  Accurate, reliable, and it comes with all the dress-ups you will ever need.  I consider it a bargain.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 10:49:08 AM »
I have the GI version in full size and Commander size. Other than the Commander size not locking back on Chip McCormick mag, they have both been flawless. Factory mags and military surplus both work fine. Both are accurate and fit and finish is good. Not knocking any others, but my Springfields are great.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 11:26:49 AM »
I forgot to add, I sold my Kimber after I saw how well my Springfield Mil-Spec out shot my Kimber.  :-D I am talking accuracy.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 12:43:27 PM »
i just came home with a barely used ruger p90 stainless from a local pawn shop today. the guy threw in a set of hogue wrap around finger groove grips and a box of american ammo. out the door for 310 bucks
i have owned just abt every configuration of 45auto there is and the ruger never let me down before i dont expect this one will either.
i would still have the first one but money problems caused us to have to part ways.
true enough they are a little thicker than some of the other styles but i carried it comfortably concealed while running some errands this evening with no problems
just my two on it
sureshot

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 06:53:32 AM »
ihuntbucks - just about the best for less is the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1.  It is just about the best 'starter' or all-around platform you can get, and if you wish to progress from there to a more sophisticated or 'tricked out' competetion piece I don't feel you can go wrong with the Springfield line of 1911s.  

Right out of the box mine functioned flawlessly.  I have since 'tricked' it out with a beavertail grip safety, flat mainspring housing, Chip McCormick hammer and trigger parts and an Ed Brown accuracy barrel.  She breaks even at 3 pounds and groups under 2" at 25 yds with hardball.  I couldn't ask for anything better and would recommend the Springfield line to you.  

And, after you have shot the pistol out you can always go for a more expensive model in some other manufacturer's line, or go right on back to Springfield for one of their enhanced models.  

All of this is, of course, just my opinion, but mine works just fine for me.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 07:44:33 AM »
Mikey I can't add a thing to what you wrote. I also tricked mine out and it looks great.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 08:33:12 AM »
Ruger P95 , P97 or P345, for the money, they cannot be beat......... :D

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Re: 45
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »
Quote from: poncaguy
Ruger P95 , P97 or P345, for the money, they cannot be beat......... :D

I had Ruger's and they are gone. They have a tendency to jam and stove pipe. I will stick with the Springfield.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
Rugers
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 10:02:56 AM »
I have a  P95 and a P90 and they have never jammed or failed to fire in anyway.......... 8)

Offline charlie45

45's
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 02:10:12 PM »
around here springfield gi and ruger 345 are tops, i don't personally own either yet but the ruger 345 sure looks great and fits my hand so good.
for what its worth! my 2 cents.
if its worth doing, finish it!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »
I'm happy with my Colt. :)
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2005, 08:04:21 PM »
Thanks for input guys.I went to SE Guns in Trussville,Al. today.Matter of fact I was there twice.Looked at Colt,Kimber,Springfield,S&W,Ruger.....Man this is tuff.I liked all of them.Took wife with me and the 2nd trip there she couldn't bellieve I didn't get one  :? .The guy there said Kimber if I wanted to get a "real" gun.But he had good things to say about the rest also.Also looked at Dan Wesson;liked it too.Maybe by next week I will have made my mind up...................Rick

Offline williamlayton

Which .45 acp???
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2005, 10:39:32 PM »
Yer jest foolin yerownself, come on admit it, ya want em all. That doan make ya a bad person, just a person.
As far as the flavor--
Well Kinber and Kahrs are good.
SA's are good guns as a base,
Colts--WEll it's a Colt
You will be back.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2005, 02:13:43 AM »
Quote from: ihuntbucks
Thanks for input guys.I went to SE Guns in Trussville,Al. today.Matter of fact I was there twice.Looked at Colt,Kimber,Springfield,S&W,Ruger.....Man this is tuff.I liked all of them.Took wife with me and the 2nd trip there she couldn't bellieve I didn't get one  :? .The guy there said Kimber if I wanted to get a "real" gun.But he had good things to say about the rest also.Also looked at Dan Wesson;liked it too.Maybe by next week I will have made my mind up...................Rick

You pay a little more for the Kimber name IMO.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Here are two more cents!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 07:36:19 AM »
I have Colt and Kimber.

Colt is old GI and is flawless in function and lacking in accuracy.

Kimber is a SuperMatch and is incredible as it should be for the price.

If I was going for another target 45 I would take a good hard look at Dan Wesson.  

I do not own Springfield but the others that have recommended it tell it straight.

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Tacoma

• Avid Poster
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 08:20:26 AM »
I used to have a 90's vintage springfireld 1911 ( milspec) that was OK but needed several trips to the smith to make it relaible. Latter I got a 70 series gold cup that shot nice but cost a fortune. 2 years back I got a S&W 1911 and ended up selling the other two off. Absolutely great gun. All the custom features and details  that most users would want but without the huge price tag. reliability and accuracy are noteworthy.  I believe you can still find last years versionss, brand new for $600 or so if you look around teh net. .  Best bang for the $ in a 1911 IMHO.

Offline Don45

Which .45 acp???
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 09:06:26 AM »
Have you looked at Para Ordnance   http://www.paraord.com/
I myself have not owned one but have tried one and liked it, and I have talked to a few people that own them and they are happy with theirs.
I currently own a Colt MK IV series 80 and like it, but if I was to buy another .45 acp I would take a serious look at the Para myself.

Don

Offline sawfish

• Avid Poster
Which .45 acp???
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 11:44:15 AM »
8) The original question was the best gun for the money.  I do not consider myself a "Ruger person", but bought a Ruger .45 just to see.  I own other .45 autos, but  I think it is the best gun for the least money.  Mine is extremely accurate, carries well, and has never missed a hitch.  All of this without being "tricked up", which adds considerably to the price of the gun.

That being said, I would rather have my 1917 Colt New Service, or my Smith M. 25.  Six shots, instant reload via full moon clip.  More accurate than most any "out of the box" standard .45 ACP, and you don't have to chase those dern empty cases all over the range. :D
No such thing as too dead.