Author Topic: Testing reliability of self defense ammo in my gun?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Testing reliability of self defense ammo in my gun?
« on: February 17, 2005, 08:26:55 AM »
How many rounds of a specific ammo should i feed through my hi-power before I should be confident that the ammo with my gun is reliable? 50? Thanks

Offline Sgtshultzy1

• Trade Count: (1)
Testing reliability of self defense ammo in
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 10:57:05 AM »
Lots of variables here..is it a new gun or is it broken in?  What do you use the gun for...target or protection or law enforcement use?  Firearm age..condition?

Not only should the gun shoot reliably, but you also want to make sure the magazines are reliable also.  Personally..I think 50 is no where near enough and would look toward at least a 300 mark with proper care during the course of firing that many rounds.  I know this may seem extreme but without knowing your experience with this piece the question is difficult to answer.

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Testing reliability of self defense ammo in my gun?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 11:41:47 AM »
Quote from: Terry1
How many rounds of a specific ammo should i feed through my hi-power before I should be confident that the ammo with my gun is reliable? 50? Thanks
.........As SGT states ...it depends on if the gun is new or already broken in.......I like to shoot about the 300 round mark of ball ammo or similar cheaper ammo first to get the slide rails and frame mated and check the magazines.......then using GOOD magazines mark them for identification so you can keep them seperate and after giving them a good cleaning ,load them with duty type ammo of your choice and shoot each magazine ...fully loaded and with only 2 or 3 in the magazine........if NO problems arise after two test firings in EACH mag then clean the gun and mags and pratice at the range as able.....IF any problems in feeding or extraction.....then polish the feed ramp, check the chamber for burrs and the mag lips and follower for burrs ect........inspect the rounds of ammo for any deformed mouth/bullet joints and high primers.......good luck and good shooting.....hopefully at fun targets only!!!

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
reliability confidence
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:17:15 PM »
My opinion is similar.

First I run 200 rounds through a pistol as a break in period.  During this period I don't worry too much about reliability if it skips a couple. (Assuming it was new, if obviously used, I skip this step.)  This can be done with hardball or whatever.

Then I expect it to run 200 rounds of the serious load without a hitch.  If it skips a beat then it's back to the start of the 200 round run.  Possibly with some trouble shooting as may be indicated.

Bottom line is it has to complete an unbroken string of 200 rounds of the intended carry load before it's a carry piece.