Author Topic: 1300 pump, any good?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline BoneDigger

• Trade Count: (0)
1300 pump, any good?
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:07:23 PM »
I just bought one because it felt great, like an extension of my body, and I thought it looked good in Walnut.  Anyone here have a 1300 and if so, what are your impressions?  Any troubles or things to watch for?

Todd

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:31:39 PM »
I enjoy mine alot.  Honestly (and I have alot of shotgun experience) a pump gun is a pump gun.  I feel more comfortable with my 1300 and 870 than I do my Black eagle.  The 1300 is a great gun.  Mine swings great for me, handles well and I have used it from Quail, chukkar and Pheasant to Squirrels and ducks.  I love these guns, and you shouldn't be dissapointed.  One negative is that for every item for 1300's there are 1000 accessories for the 870.  If you look around, you will find what you need, but some shops don't carry accessories and parts for the 1300.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 04:55:12 AM »
B-Digger,
I had one in the synthetic stock until my son appropriated it (not that I am complaining). It is a good pump gun and we've not had any problems yet. We just give it a good cleaning after shooting and so far it has not let us down.

Safe shooting.

Offline rwullsch

1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 02:09:58 PM »
I have a Winchester 1300.  I was considering trading it for a Remington 870 before the pheasant season.  Not anymore!  I really like the gun.  It has worked flawlessly for me.  Finding accessories for it like a poster is a problem.  But that just requires a little more research.  I think you won't regret your decision to purchase one.  I also have a 20 gauge 870 that is almost 30 yrs old.  It works great also.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:38:16 AM »
I bought a black shadow model just before they started stamping Speed Pump on all the recievers. Probably about 6 years ago now. I love the gun but hate the stock. I have plans and patterns drawn up to make a stock resembling those on 1897 winchester shotguns, and fitted a little more accurately to my build than the factory stock too. Stocks are always going to be a compromise on a factory gun, so I don't hold anything against them for it. The gun functions fast and flawlessly.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »
i love mine. i took it pheasant hunting and decided i am never getting rid of it. it hits right where i want and is a looker too, with very nice wood.

i also think it just looks classier than the remingtons and mossys.

the only things i dont like are the safety in front of the trigger....belongs on top of the receiver like the mossy. and i wish it was a little lighter...its made on a 12 gauge frame and you can tell after carrying it all day.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 04:53:22 AM »
I have a 20 gauge Winchester 1300 XTR . Real nice curly walnut stock. Excellent quality.

coyote trapper1928
coyote trapper1928

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
1300 pump, any good?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 05:54:19 AM »
My first shotgun was a Winchester 1300 with a high gloss walnut stock.

I loved that gun and used it for everything from dove to turkeys.  I had to make sure an clean it every so often or the action would lock up when you tried to cycle another shell into the chamber, but other than that it was flawless.

I wish I still had that shotgun, but I got a hankering for a Benelli :?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters