Author Topic: One heck of a shot  (Read 656 times)

Offline Carroll B

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
One heck of a shot
« on: February 28, 2005, 06:49:40 AM »
As I was eating my venison sausage and eggs on Saturday morning I was watching a deer hunt on one of the outdoor channels.  They were in somewhere in Texas.  I missed what type of rifle the guy was shooting.  He had 6-8 deer grazing and he was in a blind-type stand, up about 20 feet.  The one deer he wanted walked off the dirt road into the bushes.  He wistled but couldn't get the deer to stop.  Then the deer turned and walked back out into the open.  The guy took him as the deer was walking directly away from him.  He shot and the deer fell over without taking a step.  You could see the bullet strike the deer in the video.  The other guy in the stand says, "man what a shot.  How far was that?"  They used a range finder and it was 450 yards!.  I thought man this guy drops a deer at 450 yards like I would shoot one at 30 yards.  I think the shooter was one of the guides on the ranch where they were hunting.  Wish I would have heard what caliber he was shooting.  I guess I need to practice on some ground hogs this summer to build my confidence in my shooting ability.
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
One heck of a shot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 07:52:06 AM »
I didn't see that program, don't get T.V. here. Shooting from above on a deer walking away and drop's it instantly; sounds like a neck shot. One heck of a shot but, if he had been off target just a bit either way or a breeze had blown the bullet off just a bit and ripped out a chunk of meat, would it still be on heck of a shot? We never hear about animals wounded with those shot's nor do we see to much of it. I'm well aware that there are a lot of shooter's capable of making shot's like that. But just as in your case it incourages people to try it themselves.

With today's cartridge's 300 yds is still a very long way but, properly zeroed in there are some that have a max point blank range way out there. I think that might make 300 yds reasonable, IF, the person doing it has access to three hundred yard ranges AND practices a lot at those ranges,AND practices at those range's in the field.

I also got from your post that they never used the range finder until after the shot. Go out and try to pick out an object at 450 yds. Measure it and see how close you come on a regular basis. Maybe I'm being a bit snooty but I deplore those kinds of shooting. Do you think that shot would have been taken at that range on a truely dangerious animal? I don't think so!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
One heck of a shot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »
450yds. and they didn't put the rangefinder on him first? Not a wise move. Way too much can happen just to shoot and hope. As for guessing range...most can't for squat. Had a kid shooting with me one day as an example. Fresh out of the Marines, swore that a stump was at 1000yds., I guessed 800, rangefinder said 742 yards. Would've been a clean miss for the both of us.

Offline JPSaxMan

One heck of a shot
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 05:23:25 PM »
Quote from: quigleysharps4570
450yds. and they didn't put the rangefinder on him first? Not a wise move. Way too much can happen just to shoot and hope. As for guessing range...most can't for squat. Had a kid shooting with me one day as an example. Fresh out of the Marines, swore that a stump was at 1000yds., I guessed 800, rangefinder said 742 yards. Would've been a clean miss for the both of us.

Definetly not a wise decision. From 450 yards, a flippin mayfly in the way of the bullet trajectory will send it off course nonetheless a cross wind or etc :eek: . Wow...a heck of a shot.... :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding