Author Topic: Question for XD40 owners  (Read 793 times)

Offline TomC1426

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for XD40 owners
« on: February 13, 2005, 01:23:25 PM »
I looking hard at purchasing the XD40, but having never shot this cal I wondering what kind of recoil it will have. Not to worried about myself, but wondering if too much for the wife.

Thanks
Tom

Offline denvas

• Avid Poster
Question for XD40 owners
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 05:08:39 AM »
Judging recoil and what is too much of it is a real subjective issue. For example I have the XD40 Tactical and love to shoot it. My 16 year old daughter also loves to shoot it. So much so in fact that she is now calling it her gun. However, my 39 year old girlfriend, who was born and raised around guns and is an avid shooter, does not like to shoot it. She feels the recoil is to excessive for her and does not feel comfortable with it. She has decided to stick with her 9mm. The only thing you can really do is find a 40 for your wife to try and then let her decide.
Denvas
May the wind always blow in your face and the sun always shine over your shoulder. Then your prey will be unable to smell you and unable to see you until after they hear the crack of your shot!

Offline Peddler Parsons

Question for XD40 owners
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 02:31:04 AM »
I have a XD 40 4" and love it
Had a S&W 9mm that to me had a heavyer recoil than the 40 also a 357  that is now in the safe: the recoil on it is more than the XD 40.
You might try a shooting range I am sure someone would help you out.
Peddler Parsons
SASS # 31281  R.O. II
SBSS # 259
Shooter of the Holy Black

Offline Seafarer

Relative recoil factor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 05:37:47 AM »
A while ago before I decided to get back into reloading I purchased a copy of Ammo & Ballistics by Bob Forker. In it he list about every cartgidge for every gun caliber still avaible. In it he has what is called the "relative recoil factor". If you shoot a .357 comfortably and want to know what a .40 feels like you can compare relative recoil. The .357 is 0.89 the .40 is 0.74. The .44 magnum is 1.45. He tells you what type of gun was used in testing also.
He also list what is called "Taylors Knock-out Index. This is given with the info on each cartridge sold. This will let you compare a known loading to an unknown. For example if a Winchester 110 grain JFP with a Taylor KO Index of 6.6 at 25 yards gets the job done, a .40 Winchester 140 grain JSP will certainly also, as it has a KO Index of 8.7 at 25 yards.
Hope this helps, for about $20 I find I still use this even though I reload.
Seafarer
NRA
S&W Collectors Association
Gun Owners of NH
Colt Collectors
NHRA

Offline ShottieMan

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Question for XD40 owners
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 07:27:54 PM »
I just got the 3" XD in .40 and have a Walther P99 in 9mm. I think that the .40 has more "push". The 9mm is more "snappy". That is the best way that I can describe it.

Offline TomC1426

Thanks for the replies
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 09:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and purchased the XD-40 4" in the .40 s&w. Took it to the range shooting 180 grain megtec (think that's right :? ) and found the gun very pleasant to shoot. Some recoil but I was able to get back on target quickly. Tried with one hand and still seemed to be very good. Years ago I had a Smith & Wesson .357 with a 6" barrell, and as best I can recall the XD has way less recoil. Haven't had a chance to take the wife to the range yet, but I'm sure she won't have any problems.

My only complaint with this gun is that once the slide is back and locked the side tab for return is almost impossible to operate without first pulling the slide back slightly and then pressing it. Gun shop said it should get easy the more I shoot it. Have any of you experienced this?

Thanks again,
Tom

Offline ShottieMan

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Question for XD40 owners
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 07:34:23 PM »
Yeah....Was a bit tight when I first got mine. It gets better. Has a different push than most other tab's.

Offline BoatVet

Question for XD40 owners
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 06:39:38 PM »
TomC-
            Good choice on the XD-40. I have been carrying one at work for over a year and really like it. As far as recoil for a .40 cal it has the lightest I've felt, I can swith from target ammo, work ammo, and my home defense corbons with little to no difference. I did not have any trouble with my slide release lever being to tight, it was fine right out of the box. But I have expereinced that with other autos and they do tend to loosen up with after range time and multiple take downs for cleaning. For a side note on this, my company just issued Glock 22's to everyone for standerdizing all the officers to same weapon. I own a Glock 26 that I really like but the Glock 22(.40cal) feels awful after the XD40. It shoots fine but is very uncomfortable compared to my XD40. If you take down the two comparable guns side by side you can see that springfield basically copied the glocks designs but beefed everything up. Larger slide rails, real steel spring guide with double springs instead of plastic ones like the Glock. enough of my ramplings. Enjoy your new pistol.