Author Topic: Tape on scope rings?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline LouisV

• Trade Count: (0)
Tape on scope rings?
« on: February 19, 2005, 04:05:10 PM »
I've seen my local gunsmith put tape inside the rings when mounting a scope. What kind of tape is this? Is it really nessasary?  Will any other tape work? I just never remember to ask when I'm in his shop. LouisV

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Tape on scope rings?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 07:20:40 PM »
I've never heard of such a thing.  Sounds like he is doing this to avoid scratch marks on the tube (kinda like the intended purpose of synthetic inserts as used in Burris rings).  

I guess that, depending on the tape, that it will avoid straches (at least to some degree) but how long will that tape last under the environment????  I would guess that the elements would get to it eventually.

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Tape on scope rings?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 07:48:40 PM »
Purpose is to avoid scope movement under recoil. Some use rosin also. He obviously didn't lap the rings and likely didn't even use alignment bars to make sure they were right either. If you do the job right you don't need such fixes. If you don't then you have more problems than scope slipping.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Tape on scope rings?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 05:10:03 PM »
The only time I have used it was the few times I used Burris rings which come with it.  Ever time the scoped moved and spit the tape out also.  Funny though, the scope never moved without.  Talk about a fix that is not needed.  If I use Burris rings now, I just throw the tape away.