Author Topic: Independent veification  (Read 564 times)

Offline ribbonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Independent veification
« on: April 06, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »
Anyone have both a Rem. 58 and a Colt 1860...and if you do, what weight of powder will each cylinder hold?  Not talking about suggested loads, want to verify the volume...so talking about a cylinder filled and struck level.  Realize they are both counterbored (small diameter at the nipple) so volume won't just be based on cylinder length, it also depends on the length of the counterbore.

In the case of 36's (1851 vs. .36 rem.) the longer Rem. cylinder comes out to about 18% larger volume. From a pressure standpoint, that just may be wasted space as the suggested loads ae not any higher for the longer cylinder.

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Independent veification
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 04:43:29 AM »
An interesting question for which I have no answer.

I suggest you get your answer in volume (cc) of water because powder volume fluctuates with grain size and compression or vibration or other.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Independent veification
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:34:57 AM »
I just popped the cylinders on my Uberti circa 2004, 60 colt army and 58 remington.  Chambers heald 48 grains of swiss ffg struck off level as you said.  Jim Taylor has managed to load 37 grains of black under a ball in original Remingtons and clocked velocities in the 1,000 fps range.  

I've shot 35 grains of swss in both of mine getting 1031 with the Colt Army and 1089 from the Remington.  Wouldn't be surprised if the number reversed themselves or got closer together with a large sample.

The .36 NMN seem to do alright with a chamber full of propellant. I don't take the instructions packaged with these revolvers as authoritativly overriding the original " fill the chambers with powder and press in a ball"- or something to that effect. The generic instructions seem to have been bandied about between english and italian and they recommend the same charges for the Dragoons as for the Smaller belt revolvers.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Independent veification
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 05:29:52 AM »
Thanks...the Rem. Cylinder is longer, and suspected it has more volume. Is that way with the .36, and as the 44 version is the same length, then was depending on the conterbore's depth.

Know in the .36 Rem., there is a 18% increase in volume...so takes 18% more powder to seat the ball the same distance from the cylinder's end.

Not a recommended loading, and not real useful as those .380" ball don't seem to shoot well at those speeds (and of course, the more powder your burn, the more rapidly fouling builds up).

Just wondering...was shooting a Colt Navy and rem. .36 side by side, and while it's obvious when you look at them, it escaped me until I found that when using the same charges in both was (1) not getting the powder compression I like with a 25gr. charge and (2) when getting the right compression feel on the Rem. (32gr.) was having to over-crunch the Colt.

If  I'm lazy, 28gr. works well enough for playing around in both....the Colt just gets a ball over the powder then grease, the Rem. first gets a felt wad under the ball.