Author Topic: Want to learn to hunt with my son in Alabama...?'s for y'all  (Read 1180 times)

Offline fignozzle

• Trade Count: (0)
Want to learn to hunt with my son in Alabama...?'s for y'all
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:35:05 AM »
One of the COOL things that's happening as a result of having moved to AL is that my 13 yr old son and I are growing closer. We get the Sportsman's Channel, and he's fascinated by the hunts. He's decided he doesn't want to hunt large game, but as a result of what he's seen, he's interested in hunting smaller game-- anything like Turkey, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse, quail, duck, geese, and so on.

He's never hunted before, and it's been 25 years since I have.
How do we get into it?
I assume with bird-hunting, we need to buy shotguns.
I bought my son a Rossi with exchangeable barrels in 22lr and 20gauge, single shot (teach him to make each shot count).
What's a good shotgun at a reasonable price for me?  Best place to buy?

Where do we find a place to hunt?
Guided, or...?

What equipment do we need?

What else do we need to know?

Sorry for sounding so lost, but my focus has always been defensive pistol, so this is a whole new universe for me.
This kind of hunting just seems like such a great relationship-builder as well as a load of fun. We're both looking forward to the learning process.

Thanks in advance,
Fig

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Want to learn to hunt with my son in Alabam
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 07:04:31 PM »
Man, that's a LOT of ground to cover in one post.

One of the COOL things that's happening as a result of having moved to AL is that my 13 yr old son and I are growing closer. We get the Sportsman's Channel, and he's fascinated by the hunts. He's decided he doesn't want to hunt large game, but as a result of what he's seen, he's interested in hunting smaller game-- anything like Turkey, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse, quail, duck, geese, and so on.

Central Alabama isn't too definitive so I can't address what might or might not apply to where you are. Turkey is pretty much state wide as are rabbits and squirrel. Those should be pretty easy to find and you'll find plenty of public land with them in most areas of the state. Check into what WMAs or CHAs are near you. Check the Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Homepage at: http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/agfd/ for locations. Duck and goose hunting is a bit spotty and more available down near the gulf or up in the northern part of state. I don't do waterfowl hunting so can't be much help to you on that.

Quail hunting is very expensive when and where you find it. Preserves do cater to that and pheasant as well as chuker in some cases. These will be planted birds not wild stock. Bird hunting in the south just isn't what it once was. Dove will be easier to locate.

He's never hunted before, and it's been 25 years since I have.
How do we get into it?
I assume with bird-hunting, we need to buy shotguns.
I bought my son a Rossi with exchangeable barrels in 22lr and 20gauge, single shot (teach him to make each shot count).
What's a good shotgun at a reasonable price for me? Best place to buy?

First you're going to need to get him a Hunter Safety Course if he hasn't already got a certificate. You too maybe depending on age but if it's been 25 years since you hunted you likely are old enough not to require it. But go with him to the course.

A good shotgun for you would be a 20 or 12 ga. and a pump will do fine as long as you're willing to learn to use it. Otherwise a semiauto or double barrel either SxS or O/U. I've used all of them sucessfully. To get proficient at the use of those shotguns find a place to shoot skeet or sporting clays. The folks there can also be your best source of info on where to do the bird hunting. I'd recommend a Rem. 870 for a pump or a Remington 1100 or 1187 for a semiauto. If you want a double we'll talk more about that.

Where do we find a place to hunt?
Guided, or...?

Bird hunting will likely be guided. And really most likely on a preserve or private lodge. We can talk more specifics later. Don't know where you are so not sure where to point you.

What equipment do we need?

For birds? Shotguns and shells plus a place to use them.

What else do we need to know?

Needs more discussion than a general question like that can provide. We'll talk more in future posts.

Sorry for sounding so lost, but my focus has always been defensive pistol, so this is a whole new universe for me.
This kind of hunting just seems like such a great relationship-builder as well as a load of fun. We're both looking forward to the learning process.

Yup can be. Hang around and continue to ask and we'll see if we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 12:16:16 AM »
Hook up with a conservation club,have your son ask pals at school if they hunt.Buy a 12 or 20 pump w/choke tubes.Spend some time right here.Get  it while you can cause when he finds out bout girls he'll be hunting something else.My son and I didn't make hunting buddies but my grandson Troy is my true hunting partner.
Do it it's worth it,
lizzzard

Offline reyn 61

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »
Try squirrel hunting first. They are easy to locate and its easy to get started and find areas to hunt. You will have to wait til Oct. though. Squirrel season just closed. :(

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 05:23:16 AM »
You're in a great state to get started and finding this forum will only spped up you're knowledge of this great sport. Greybeard has given you some great advice already. Especially the part about attending the Hunter Safety Course with your son, that will not only refresh your memory, but start the bonding process with your son. I have a 13 y/o as well and we can talk about the best caliber for deer for over an hour!! Then we start on stand placement!!! Most guys I know can't talk to their sons for that long about any subject, so it is a great way to build something that will last a lifetime, right into spending time with the grandkids as mrlizzzard stated.
Squirrel season is over, but spring turkey is right around the corner and it is a great partner hunting species. Learn to call and see if you can't call one in for your son to shoot, you'll see a big grin on his face! Even if you don't get anything, trying will be time well spent!!
Best of luck and stick around here, there is a wealth of knowledge here that can't be found anywhere else!!!
Cheers,
R
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek: