Author Topic: HR/NEF CS Q&A with Jennifer  (Read 950 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
HR/NEF CS Q&A with Jennifer
« on: February 22, 2005, 11:47:47 PM »
I had questions about 'Special Run' items, like the ones some of you have found and purchased from local stores.  Like, laminated-straight stock Pardners and such.  How do you know about these, are they advertised or is there some sort of news release, that sort of stuff?
I was told that large distributors order all sorts of different things to their own whims and that's where this stuff comes from.
I asked many questions about what you can have done at the factory.  In a nut shell, they will fit just about any combination of stocks and barrels together for you.  You need only to send them a receiver to work from and they will do your bidding as long as it is compatable with the receiver.
I was also told that it will be at least a couple months before the  TDC 20ga. will start to hit the stores.  
So, if you are in the market for something UNIQUE, start by getting hold of the type of receiver you want and go from there.

FOR THE RECORD, Jennifer was very pleasant and very helpful.  I too, have had less than courtious conversations with Jennifer in the past, but the last couple of times I have called with questions, she was very nice.
THANKS TO JENNIFER for the great info.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:16:56 AM »
Cookieman,

I am sure Jennifer got the message that some of us (Me included) didn't care for her attitude. You can bet that they have someone there checking in on us from time to time. Thanks for the encouraging post, I hope she realizes that she is there for OUR Customer Service, not HERS.

I stated before that if I got her on the other end of the line that I was going to ask for another Customer Service Representative, I just may give her another chance now. Thanks.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 06:04:35 AM »
She has been very polite, courteous and knowledgeable when I have spoken with her and lately she is the "go to" person for information or availibility info. She seems to be in control of the parts storeroom or somehow knows just what they have in stock to sell at any given moment....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 07:03:24 AM »
I have always got good responses from Jennifer...and for the record...everyone is intitaled to have a bad day...if you had to handle the amount of phone calls she has to deal with the amount of really ticked off customers...who are cursing and yelling...then you might seem a little insinsitive as well...it happens...that's why I have always told anyone who has to call a C/S department...that you will get a-lot better treatment if you are pleasent and friendly...than if you are yelling and cursing...it takes a-lot of self control when your mad about getting a problem fixed...I know...been there...done that...but it really does work...as to those who would say " Well...it's their job.."...try handling the phones at a large companies Customers Service center 1 time...and see how pleasent and friendly you are at the end of the day... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline turkeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:11:50 AM »
I will agree that Jennifer has definately been great as of late.  She has been very informative and knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.  So, I guess if H&R does ever look at these posts, which they should, hats off to the customer service and a big Bravo Zulu to Jennifer!
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 07:53:39 PM »
Mac,

I take it that your post was directed to me, so I feel I must reply. I started calling the CS line in early January after the Christmas Holidays, four days the first week. I was calling from 3:30 to 4:15 PM EST since that was when I got home from work. The recording stated that they were open until 4:30 PM EST, but as I stated earlier that I was calling up to an hour before that. The fourth day someone finally answered the phone and she didn't even want to take my order. All I wanted was a 2005 catalog that others said was out and a retail price list for the accessories catalog. Well to be quite frank, I was lied to by this woman, stating that they did not have any 2005 Catalogs yet and she did not know when they would be in and then she was going to hang up on me. I then asked if I could be put on a list to be mailed the catalog when it came in, she reluctantly took my name and address and was far from polite in doing so.

Ten days go by and I keep hearing about the guys that have gotten a 2005 Catalog. So I call back to CS only took two days this week (first day the same recording a full hour before CS said they close on their recording) and guess who I get? I ask if they have the 2005 Catalog in yet? Yes, we have had them in for a couple of weeks and they have been sending out the requests the next day. I tell her that I had ordered mine a week and a half ago and had not received it and asked if she could put me back on the list because I had not received one yet. She then asked who took your information down and I reminded her that she was the one. I then asked her if she would take my information down again since I must have been missed. She then took my information, a week went by and no catalog. After about ten days one did arrive, but by that time a local gun shop had received them and I already had one.

I am glad that most here have been very happy with their CS experience, I just tell it like it is and my experiences in January 2005 and one last year were not. I was going to order a NEW Topper Deluxe Classic 20ga, 26" SS Sidekick and the new Ultra Varmint Fluted in .204 Ruger but after those experiences (you had to be there) I am having second thoughts. I also wanted to check out the new guns for 2005. I still want the guns, but after my experiences last month, I am not sure they deserve my business. I agree that everyone is entitled to a bad day, but what are the odds that it had to be the days I called in my last three dealings with CS.

It is very encouraging to hear all of your experiences of late were good ones, but as a few here have stated that was not always the case. I hope to have a good experience the next time I call CS and will surely post my experience when and if that happens.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 08:11:25 PM »
Busta'Yote:

I really wasn't directing at anyone individual...not to you personally...if I were I would have said so...and I'm sorry if you took it that way...

Now...this I will say to you...if you are basing your deceisions of not buying because of 2  minor incidents..1 that happens to be at  NEF's start up after a shutdown...you really need to reconsider...by what you have stated...getting thru to them was bad enough...that their phone lines were jammed...granted...it would have been really nice for you to have received your catalog earlier...but you did recieve it...do you have any idea how many phone calls were handled during this time??? or how many staff were fielding calls...probably not...I'm not saying their perfect there...because they aren't ...but please...try to think things thru a-little...and put yourself in her shoes...They really don't have a staff on hand  like Remingtons to handle all of our calls...and when dealing with situations like this...the old saying fits...." Patience is a virtue "

Mac

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 01:06:01 AM »
They're also selling you a $89.00 shotgun or a $200.00 rifle. Both of which actually function and last a while. That goes a long way in my book. I've had the same feeling that Busta has. I've been giving them an order and been very rushed an as soon as she got my credit card # she hung up. Did'nt even give me a chance to order a couple other things I wanted. I just chalked it up to my wife calling her and telling her to only let me order one thing.I hate being on the phone with customers. I deal with a lot of highend weddings and corporate events and by the the time they get me on the phone it's either a problem (real or often imagined) or a complicated question. I I've been dealing with this for 10years now and have never had a customer complain that I was rude on the phone. The last time I talked to her she was hurried but efficient and sent me a needed screw free of charge in a couple days.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 02:14:05 AM »
How about this thought guys, they have Jennifer, John and Gordon the CS manager, thats 3 that I am aware of and the only 3 I have ever spoken to when I have called. They are handling all calls from everywhere in the Country and the rest of the world as well!!! Think they may get busy at times? And I am sure the calls never stop, one after another after another, all day long, think about it  :( .
I for one am VERY happy for what I get for my dollar. As far as my expierences with CS go, someone said in an above post, anyone can have an off day. Has anyone out there had to deal with the public on a regular basis? Especially in a position where most may be calling for unhappy problems with their product or services? Let me tell you from experience guys, we the public can be real jerks at times also!!!....<><.... :roll:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 06:33:30 AM »
The bottom line here guys is that I was lied to about the 2005 catalog I wanted, so I could order three of their guns. I don't like being lied to! Do you?

Sorry Cookieman for ruining you thread, just thought others might want to know the truth of other experiences. I guess not. Don't get me wrong, I love all 6 of my H&R/NEF guns and was looking to add three more, but Customer Service is nearly everything to me in a Company. For the record, Remington is MUCH worse. Mossberg has been the best I have ever dealt with and should be commended for it.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline stew

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 02:19:56 PM »
I do not want to get into a pi$$ing contest with anyone but with that said; and just in case H&R/NEF does read this post I will add that when a product is purchased, the cost of customer service is built into the price of that product.

When I do call the C/S dept. I do not expect to be rushed, cut short, or hung up on prematurely.
What I do expect is that my questions are answered fully and that what I am told is the truth.  Is that too much to expect?

The last thing I would like to hear from the rep. is (Is there anything else I can help you with?----Thank you for your purchase).  Is that too much to ask?

After all, who is paying for the service and the call any way?  We are thats who.
stew

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 04:14:13 PM »
Maybe it's porportionate to the cost of the product. I'm sure if you buy a custom made Kreighoff or a Purdy they probably send your wife a present on her birthday in case you forgot and baysit so you can hunt.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline stew

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 05:39:52 PM »
Thats what I am saying, its PORportionate and it should be PROportionate.

Baby-sittin the kids to go huntin sounds good but I rather CUSTOM SERVICE the wife myself. :)
stew

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 08:34:14 PM »
Mac,

For the record, the recording that I was getting up to a full hour before they were supposed to be closed was something like "Our normal business hours are ? AM to 4:30 PM EST Monday through Friday, we are closed for the day, please call back during our regular scheduled hours" or something close to that. It was there regularly scheduled hours. Sorry, I should know that recording by heart by now, but I don't. :oops:

It was NOT a "all of our customer service representatives are currently busy waiting on other customers, your call is IMPORTANT to us, please stay on the line and we will answer your call in the order it was received" type call if that is what you are referring to.

All my calls were placed as I stated earlier between the hours of 3:30 and 4:15 PM EST, when they were supposed to be open. I did not call between 4:15 and 4:30 PM even though I could have, because I wanted to be courteous to them at the end of their business day and not hold them over.

There is more if you want to know, like the time I ordered a scope rail and hammer extension. Well, the scope rail arrived but no hammer extension. Another call was placed using my dime mind you. I let them know that I received the scope rail but the hammer extension was not included that I paid for. A few days later after talking to guess who, I received a package in the mail from H&R/NEF. Cool, my hammer extension is here. NOT! In the package was two sling swivel studs. :roll:  So I have to call back again using my dime again and tell, yes, you guessed who, that they sent the wrong item. Eventually, I did receive the hammer extension. Want to hear more? Stay tuned for more "Misadventures of H&R/NEF Customer Service" coming to a forum near you.

Patience may be a "virtue", but "the truth and good Customer Service is everything".

No sugar-coating necessary!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 01:37:10 AM »
The few times I called CS, they behaved as if I was an inconvenience, they were short and slightly rude, and could not wait to get me off the phone.
I have always felt that they did not need me, so no need to be nice. It's been like calling a government office. I hope it changes.
If there are a good few, the others need to be indoctrinated to be cordial and helpful. Phone calls mean people are interested in the product, no phone calls could be worse!!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 02:53:56 AM »
I was a CS rep for a couple of years for a graphic arts accessory manufacturer in Connecticut.   My duties involved fielding product inquiries, handling complaints and following up on sales leads collected from trade magazines and trade shows from around the country and Canada.  One thing I learned pretty fast was that there is a big cultural difference between the North East and everywhere else.  Folks in the North East were almost always no nonsense, get right down to business, no time for chit chat, what you might call abrupt.  When talking with people outside of the North East I had to learn to slow it down, chit chat a little, Hows the weather? Done any fishing? that sort of thing to set them at ease before discussing business. So it is possible that some of what you are seeing is simply a cultural difference in communication styles.  Also, I can tell you from experience that the job sucks. I would get call after call from people that seemed to hold me personally responsible for their troubles when about 1/3 of the time it was them not using the product correctly.  After 8 hours of that I would not want to leave the house or have to speak to anyone including my wife.  I was never so happy to leave a job in my life.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »
Not a Witch Hunt, just a little more info for the sympathizers of poor CS. Looks like I'm not the ONLY one that feels this way. That's to bad.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=51750&highlight=

They might have go the message here, but then again maybe not.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54897

Now I don't know about you guys but I have referred LOTS of people to the H&R/NEF line of guns and sing high praises about them. BUT, do you think that anyone should be treated like the way some are? I sure don't. I love these guns, but a Company is only as good as it's Customer Service, and in my experience the last year it was POOR at best.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 07:18:05 AM »
Like I said....they aren't perfect by any means...and I am truely sorry a few have had some problems dealing with getting repairs or parts..but I will say this...I know for a fact that being a CS rep sucks...I've done it before...and what was said about various cutural differences...that also is true...is this any excuese for a bad experiance...nope...it's not to the person who's having fits getting the right part... BUT ...until you realize that the person feilding your complaints...is not the person filling your order...you cannot hold 1 individual responsible for a misplaced catalog  order...or a wrong part sent...is she abrut at times...yes she is...but knowing a-little about what she is dealing with...makes a big difference in how I rect when I call there...

If you want better service...get in line on the phone early in the morning...not late in the day...and yes...an hour before they close is late for a CS department...I've dealt with buisnesses that have been taken over by another company before...those folks in CS are left holding the bag guys...they have to work under a whole different set of rules...their IS department has to as well...orders do get misplaced and filled wrong...and that only adds to everyones frustration level...been there...done that...

3 people feilding calls for a company as large as NEF...anyone wonder "why"...that should tell you where Marlin is taking them...since they run under their control now...I'm sure if they actually had the time to inquire about your health or wanted to shoot the breeze with you they would...but I sincerly doubt that is ever going to happen...

For all their troubles...the NEF's are still a good value...and if they ever revamp the CS department like Remmington has...then that will be a blessing...

Mac

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
LAST POST ON THIS SUBJECT !
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 11:50:10 AM »
LET'S PUT THIS POST OUT OF IT'S MISERY !  I HAVE HAD ENOUGH !

Some have had good experiences, some have had bad experiences, some have had both.  DOES THAT PRETTY MUCH COVER IT ?

If you want to keep buyin' Handis and Pardners thats a good thing.
If you don't want to, then that's OK too.

Had I known that all this crap would have come from my compliment,  I would have just sent a letter.

HOW 'BOUT IT GUYS, SHAKE HANDS AND WALK AWAY!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 12:09:14 PM »
my experience is that CS is good and QC is fair. i had to send at least 4 new handi's back for clean up, misfires, etc..  but, they really did do a great job turning the guns around.

NEF may have 3 people working in CS, but we should thanks our lucky stars they are not in india and that they speak english. how many times have you called CS for Dell, or your bank and get to have a nice incoherent chat with Raffi or Mohammed who took english as a 3 day elective in the first year of grammer school 26 years ago ???

a couple of times i got conflicting status reports on my stuff there for repairs, and once they told me to send the gun overnight for saturday delivery when the factory is in fact closed on saturday.

regardless of my experience with CS, i will continue to buy and shoot handi's !!!!

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!