Author Topic: Question for ccw permit for NY?  (Read 527 times)

Offline slik1

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for ccw permit for NY?
« on: March 27, 2005, 04:06:27 AM »
Gentlemen:  I have a nys pisto Permit for hunting and target only. How would a guy get it changed for full carry?  I have had the permit for a number of yrs and use it for handgun hunting and load development for handgun hunting. Is there any suggestions or tips that I could use to ease the process for me? Any imput would be greatly appreciated. slik1 :D
slik1

Offline Medbill

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 04:53:37 PM »
Check out www.packing.org for more info.  

Good luck,

Billy

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 02:07:13 AM »
slik1 - changing the status of one's carry permit is up to the local issuing judge in your county.  And you would have to provide, most likely, an adequate description of the 'why and wherefore' of needing the change.

As I recall the laws, there are only two types of permits authorized by law in NYS.  One is the Premises Permit, which allows you to have the handgun only in/on your premises.  The other is the Carry Permit - but here, some local judges feel they can use their discretion and will decide to issue to permit for hunting and target only or concealed carry.  They really do not have the discretion to do that but they may feel somewhat meglomanic here because nobody can challenge them (or so they think).  We once had a judge in my county would would not allow any more than 4 handguns, no matter what.  But, when we told him we had gathered together $5K and a greasy lawyer to haul his butt into state court over the matter, he relented.

Also, for some judges this is a means to screen out certain types of applicants.  One of my female friends applied for a permit at my urging.  Her job and hours kept her out late and often in bad areas.  She was the perfect applicant, with a perfect background and applied for a permit for a Beretta 21A.  She was issued a Hunting and Target permit, by the judge who also owns the same gun.  The Sheriff informed her that there was no difference in the authority behind the two types of 'carry permits' and that she could carry whenever she wanted to but that she had to carry it concealed from public view so as not to cause fear and unrest.  He also said that some permit holders always carry a range bag in the trunk of their car as it seems they are always either going to or coming from the range.  That being said, as I understand from my  attorney (a former DA) there hasn't ever been a case of someone losing their pemit for defending themselves with a Hunting and Target Permit handgun they happened to be carrying concealed while out and about.  

However, some judges are about as immutable on the issue as can be and prefer to let other judges argue it out in trial court.  Go figure. HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Bagpiper

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 10:13:01 AM »
On Long Island where I live there is 7 types of permits:
This is directly off the back of my current license

1)Premise Dwelling
2)Premise Business
3)Bank or Express Messenger
4)Justice of Supreme Court 1st or 2nd Judical Dept, or Judge of NYC Criminal Court
5)Employee of Corrections
6)Proper Cause *see below
7)Antique Pistols

* There are also 6 Proper Causes for Issuance
1)Sportsman-Target and Hunting-May only be transported directly to and from an authorized range or while actually afield hunting in a legal hunting area in NYS
2)Business-Firearm may only be carried while actually engaged in conducting the business for which license was issued or travelling to and from said business
3)Security-Firearm may only be carried while working assigned duties in security for a State licensed agency or a municipality and to and from
4)Auxiliary Police-Firearm may only be carried while working assigned duties as an auxililary police officer with licensee's auxililary police unit or to and from
5)Qualified Retired LEO-Carry unrestricted
6)Carry-Unrestricted carry, not valid outside NYS or within NYC limits.

As for your area this may be entirely different. That being said the pistol license department have made it known that as long as you do not wind up in a bar you can pretty much carry all the time here. Very few Carry permits are issued in my area, most are Sportsman types.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:33:01 AM »
bagpiper - you're right.  Unfortunately, the metropolitan area considers itself its own nation-state and literally rewrites all the rules that apply elsewhere in NYS.  

The category you listed of carry Unrestricted being limited to NYS only is now governed by reciprocity laws in other states (37 of them I believe)where you can carry concealed with your NYS permit.  

As for the NYC permits - nobody upstate really cares as long as you are licensed to carry, unless you are packin' openly in a bar during hunting season and then your schmidt gets weak in a hurry.  It seems that a lot of NYC (and downstate) LEOs, and the like, like to pack up when they come upstate to hunt and kinda fergit what the rules are about being in bars with handguns or being less than discreet when carrying in public.  They get reminded of the 'social courtesies' at play and most are pretty good about it (they cover it back up and sit and be quiet), especially when they find out they are about the only LEOs in the place and EVERYBODY ELSE is packin' something larger (lol).  HTH.  Mikey.