Author Topic: Shotgun fit  (Read 398 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Shotgun fit
« on: February 20, 2005, 10:07:55 AM »
I have a favorite shotgun that is a Remington 870. The only reason it's a favorite is because I can hit with it. I've tried to use an H&R but can not seem to hit with it. I notice when I shoulder the 870 I can see none of the barrel except right at the bead. The H&R on the other hand allows me to see about 90% of the barrel. Would it be safe to say that the H&R doesn't fit me right and that's why I can't hit with it? My son has never missed with the H&R. I'm thinking that  if I had more drop for the H&R or a lower comb I could make it work.

Thanks,
                   Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Shotgun fit
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 04:15:12 PM »
where is your point of impact as it relates to your point of aim?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Shotgun fit
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 07:34:51 PM »
It's ben so long since I shot one now that I'm not real sure. Best I can remember I was shooting low.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Shotgun fit
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 09:44:50 PM »
Dear Rusty:
 A chunk of styrofoam, roughly cut and taped to the butt stock, can be helpful to get an idea of your length of pull. Same goes for taping something lke cardboard to the comb for a trial fit. Quick, cheap, and gives a good measurement to work from. We've all seen expensive guns on the range with...stuff...taped on the stock. Works fine till you get around to making things more more permanent.    Woodbutcher