Author Topic: next years bunny gun  (Read 653 times)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
next years bunny gun
« on: February 26, 2005, 05:13:07 AM »
well bunny season is over come tuesday (i got one hunt left) and i'll tell you what i have got so hooked on rabbit hunting behind dogs. until this year i had never hunted behind a dog and man i'll tell you what i'm getting one before next year . but i'm also thinking about getting myself a gun just for hunting rabbits now most of the time i don't get two up at one time so a single shot will work just fine so i think i'm getting a TDC in 20ga.  http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=13 for next year nd if mom and dad will give me a hunk on the yard i'm going to get one or two dogs. i hope next year is as good as this one . this year me and my partner (aka Boss  :shock: ) took together 28 bunnies he has 13 and i've got 15  so this last hunt monday might just deiced this years winner.  even if i loose its been a great year. so how did the rest of you guys do on the cotton butts this year this year???
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
next years bunny gun
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 05:50:14 AM »
Mitchell,

Congratulations on a good year. Now about this BOSS thing. You know if you want that raise this year your going to have to let him win, then ask for the raise while he is still in a good mood. Then again the braggin' rights might be worth more than the raise. :grin:  I take it he has the dogs?

Decisions, decisions.

Good luck!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
next years bunny gun
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 06:19:01 AM »
good shooting mitchell !

bunnies taste good too !

that topper classic is a slick looking scattergun, it'll make a nice addition to your collection for next years hunts. the 20 gauge will work nice for you.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
next years bunny gun
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 07:33:08 AM »
Thats Great shooting Mitchell and I'm proud of you!!! Between you and ScatterGunner we have the makings of an Championship shotgunning team!!!
I'd put you 2 guys up against anyone!!!! Great choice on the TDC in 20 gauge also, it's going to be quite a gun, but don't sell the 12 gauge with light loads short for bunnies. Since the 12 and 20 are made on the same reciever the weight difference between the guns should be minimal. After you get that TDC in 20 you might just try a 24" 12 gauge barrel on it, who knows it might balance just fine!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
next years bunny gun
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 08:57:39 AM »
That 20ga TDC will be a fine rabbit gun. I used an old topper deluxe 20ga model 198 exclusively for rabbit and squirrel gun from 74-88. That's when my 2nd wife pawned it with out my knowledge. I liked that gun so much that I looked for a replacement until I finaly found another this last summer. I'd still llike to get a 20ga TDC though. I haven't hunted over beagles in a long time. I used to love it. Just remember that if the beagle is going to be pet as well they stink, bark, chew and are runners by nature. Other than that they make great little buddies.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mitchell

next years bunny gun
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
but don't sell the 12 gauge with light loads short for bunnies.

well i'm not selling it short i just don't see the need for a 12 ga . my three guns i used this year were : 12ga mossberg , 20 pardner, and a 1100 28ga (owned by my partner). and i'll tell you what that little 28ga can kill some bunnies. i think if it was loaded hotter it would be the best rabbit gun there is but i think my 20ga pardner is in the running but if it had a full chock it have to be top dog, it had the longest kill this year with a shot of about 45-50 yards still a clean kill (lucky me). i think that TDC will make a good gun with the vent rib i can put a double bead on it i think i'll be the envy of all.

while i'm thinking of it i'll tell ya a story. it was the last weekend of pheasant season we where deer creek wildlife area and was hunting bunnies (no dogs this time) ray had a 1100 20ga and i had my pardner 20ga . well we had hunted all day and it was about noon so we were headed back to the truck . well another truck pulled up and got out they had two german short haired pointer (beautiful dogs) and started going after pheasants. well the 4 of us started talking they were new to the place so we told them where some great pheasant hunting is so they invited us to go with them , so we did.  one of them had a 11-87 the other had a browning O/U. (you know whats going to happen) well ray had his limit in bunnies so we switched guns because bunnies was really what i was there for . so where all 4 walking in kind of a straight line when the guy all the way on the left jumps a pheasant well he unloads his 11-18 the other guy fires both out for his O/U and ray shoots one shot for my NEF pardner and drops the bird . it was pricless $2000 of guns beat by a $87 shotgun. the only bad part was it wasn't me doing the shooting. well just thought i had to share.

Offline mitchell

next years bunny gun
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:16:37 AM »
Quote from: Markus
That's when my 2nd wife pawned it with out my knowledge. I liked that gun so much that I looked for a replacement until I finaly found another this last summer.

umm just kind of wondering did you get a new wife last year or did you get a new gun???

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
next years bunny gun
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 10:56:03 AM »
Mitchell, don't you just love it when these little guns beat the pants off the expensive ones!!!....<><.... :grin:

And regarding the post above this one,  :-D  :-D. If I know anything
about Markus, he kept his wife and got a new gun!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
next years bunny gun
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 04:21:30 PM »
wife #2 was on the way out when she pawned the gun. Wife #3 is a keeper. She's let me buy 3 H&Rs in the last year and has bought me several guns as gifts. She doesn't understand it , but she let's me play with guns  'cause she knows it makes me happy.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline stew

• Trade Count: (0)
next years bunny gun
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 08:01:47 PM »
Mitchell, I'm feeling a little envious :wink:

A new gun, new dog, and not only do you get along with your BOSS, he is your hunting partner :-)  

There is nothing like hunting rabbits (with a good dog).  It is also enjoyable runnin them in the off season.

The TDC sure is a good looking shotgun.  I think it would be ideal when walking on snowshoes, hunting snowshoe hare, here in the swamps of Pocono PA.  I'm hoping next year the 28ga. will be available but I think the 16 ga. would be next in line.

Glad to hear you had such an enjoyable and productive year.
stew

Offline Markus

• Moderators
next years bunny gun
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 01:34:01 AM »
Oh man I hope the 16ga would be next in line. I can picture then special rack I would build for all the different TDCs. I have an active imagination since I dont even have one yet.