Author Topic: Does your Handi shoot better clean-or-dirty?  (Read 514 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Does your Handi shoot better clean-or-dirty?
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:59:46 PM »
....cause mine won't shoot under an inch sparklin. My Ultra has to have at least 8-10 shots from a clean barrel to start shooting MOA.
Is this common?-I know my brothers 223 is the same way.
How about yours?

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Does your Handi shoot better clean-or-dirty
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 03:03:32 PM »
Just like a woman, better when she's dirty (talkin').......

Offline myarmor

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »
8)  Hummm..... :twisted:

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 03:37:13 PM »
Well my .223 shoots 1inch clean and less than one inch dirty.

norse

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:50:22 AM »
mine shoots the best after a few shots too

Offline myarmor

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:09:54 AM »
The reason I ask is because yesterday I went to my range to get in some groups with my Ultra 223. I cleaned the barrel excellent-removing all copper and nasties(I hope anyway), with barrel soak it took about 30 min. I have had about 400-500 rds through it sence I have owned it. This was the first real time I wanted to get it squeky clean, removing any copper and fouling. I used Remington 55gr FMJ UMC, as my rifle likes these fairly well.
(I didn't have any WWB 45 JHP on hand-today is day 2 though and I plan on using these today)
First 2 groups were terribile, almost 5 inches high(1st ) and 3 3/4(2nd)-I am sighted in for 2-2 1/2. It was on my last group-after 8 shots-that I got subMOA with 3/4 inch.
Only rifle I own ( so far ) that loves a fouled barrel.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 05:59:45 AM »
I suggest you get some Flitz polish...and a oversized bore mop...coat the bore mop completely...and work it back and forth..up to the muzzle about 25-30 times...reapplying the flitz 3 times for the 30 complete passes...staying out of the chamber...and being carfefull at the muzzle...flush it out good removing all the flitz with shooters choice or equivalent...patch it dry..and a very light coat of Rem-oil...and then patch dry...shoot 2 fouling shots and then shoot 5 for group...see how it responds...if it's still throwing flyers...check the crown for any small nicks or burrs...if none...take the forearm off of it...and try shooting without it over the hinge pin...see if that helps...if it does...then open up the forearm channel completely...leaving about 1/16-1/32" gap on all sides...and get a larger o-ring for the barrel hanger stud...

2 fouling shots are all I need to get rid of any oil in all of my barrels...all of my barrels are hand lapped in this manner...and all of the shot MOA or better...I got real lucky with my new 30-06 Ultra-Comp barrel...and a factory load...but a-lot of it has to do with a perfectly smooth bore as well and a good crown...I spend about 2-3 hours prepping them before I shoot them...it's a pain...but well worth it..

Lastly...double check your scope and mounts...I'm sure you have...but it never hurts to be sure ...your just eliminating another possibility here...if your shooting it in and it does better clean...then most likely the illregularities in the bore is most likely the culprit for your accuracy problems...they are getting covered up by the fouling.hence..it shoots better fouled....it's great to get it squeaky clean...but it has to be both squeaky clean...and free of snags and burrs as well...otherwise you have to keep it dirty to shoot...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 07:50:04 AM »
Do you mean Flitz paste metal polish and Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner?
I am going to have to order of the net for it so I need to know exactly the right stuff to use.
I checked my mounts between every shot-solid as a rock there.
I never did polish my barrel when I first got it.
Thanks again Mac.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »
Yep...That's what I use...I also use Gunslick foaming bore clearner as well...and Barnes CR-10...it takes me a long time to prep mine...but I know for a positive fact they are completely clean ...usually in this order...

1st..Gunslick..foaming bore cleaner...following all directions to the letter...and flushing everything out with Shooters Choice...and Rem-oil..patching dry...between each different applications...

2nd...Barnes...CR-10...then Rem-oil as described

3rd...Flitz.....then Shooters Choice...then Rem-oil...

Then I run a dry extremly tight fitting patch down the bore feeling for tight spots and checking the patches for any type of snags...if there are some...back to the Flitz...

I use only the Tennax nylon type brushes...no copper or bronze type...and NEVER...steel brushes......and all stainless steel cleaning rods...so they won't bend and flex or deteriate like aluminum...

Sounds like a-lot of  fun ehhh :) but...doing this way.....if I can't get it to group...then I don't have to worry about the bore being included in the cause...and can concentrate on the other things that can effect my accuracy...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline beckerhead

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:34:19 AM »
even with my bore polished with iosso I still need 1 or 2 foulers to get me consistent up to about 20 rds. then crud creates its own problems. I alternate between iosso and butch's to get all the sneaky streakys out.