Author Topic: While I was shopping for a 16ga H&R or NEF.....!  (Read 446 times)

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
While I was shopping for a 16ga H&R or NEF.....!
« on: March 09, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »
I found an H&R Topper 88 in 410 bore, 25" bbl FULL choke.....with all the chatter lately about .410's, it talked me into taking it home..........when I got to the van, lo and behold! a 20ga MOD NEF  :shock:  had followed the .410 and I right out of the store into my van......  :wink:

Like I suddenly have more time to enjoy new gauges.......
But.....you buy them when you find 'em.....

I have found that the older H&R's tend to have a short LOP, and in the case of this 410, I can install a (Browning) pad I have kicking around to lengthen it to be the same as the current NEF's.

[I did find an old H&R  model 58 and an  H&R 158 in 16ga, both 28" FULL, but they are $80 and $90, a little too much for guns that already have recoil pads intalled with LOP STILL too short!]
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
While I was shopping for a 16ga H&R or
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:26:30 PM »
Offhand35, congratulations on a couple of great guns!!! A great thing about those old 88's is you can switch and swap any H&R/NEF stock you have to make them right. Also the barrels were thinner and lighter with a slimmer profile than the current guns. A straight (non monte carlo) synthetic stock with a recoil pad is a great replacement for an old 88 with a beat up short stock, the synthetic forearm is a great fit on the .410 barrel and just a bit snug on the 88 20 gauge barrel. Those guns, especially with the synthetic stock sets, are very light and easy to carry all day and then some....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley