Author Topic: Which BP revolver to buy  (Read 1300 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Which BP revolver to buy
« on: February 25, 2005, 04:26:46 AM »
I am new to BP revolvers (hunt with a BP rifle). I am wondering what to buy to best suit my needs. I have researched (online and conversations with owners) the following: Ruger 44 Old Army, Cabela's Pietta 1858 New Army. I defiintly want an adjustable sight. I plan to use the revolver as a backup when I hunt with my BP rifle for hogs and deer. I hunt where there are plenty of  black bear so I wanna feel somewhat protected (tired of hiding my .357 during black powder only season). Which fo the above (or what else) would serve me best. I will probably average less than 50 or 60 shots a year with the revolver. Thanks.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 06:49:46 AM »
For flat-out power, the Walker is the way to go. But since you need the adjustable sights, I'd suggest the Ruger. I think I'd probably go with stainless steel, too.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:28:09 PM »
SS Ruger.

...but for bear?  Nope..don't think so.   :?

...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Shorty

Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 01:59:18 PM »
Ronbow,
Adjustable sights and power limit you to only the Ruger. You might reconsider the sights.  A Walker would be at least as powerful, and could be sighted in, and would be much more COOL!  :wink:  8)

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 02:09:20 PM »
During the Civil War troops were knocking horses out of the battle with the .44 Colt. Gatofeo has posted a thread to that effect on this forum.
I believe that the .44 could be used as a back up weapon to kill or disable a black bear.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 03:17:40 PM »
Think its an easy choice. IF you are going to abandon tradtional BP revovlers...and none of the traditonal ones being reproduced had adjustable sights...then abandon tradtion all together and go with the Ruger.

Not knowing the Ruger...it is undoubtably the best combiantion of strength and accuracy out there.  

The other thought is that once you are down to using your back-up revolver, that bear is proably going to be pretty close, and adjustable sights really don't have any advantage over well adjusted fixed sights (after all, "on" at 25 yards is "on" no matter how you get there).

Really have one russ about the Walker...that spring held loading lever.  A lot of them seem to drop that lever when fired with a heavy load...and the dropped lever often ties up the rotation of the cylinder.  Can have that worked on and it seems to keep it from happening as often, but it doesn't seem to cure it.

If I wanted tradtional, would proably go with a 2nd or 3rd. model Dragoon. Less powder than the Walker, but still a very respectable amount, and a lever that stays put.

Offline curator

go with the Ruger!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 03:41:38 PM »
Ronbow;

There is no real comparison between the reproduction cap and ball revolvers and the Ruger Old Army. The ROA is the ONLY one of them made correctly. The right chamber diameter/ rifling twist, and cylinder lockup/strength. All the others are in the "also ran" catagory. It takes a couple of hundred dollars of custom gunsmithing to make any of the Italian repro-revolvers even come close to the Ruger in accuracy, and power. The only cap and ball revolver that comes close in the German Hege-58-Remington, and that will set you back about $1000US.

Offline Ramrod

Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »
If you are going to use a cap and ball gun on a bear, I would suggest only firing 5 rounds at him. Save the last one for yourself. You will probably need it. :)
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 05:33:26 PM »
If the sole purpose of the revolver is for backing up a B.P. rifle, then the
adjustable sights aren't necessary and power is the most important thing. In the world of C&B revolvers, there is nothing like a Walker. Even the Dragoons are well down on punch by comparison. And the Ruger even more so. I have three Walkers- one Uberti and two second generation Colts- and none of them drops its lever under recoil. If I had to face a wounded and no doubt somewhat irritated bear, and my revolver was of C&B persuasion, I would choose a Walker over any other type. The Ruger may be based off a modern design, but its lack of powder capacity would not make it number one on my list in this instance.
  If you plan on target shooting or killing the occasional tin can or coyote, then I think the Ruger is a splendid choice. It is a quality piece and as long as you don't care about tradition, it will serve well.  I've always taken it on faith take all my revolvers had the right chamber diameter and rifling twist as the ball hits what I aim at more often than not. After 25 years of 55 to 60 grain charges, my Walkers are still locking up just fine despite not being made correctly and not having any expensive custom gunsmithing done to them. Oh well.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline jgalar

Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 05:45:26 PM »
You may want to check your game laws. Many states do not classify a blackpowder revolver as a muzzleloader. You may be just as illegal as with your .357

Offline Chris

• Contributor
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 12:09:17 PM »
:-)  :grin:  :)  :-D ...your killin' me Ramrod!

...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Shorty

Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 01:26:21 PM »
jgalar has a good point.  In Va. one cannot hunt anything with a blackpowder revolver.  I guess that it's not considered  powerful enough to compare with the .22 LR RF!  :roll:

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 01:48:39 PM »
If you can't legally carry a revolver, consider a large-caliber pistol. Lyman's .54 caliber caplock pistol comes to mind, particularly if you can locate some of the wad cutter bullets that were available at one time for the .54 caliber percussion Sharps. I played with that combination for a while, using a precut patch as sort of a gas check. I don't what the muzzle energy on it was, but it could be loaded up to where it hurt your hand to shoot it.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
revolver
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 08:37:29 AM »
The Walker is a horse pistol.  You might get tired of toting it.  For the best comprimise in power and totability I'g go with the Ruger.  I'd also go with the Ruger for reliability.  As far as sights go, you want them for small game, plinking, etc., but they are irrelevant for stopping a bear.  You will be shooting from fairly close, as in you both you and the bear will come away with powder burns.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »
Now, it is perfectly true that the Walker is heavier than the Ruger. But it is  only about one pound nine ounces heavier. I've carried my Walker all day long with no difficulty. If I were going to be hunting an animal that is capable of hunting me, and that will definitely come at me if I don't drop it with my long gun, I would want the Walker's punch available and I doubt I would begrudge the extra weight. I do acknowledge the modern train of thought that lighter is better, but I don't necessarily agree with it.
Especially if my life is on the line. And if the hand gun is expected to stop a large and angry bear at a range where said bruin and I will both suffer powder burns, I will take the Walker's 500+ ft.lbs. of energy over the Ruger's 350 ft. lbs. any day. I have no doubt that the Ruger is reliable.
However, in over forty years, I have yet to have any black powder revolver fail me, and given the robustness of the Walker's parts, I think it very unlikely that it will fail in the circumstances being discussed. Still, to each his own, as my old Grannie often said.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
bears
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 02:05:44 AM »
I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than the Ruger as bear protection and I wouldn't begrudge anybody who wants to pack the size and weight of the Walker although I'd advise them to try and borrow one and tote it for a day before deciding.

The reality is that any pistol is too small in the above situation, you're only using it because there's a practical limit to how big a cannon you can carry.

As for reliability, the only thing I have to say  against the Walker as opposed to any other cap & ball revolver is that it is sometimes subject to the limp lever syndrome which can tie it up.  All I can say, is if you have one, keep your lever spring tuned up.

I have had misfires with my Ruger, fooled around with various nipples and caps, none of which really cured it.  Finally cured it by replacing the main spring.  I bought it used and suspect somebody was tinkering with it.

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
Which BP revolver to buy
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 03:51:44 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna go with the ruger. Ramrod, if I don't kill the bear with 6 shots I'll just finish the critter with my tommahawk. Seriously, I don't hunt bears at all and have no illusions about a BP revolver as a defense. I have always been able to leave 'em or make 'em go away with noise (like banging my bow on my treestand).  Again thanks.