Author Topic: 250gr keith accuracy  (Read 1922 times)

Offline bb44

• Trade Count: (0)
250gr keith accuracy
« on: November 17, 2004, 04:43:21 PM »
i have recently run across a guy,who is now a very good friend of mine. he let me shoot some 250gr keith bullets(from leadhead bullets)over 20.0gr of #2400. have any of you used this load on southern deer? i'm shooting it out of a 10.5in super blackhawk and was just curious how it should perform,considering that i do my part............thanks

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:53:28 PM »
Do you mean how accurate should it be or how dead the deer hit with it will be? As for accuracy, IF the bullets fit the throats, and that is a BIG IF since most SBH throats run .433+, you should see groups of maybe 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards and a beer can at 50 should be a sure thing. 2400 isn't my choice for full house 44 loads, but it sure does work and can usually give good accuracy. As for terminal effect, they'll blow through both sides of a deer and leave a big hole. A long range hole punch, and a very dead deer.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 02:42:14 AM »
I get very good accuracy from them in 45 colt and they kill the snot out of any deer you hit them with :grin:

Offline bb44

250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 06:52:06 AM »
well then let me ask. do you try for a shoulder shot or behind the shoulder? i figured i would try especially for a shoulder hit..and also why do some guys not like the 2400 for full house loads? actually the max for this load is 21.5gr (i think) and it really doesnt spike like some h110 loads ive shot.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 05:04:38 AM »
Where I aim depends on how the deer presents itself for a shot really.
Straight on full broadside I go for the heart / lung area. Angling toward me I go for the shoulder and on an angling away a shot will hopefully wreck the offside shoulder on the pass thru and you catch a little of everything. any time I can take out a shoulder and pretty much be assured to get some heart / lung too, I like it. Puts em down quicker.
As to why people don't like 2400.... you will get a whole host of reasons from doesn't burn clean enough to cant get good accuracy with it.
Some people only shoot full house hunting loads so using a powder like H110 can give higher velocity with less pressure and don't really care about versatility.
I like it myself....  Because of its versatility

Offline Steve 48

250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 04:55:54 AM »
I have used Leadheads bullets and the 250 Keith's for a long time. The 20 grs of 2400 is a good load as well as 9.0grs of Unique, 23 grs of W296 or 23 grs od H110. They all shoot very good and I have no lead build up. Steve 48

Offline LAH

• Contributor
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 07:31:53 AM »
Quote from: Steve 48
I have used Leadheads bullets and the 250 Keith's for a long time. The 20 grs of 2400 is a good load as well as 9.0grs of Unique, 23 grs of W296 or 23 grs od H110. They all shoot very good and I have no lead build up. Steve 48

I will agree with Steve. I've shot the exact 2400 and H-110 loads. Of all the 44 Mags through our shop, I've yet to see one that wouldn't put these loads under 3" @ 50 yards. The bullet I used was the L-429421.

I've taken deer with Keith bullets and I like to break one or both shoulders. As for velocity I like 1200 fps., one needs no more.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 08:42:33 AM »
A good rule is to aim for the shoulder in larger game in rough country (elk in the mountains, for example) to anchor the critter.  But for deer, right behind the shoulder, 2/3s of the way down is fine -- IF he presents broadside.

For a quartering-away shot, aim to shoot THROUGH the body and hit the far-side shoulder.  Quartering toward, try to break the near-side shoulder.

Offline mikemayberry

• Contributor
    • http://www.trosperarchery.org
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 10:45:40 AM »
I am relatively new to reloading and have ordered some of the 250 grain Leadhead Keith bullets.  

I will be shooting these out of a single shot Encore with a 12 inch barrel and plan to use Alliant 2400 with a large pistol primer.

Anybody have advice on where to start the load and what is the maximum?

Thoughts in advance what to expect in accuracy or any other issues?

Thanks,

Mike

Revised--bullets from Leadhead have arrived (2 working days from the day I ordered!) and they look really good.  Can't wait to load some up and see what they will do.
In the absence of factual information, the voids will be filled with the worst possible scenario!

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 02:55:01 PM »
Maximum load will be in any reloading manual and it will vary from manual to manual.  I like Lyman's book but have all the others also and use them with equal frequency.  For me, Lyman is always my "go to" book.  15% below max is always a good place to start.  Some authorities say 10% and in modern firearms I'm confident that's adequate.  Having said that, with ball powders don't go too low.  Perhaps not so much in handguns but with magnum rifle cases it can be a recipe for disaster.

As far as what to expect for accuracy you really won't know until you load some and shoot them.  Every firearm is different.  My suspiscion is that your firearm will shoot at least 3" groups and probably quite a bit better.  No one can say with much authority.  I, as well as probably everyone else on this board, have had firearms that threw rounds all over the place with one load and became a tack driver with another.  That's part of the fun and education of reloading!  Good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine.....

Vic
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline while99

• Contributor
250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 08:09:30 PM »
Elmer Keith also wrote about a 235 grain hollow point version of this bullet.  Have any of you ever used it?  Are molds still available?  I have the RCBS mold for a 250 grain Keith-type bullet and I like it very much but I've always wanted to try the hollow point.  I would think that it would be dynamite on deer and smaller big game.

Offline Handgunr

250gr keith accuracy
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 03:38:44 AM »
Of the #429421 bullet that LAH was referring to, I've got both the SWC & HP designs.
They both work exceptionally well, and although the HP is a bit lighter, it flies great with 8.5 grs of Unique at about 1000fps in a 7 1/2" SBH.
I recently bought the 250gr RCBS mould, but I haven't had time to play with it just yet. Seems it should shoot about the same as the previous Lyman bullet, based on it's configuration.

I have been using 2400 in my magnum loads for several years, with great results. Shades of Elmer.
A good solid crimp using trimmed, consistent brass keeps the flakes from appearing all over.
I just got some Li'l Gun to play with in the near future, so we'll see how it performs. I've always gravitated to H110 & W296 when it came to JHP's, but I haven't used them in many years & strictly cast has been my thing.

Scoped, I've been getting 3-4" groups consistently at 100yds, with very authoritative "slaps" when they connect with the backer.
The last shot on a deer that was made, was at approx. 125 yds., quartering to me.
The bullet was a Lyman GC 263 gr. "Thompson" HP, over 21.0grs of 2400 at 1430fps. It penetrated in front of the onside shoulder, passing through the neck muscle, turning after hitting the offside shoulder blade, and passed along between the skin layer and rib cage. The bullet struck the last rib, breaking it, and then passed down through the diaphragm, liver, intestines, and came to rest in the right ham.

Kind of reminds me of a pinball game. The bullet dropped the deer on the spot and not a sign of life when I got to her.
For hunting, I like the GCHP's the best at about 12-14BHN.

Hope this helps....

Bob
Deactivated at member's request.