Author Topic: Are the Sidekick,Huntsman and 12ga.TDC the same reciever?  (Read 599 times)

Offline mrlizzzard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Are the Sidekick,Huntsman and 12ga.TDC the same reciever?
« on: February 25, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »
I am asking this because I have a Sidekick,and want to order a TDC and put the TDC barrel on the Sidekick frame and leave the pretty wood of the TDC at home in the closet?
lizzzard

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Are the Sidekick,Huntsman and 12ga.TDC the
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »
You cannot add any barrels to the "Sidekick" reciever. It is made to only accept "Sidekick" ML barrels....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 01:03:20 AM »
Hi MSP,
            That's not the responce I wanted this cold and dreary Ohio morning!While looking at the new catalog the Huntsman.Sidekick and TDC look like the same reciever to me.I thought the reason for the guns to accept barrels is not mechanical but legalThe Sidekick is pure ML making it not a firearm and able to be shipped directly to customer.Guns are not able to  be sent thru the mail.

I want to order a TDC but am waiting till new style arrives,by that I mean the new ones will be chambered,31/2" as opposed to three.That makes it a turkey gun for sure.If I get one,I know I can return it for a Huntsman barrel which is wonderful.But my little beady mind thinks the TDC barrel will fit on the Sidekick frame.Not legally but physically.Thereby letting me keep the nice stock at home in the closet

good hearing from you,
lizzzard

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 02:04:45 AM »
Go :grin: d luck lizzard, I don't think the swap will work or the barrel fit. Ypu are correct in your thinking that the Sidekick was made to be strictly a ML and therefore could be sold as a "non-firearm", but part of that was that regular barrels could not be added to it. I can see your reasoning though, it could have been accomplished by another change to the reciever other than length. I do belive you are out of luck though, but keep us informed. inquiring minds want to know!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 05:35:08 AM »
mrlizzzard,

MSP Ret is right on about the Sidekick!

The other barrels will definitely NOT fit on your Sidekick receiver. The Sidekick receiver is shorter and the barrel lug channel area is much narrower. The only way it could be done is to cut off the old lug and have a new narrower and shorter lug put on by a smith. This may be ILLEGAL and would probably cost more than buying another gun anyway by the time you would be all done paying the smith.

So your short answer is NO! It cannot physically be done without a lot of modification and unknown LEGALITY. The Sidekick is a Sidekick and that is it.

If you have another H&R/NEF (thought you mentioned somewhere that you had a .223 maybe), break them both open side-by-side and the differences will be very obvious both inside and out.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 08:08:31 AM »
Praise the Lord,my wife says,"just order anything you want hon".

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 09:25:07 AM »
Ah lizzard, you are one lucky man!!! When you gt out to buy that new gun I suggest you buy her something too, how about a nice 28 gauge for her?  :-D
Seriously, I think you should thank God for your lovely spouse and buy her something nice or do something nice for her, preferably BOTH!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 11:46:04 AM »
She doesn't know it but she realy likes that BC 4570

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Sidekick
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
I sure am glad I remembered seeing this post.  I was reading through the on-line catalog AGAIN and didn't know what made the difference in Firearm and Non-firearm.  Now I do.  If you get the Huntsman, does it come on the SB2 frame or do you have to get the Combo w/243 to get the SB2 frame.  Also, can you get a Huntsman combo with other than 243 barrel. :shock:
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 02:15:53 PM »
It looks like it can come on either a SB-1 frame...or a SB-2 frame...and I'm not sure how just a plain huntsman comes...and it looks like it only comes with the 243 in the SB-2 combo

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=2&subcat=33

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline buckbeast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 02:44:17 PM »
The "huntsman only" gun comes on the SB1 frame therefore only shotgun barrels can be fit to it. I know because I have one that I sent in for a 20 ga mod. and ultra slug barrel for. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would buy a rifle in either 30-06 or 7mm-08 and add a huntsman, 20 ga mod., and ultra slug barrel to it. Then I would be able to add other rifle calibers if I chose.

Buck
Just a country boy from the mountains of PA

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Huntsman
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »
Quote from: buckbeast
The "huntsman only" gun comes on the SB1 frame therefore only shotgun barrels can be fit to it. I know because I have one that I sent in for a 20 ga mod. and ultra slug barrel for. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would buy a rifle in either 30-06 or 7mm-08 and add a huntsman, 20 ga mod., and ultra slug barrel to it. Then I would be able to add other rifle calibers if I chose.

Buck

Then I would have to get the Huntsman combo in .243 to get the SB2 frame.  I should have no trouble finding someone who would swap for the .243 barrel.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"