Author Topic: 10 gauge pattern results  (Read 1252 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
10 gauge pattern results
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:26:13 AM »
using the target image at http://thesouthernoutdoorsman.com/Image1.gif here are my results for my 10 gauge nef
1st shot federal grand slam 3 1/2"  #5 shot, 15 yards, majority of shot in 12" circle (didn't use turkey target)
2ond shot winchester supreme3 1/2" #5shot,15 yards, majority of shot in 10" circle (didn't use turkey target)
3rd shot, federal ,25 yards, 21 holes in printed area
4th shot, winchester, 25 yards, 26 holes in printed area
5th shot ,federal, 45 yards, 7 holes in printed area
6th shot, winchester, 45 yards, 10 holes in printed area
Any input to improve this would greatly be appreciated. I was hoping to get a true 50 yard turkey gun out of this.THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline Juette

10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 09:31:18 AM »
Are you using the factory choke or an aftermarket choke?

I have a Kick's Gobblin Thunder in mine and here are my results:

At 15 yards, it's putting the majority of pellets in a 4 1/2 inch circle (Federal Premium # 5's)

At 25 yards, 45 pellets in the head/neck region of H.S. Strut turkey patterning target.  (Federal Premium #5's) At this distance a majority of the shot is in ten inch circle.

At 40 yards, 33 pellets in the head/neck area. H.S. Strut target (Federal Premium #6's)

At 50 yards, 16 pellets in the head/neck area on a target very similar to the one you are using. (Federal Premium #6's)

At 60 yards, 6 pellets in head/neck area on a target very simiar to what you used. (Federal Premium #6's)

I also had a lot of other targets at varying yards, but can't seem to put my hands on them right now. I've put like 5 boxes of varying load combos through my gun and thw Winchester Premium #6's are shooting the best from my NEF 10.

I hope my results help you with your patterning.  Also, I'm using a 1.5x magnification scope on these shots.  It really helped me at longer distances.

Juette

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 09:47:02 AM »
I am using the factory choke tube. How much better do you think I can get it with aftermarket choke tube, and which one do you reccomend?THANKS!!

Offline Juette

10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 09:52:33 AM »
I just amended my response and included my results above.  It will tell you how much it improved my patterns.  The factory choke is junk.

The Kick's Gobblin Thunder is working very well for me so I know it would be a great choice for you also.  Others have told me that they have had excellent results with Comp-N- Chokes and Rhino choke tubes.  Make sure you order the model that fits Browning Invector 10, but do not get the Browing Invector +, as it will not fit.

You can get any of these models via www.wingsupply.com

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 09:57:08 AM »
presdme, I am enthralled by these fine little guns and defend them always, but if they have any faults other than the occasional horrible trigger pull (like my brand new Sportster!!!) it is their choke tubes. Better to throw them away and buy ANY other....And remember, I LOVE these guns!!! I wish I could reccommend the best choke tube out there for the 10 gauge but others are better qualified for that, good luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:16:57 AM »
Thanks all for the response, juette I want results like yours so I will try the kicks thunder !!! THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!!   Which one are you using the .685 or the .690

Offline Juette

10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 05:42:43 PM »
You are very welcome.  My choke tube is the .690 model.

Offline jeff223

10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 06:04:03 PM »
if you want a true 50yd gun you will need to take it somewhere and have the forcing cone lengthened.this job runs around $30.00.next you will want an aftermarket choke tube.i have a xxx comp n choke.

do these things first then pattern your gun on paper.save your ammo until then :wink:

if you dont know anyone that does the forcing cones on shotguns barrels go to a trap club and someone there can direct you to someone that can do the job for you.this alone will help the gun out alot.it will hold pattern very good after that.if you want a 50yd gun you will need a scope or red dot for aiming.if the gun patterns good at 45 or 50yds it will be very tight at 25yds and less.the cross hair of your scope should be zeroed to the center of the pattern.i shot a turkey last year at 30yds with my 10ga and it just mashed the toms head.if you get the forcing cone done and a good aftermarket tube you will be impressed with the gun

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 04:01:15 AM »
Thanks jeff I already have a 42mm red dot mounted, now its off to find a compnchoke or a kicks gobblin thunder. The only person that will do a forcing cone around here is gander mountain $50.00$ (Portage county ohio) will it make a major difference ? THANKS ALL!!!

Offline jeff223

10 gauge pattern results
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 02:21:04 PM »
the forcing cone makes a big differance.there is a guy here in Michigan that will do the job for $30.00.that is what he charged me.the new tube helped some but i still wasnt happy with the gun.put up with all that recoil and nothing special out of the gun.

shoot your gun on paper starting at 20yds.check the target,put a new paper target out and move back 5 yds.shoot again check the target and put out a new one.move back again another 5yds and repeat the process.doing this you will see where the gun blows the pattern.there will be holes in the patten.you may have an area in the pattern where the pellets are close together but right next to that there will be a hole.you dont want that.what you are looking for is a nice even pattern where most of the pellets are in a nice round pattern.there will be a few fliers outside of this nice round pattern.by lengthening the forcing cone the barrel will hold this nice even pattern out at a greater distance.the choke can be changed to make the pattern tight or medium of very open if you want.im sure you have a trap club near you somewhere.go there and ask about this,dont just take my word for it.

that 10ga will really hit you so its nice to have two shooters there to share with the fun of patterning.im sure you know what i mean  :)