Author Topic: Equipment You Take....  (Read 2209 times)

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2005, 05:34:46 PM »
Gun, ammo, knife, and usually something to sit on.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 05:35:12 PM »
Man of simplicity are we, SB?  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 05:56:20 PM »
I guess a hunter just has to ask themselves, "when is the last time I used this stuff" and make a desicion on what the answer is? And, you have to remember Illinois isn't the desert or the mountains or the jungle.
AF&AM #294

Offline JPSaxMan

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 12:38:00 AM »
Well, there's chupacabra in Illinois, or so one woman reported  :evil:  :roll:  :-D . He's a scary dude. But yea, I can see wut you're saying. It's just that I've used all the stuff in my pack at one time or another and couldn't see going without it :) . But that's just me.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 05:25:06 AM »
I always travel "light" since I usually either sit in my portable ground blind or, depending on how many other hunters are in the woods, I might stalk around in the woods, all less than a mile from our cabin.

The more hunters from different deer camps there are in the woods, the more I tend to sit tight in my portable ground blind.

My two sons and my 3 other hunting buddies are  usually less than a half mile away and my sons have drag ropes, etc. and have volunteered to do the dragging if I get a big buck.  And so I take:

my Model 99 with a full rotary magazine
6 extra cartridges in 2 metal cigar tubes
binoculars
radio (5 mile range)
small throw-away camera
compass
water
candy bars
knife
toilet paper
small piece of plastic to sit on if I decide to still hunt and wanna sit down now and then.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tomaldridge

Stuff
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 06:03:19 AM »
Rifle with extra rounds, Butt pack (Big butt guys get to carry big packs), rifle cleaning system, evidence gloves, wipes, binoculars, water, food, redneck multi-tool, drop point knife, rope, book, drag rope, small jug of coffee, flashlight, map, Indian easy chair (made from shooting sticks & pad), grunter, turkey call, freezer bags, camera, license, travel alarm
orange plastic tape for trail marking & tying on rack, whistle, truck key, and an extra pair of gloves.

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2005, 06:08:20 AM »
MAN...Where do you guys park your wheelbarrow when you get to your stand? :-D  :-D  I guess I go way light ,I only hunt my property so my walks are from about 100 yds to the closest stand to about 3/4 mile to the back.
okay lets see..
rifle or contender w/3 shells
flashlight
Buck knife w/zipper
pocketknife
munchies of some kind
water
bino's
rags/handtowel
plastic bag to put heart in
cell phone
I think thats about it but like when I go hunting, I probably forgot something.  :-D  :-D  SGB
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2005, 06:17:46 AM »
hunt4570, the ground we hunt is extremely rugged, with deep, steep ravines. Truely a place for a handgun in a shoulder holster. Everyone takes a deer cart along and most take a nylon rope come-a-long to get them up out of the ravines.  Thing is we leave them in the back of the pickup trucks. We lighten our load as much as possible.
AF&AM #294

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2005, 11:23:06 AM »
S.B. you say steep ravines,I grew up in northern Ill...I thought the whole state was flat.I guess thats what I get for thinking.Here in central OK it's just kind off rolling,not to steep.I've always thought it would be fun to hunt more rugged terrain,but a pain to get the deer out. Here after I dress the deer I walk home and get the tractor/loader drive out and pick it up. :grin: SGB
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2005, 11:41:38 AM »
We hunt the Marsailles National Guard training area (2500 acres). Near where the Fox and Illinois rivers come together.
AF&AM #294

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »
I carry a lot of stuff in the old Jeep but while hunting anymore I never get more than a 100 yards or so from the Jeep. I hunt from ambush points and I can either set up a ground blind or stay right in the Jeep. In farm country the deer pay little attention to trucks and tractors.
shot placement is everything.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2005, 06:42:01 AM »
I hunt a small piece of property, but my normal gear all goes in the backpack so it is not forgotten:
binocs
extra ammo in wallet type holder
field dressing knife
latex gloves
tie wrap for tag
water
soda
granola bar and snacks
camo face net, gloves
flashlight
toilet paper
cell phone

Leatherman and folding knife on my belt.

pepaw

WHOOPS.   Forgot  the new disposable camera for field shots.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
What do you take?
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2005, 09:36:33 AM »
My license, tag, and pen to fill-out the same.  At least one hunting knife, maybe two.  A small flashlight.  Extra cartridges (never need them -- probably ought to leave in the truck).  Water, food, and toilet paper.  A face net to obscure my face.  Camo face paint (I don't like this, it is too hard to clean off, generally I don't use it so should probably not carry it).  Whistle and compass (the place I hunt on is so small -- 160 acres -- and I know it well enough the compass is unnecessary but I carry it anyway -- go figure).  A piece of rope I can use to drag the deer out, if need be.  Binoculars.  A digital camera.  I could certainly carry less, but I don't feel any real pain carrying the above.

In the truck (a chevy suburban with the back row of seats removed and the middle row of seats turned down) I have a plastic tarp to put Mr/Mrs deer upon to promote domestic tranquility when my wife gets the vehicle back.