Author Topic: which nef/H&R for turkeys?  (Read 585 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
which nef/H&R for turkeys?
« on: March 10, 2005, 10:51:49 AM »
I'm going turkey hunting for the first time this year and i don't want to buy a 500 dollar gun if i don't like it. and it seems that turkey hunting is mostly a one shot kinda thing. i want a 12 gauge but should i buy there turkey gun or just there base model? also is the lack of rifle type sights a detriment?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:49:14 AM »
Any 12 ga Pardner or topper will be a good turkey gun. The real thing you need to be concerned with is knowing the capabilities of the gun and the shooter. You might get more range with a choke tube barrel with a good aftermarket choke and a forcing cone job, but a plain jane 12ga will do the job at 30 yards. Pattern it and shoot some turkey targets and know what you and your gun are capable of and you cant go wrong. Go to a pawn shop and pick up a used one. Guns with bead sights did all the turkey killing until the last 20 years or so. I'd rather see you spend your time and money practicing with a bead sight.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 02:55:19 PM »
how much would it cost to put choke tubes on one? i don't know if this would work but would some sort of tang sight work? like one off a sharps obviouly not one that tall but a shorter one?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 03:49:32 PM »
Ithink a good choice for you would be the topper deluxe classic (TDC). It comes threaded for screw in chokes and had a vent rib that can be fitted with any of the varrious clamp on turkey sights. Costs about $140.00 at walmart and it's probably the best looking H&R out there.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 04:26:10 AM »
Yup, the TDC would be a good choice...I prefer the 10GA for turkey but to each his own.  There is a better choice of aftermarket chokes and turkey loads for 12GA's too...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense