Author Topic: Bullets and Lube  (Read 970 times)

Offline WW1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bullets and Lube
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:59:53 AM »
Hi I am new to casting....just getting my stuff together and wanted to ask a few questions...I just bought a Star lube/sizer...I will be casting for the 44mag(Ruger SA), the 45LC(Ruger Sa), and the 45-70(Ruger#1/Browning 1885)....my questions are:
#1 what lube to use...since I will be shooting hgher velocities, which lube will be the best for no leading?...the Rifles might be pushed to 2,000 fps..
I aim to hunt with the 45-70 for deer elk and bear....that brings me to another question
#2 a good bullet for hunting ...I assume the bullet would have to be between 300 and 400 grs?...I dont want to have a bunch of differnt bullet weights for everything unless I have ot...
#3 has anyone tried the Mirro-Lube?...will it do what I need?...thanks for any help you might give...also types of molds are any of them better than another?...oh yes I have lots of Lino lead, is it to hard or to soft for a hunting bullet?...
thanks alot
WW1
All a man has is his word and good name...

Offline Leftoverdj

Re: Bullets and Lube
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:39:44 AM »
Quote from: WW1
#1 what lube to use...since I will be shooting hgher velocities, which lube will be the best for no leading?...the Rifles might be pushed to 2,000 fps..

I aim to hunt with the 45-70 for deer elk and bear....that brings me to another question

NRA Formula 50/50 beeswax/alox will do what you need. Sold under a lot of brand names, Javelina being one.  2000 fps is too ambitious for a starting caster. Stay down under 1800 fps until you get a grip on things.

#2 a good bullet for hunting ...I assume the bullet would have to be between 300 and 400 grs?...I dont want to have a bunch of differnt bullet weights for everything unless I have ot...

Yup, 350 to 405 sounds like the right weight range. It needs to be a gas check design for the kind of velocities you are talking about and probably should have a biggest flat on the nose, 60-70%.

#3 has anyone tried the Mirro-Lube?...will it do what I need?...thanks for any help you might give...also types of molds are any of them better than another?...oh yes I have lots of Lino lead, is it to hard or to soft for a hunting bullet?...
thanks alot

Never tried Mirro-Lube. I would suggest that you go to www.mountainmolds.com and look at their typical designs for your .45-70 mould.  Take a look at what Lee has to offer in six cavity pistol moulds. Plain base will do fine for the .45 Colt, but you might want a GC design for the .44 Mag.

That lino makes a mighty hard bullet used straight, and it is hard to find and expensive. I'd use 4 parts of wheelweights to one of lino for your purposes. You may think you have a lot of lino now, but a few years down the road you will be wondering where it all went. Been there, done that.

[/b]
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Bullets and Lube
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 04:27:02 PM »
Here's what I use to hunt. I like LBT Blue lube. Works for me.

Joshua 1:9

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Bullets and Lube
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 10:51:41 PM »
for a 4570 an rcbs 405 flat nose gas check is hard to beat its been very accurate in every gun ive tried it in. Lube wise both of my favorite commercial lubes have been covered javalina and lbt blue. Favorite alloys are 5050 ww lyno for rifle and  9/1 ww lyno for handguns (mag) and ww for any other handgun Some guns like them a little softer but not many like them harder.
blue lives matter

Offline MGySgt

Bullets and Lube
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 12:45:03 AM »
Quote from: LAH
Here's what I use to hunt. I like LBT Blue lube. Works for me.

Ok - How about some particulars on that bullet?  Size, weight, and where pray tell to get some?  

Drew

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Bullets and Lube
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 05:35:02 AM »
The bullet is a 430 gr. flat nose gas check. If I could use only one cast bullet from 45 caliber rifles, it would be this one. I know some rifles handle bullets different such as the Sharps and Trapdoors but for lever guns, Rugers, and magnum bolt hunting rifles this bullet is hard to beat. Walt Melander cut this mould for us before he passed on.

The bullet is a dead ringer for the RCBS 458-405-FN, only a little heavier. Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore Ammo suggested this bullet to us. You can see the measurements @ www.creeker.net  If you wish to try some remember we sell them in any amount you want, even one.
Joshua 1:9

Offline buck1

Bullets and Lube
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 06:53:47 AM »
My dad used mirro lube years ago . He liked it for the 44s but had trouble finding it. He switched to lbt for ease of locating it.  I don't know about high vel with it.
But with lbt or homemade felix for that matter, you cant go wrong for any smokeless bullet. ....buck

PS Creeker has a lot of happy customers!! I have never heard nothing but praise!

Offline MGySgt

Bullets and Lube
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 08:13:51 AM »
Quote from: LAH
The bullet is a 430 gr. flat nose gas check. If I could use only one cast bullet from 45 caliber rifles, it would be this one. I know some rifles handle bullets different such as the Sharps and Trapdoors but for lever guns, Rugers, and magnum bolt hunting rifles this bullet is hard to beat. Walt Melander cut this mould for us before he passed on.

The bullet is a dead ringer for the RCBS 458-405-FN, only a little heavier. Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore Ammo suggested this bullet to us. You can see the measurements @ www.creeker.net  If you wish to try some remember we sell them in any amount you want, even one.

Ok Creeker, I am going to send an order.  Currently I have 3 45/70's to try this in, 2 Marlin's (GG and Microgrove) and a #1.  Even though I hate to buy cast when I cast my own, but it would be better to try some of a known quanity/quality.  If should at least give me a base line for acuracy and velocity to go by.

Drew

Offline WW1

• Avid Poster
WOW!!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 08:52:45 PM »
I missed 2 days of checking and now I am swamped...hahaha.
the printer is printing as I am typing this..I will come in tomorrow if I am able and answer everything that was written....it looked like some very good info and I thank you all alot...I just picked up a used Star lube/sizer and now am looking for bullet molds...I have lots of lino but no WW, so guess I will look for some...that is what I figgured that my Lino was probably to hard...as for the lubes now I have something to try...the reason I asked about the morror lube is I know where I can buy quite a bit of it pretty cheap, but didnt want to without knowing anything about it.. havent found anything on the web so am holding off...looks like I should be looking for a gas check bullet for my rifles...I have read you can load the ruger and browning up quite high with jacketed stuff, untill your shoulder says stop..will be looking for a load just a bit higher that the levers will take...anyway thanks again, and the next post I make I will have my printed stuff handy so I can see what I am answering...WW1

Offline MGySgt

Bullets and Lube
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:16:32 AM »
Ok Creeker, I am going to send an order.  Currently I have 3 45/70's to try this in, 2 Marlin's (GG and Microgrove) and a #1.  Even though I hate to buy cast when I cast my own, but it would be better to try some of a known quanity/quality.  If should at least give me a base line for acuracy and velocity to go by.

Drew[/quote]

Creeker,   I sent an e-mail as directed from your web site but you spam blocker rejected it.

So - just how the HECK do I order????????????

Drew

Offline WW1

• Avid Poster
Thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 02:08:10 AM »
thanks for all the advice...lord knows us newbies need all we can get...hahaha..Leftoverdj thanks for your help and I wasnt figguring on jumping right in with max loads for my 45-70, but if you figgure on going a little hot in the future you need to prepare for that when you purchse.... not sure I could take the high vel in the Ruger and keep my shoulder in one piece..hahaha..LAH I just may try your bullet and lube, and when I cast I may still use the lube, as it sounds good...I guess my first step will be to see if I can pick up a good set of used molds...I am going to work with the 45-70 first...Lloyd Smale thanks for your input also...was thinking on the 405 grain...(deep sigh).....hahaha...so many choices...thanks again...WW1