Author Topic: USH 20ga w/rifle sights  (Read 530 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
USH 20ga w/rifle sights
« on: March 19, 2005, 07:53:32 PM »
Has anyone configured a USH barrel with rifle sites?  Anyone have one configured with both R/S and a Scope?  From what all of you that own these USH 20ga's have written, these seem to be nearly the ultimate slug guns.  I think I would like to have one, but as most of you know already, I would have to have open sights installed in order to have them on this barrel.  Therefore, my question.  Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
USH 20ga w/rifle sights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 02:28:59 AM »
I would think for about the same cost or less you could add a tracker2 barrel that already has rifle sights on it. Most of the time in my experince and reading when you have sights and optics combined with see through rings or something you never use the sights. If I think nef will put the sights on it for you for $50.00 give or take. Not sure on that it's been a while since this has come up. I'm sure it's just another one of my goofy pet peaves but I always thing a gun looks silly with a scope and a big old front sight sticking out.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Scope & Sights
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 02:50:08 AM »
Yes, I suppose it would look kinda silly.  Problem is, I was thinking of this for the USH 20ga youth barrel 22in.  You can't get the Tracker in 22in or I would be all over that.  I really need to check out some shotgun scopes.  My concern is in heavy cover how effective the scope would be.  Maybe I need to bone up on those before I get too serious and waste money on something I really wouldn't need.  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
USH 20ga w/rifle sights
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 03:41:27 AM »
If thats really a concern just get a low power scope or a red dot or maybe a holosight. As long you have a big field of view you'll be fine. Another option would be to chop a tracker2 and mount an after market front sight if those 2" of extra barrel got in the way. Another way to go would be a 22"smoothbore with rifle sights added. If you are at close ranges in heavy cover the smoothbore is adequate.My first deer were all killed with a smothbore 20ga with a bead sight. The farthest shot I ever took with that gun was probably 40yards. The best option is to do all of the above and tell us what works best and how you explained the need to spend all of the money on guns to your wife.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
EXPLANATION
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 04:05:38 AM »
The trick is DON'T ASK and DON'T TELL.  If I can avoid the EXPLANATION part I do.  LOL  You know how that is,  you never come out on top, they will always twist it again and want another answer. LOL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
USH 20ga w/rifle sights
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 05:33:31 AM »
My concern is in heavy cover how effective the scope would be. Maybe I need to bone up on those before I get too serious and waste money on something I really wouldn't need. Thanks

Since your talking about 150 yards max range..any of the low power scopes work rather well...the main thing to remember is to have one with enough eye relief as to not smack you in your eye when you shoot it. Burris,Leupold,Mueller...all make some fine scopes...and you will have to deceide between a fixed low power and a variable scope...both will serve you well...a combination type scope...illuminated dot and a low power variable can give you the best of both worlds.....I use a Leupold VX-1 2x7x33 for my hard kicking brush guns...it gives me the option of dialing it up to 7 power when I need it...and it is a non- critical eye relief scope..meaning I still have a clear site picture over a longer or shorter lenght of pull..from wearing heavy bulky coats to a tee shirt.....if eye relief is a concern...go with the Leupold...if you can get by with 3" of eye relief or less.....then most of the other scopes will serve you well...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Scope or Rifle sights
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 02:11:01 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I can see that I need to do more research before I start shellin' out the cash.  Thanks for the help.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"