Author Topic: Interesting...Shotgun POI and patterning  (Read 1083 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Interesting...Shotgun POI and patterning
« on: February 07, 2005, 04:41:38 AM »
I found this on another site and thought it was interesting and helpfull...

"I found an inexpensive way to improve the patterns on my .410 and my 12 gauge NEF Pardner shotgun barrels. My .410 is a fixed-full choke, and the 12 gauge is a fixed-modified choke. No matter which shotshells I used, both barrels were shooting consistently low, compared to the point of aim. They both had similar holes in their patterns too.

These problems were slight, but I wanted to correct them, if possible. I wondered if there might be a common reason for these two barrels, of extremely differing bore sizes, to have such similar pattern characteristics. It turned out that they did. At least that is the conclusion that I eventually came to.

Here's how I figured it out. First, I inspected the bore of each barrel and found that both of them showed more machining marks than other barrels I had seen. Secondly, in the inspection process I found that the threading for the screw-in sight beads had left several jagged burrs that I had not noticed without my reading glasses on. (These threads go all the way through the barrel wall on the standard weight NEF barrels.)

After a thorough cleaning, I took out a small, but very sharp, stainless steel pocket knife and painstakingly cut and scraped the excess metal from the threaded area inside each barrel. I hand-chamfered the edges with fine emery cloth, taking care not to leave any sharp edges. Next, I burnished both barrels with 0000 steel wool, in accordance with burnishing instructions found at the following website:
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-bore-polishing.html

It was time to put my work to the test. I test fired both barrels at the range at 25 yards for the .410, and 40 yards for the 12 gauge. I didn't do a complete pellet count this time. I just did a point-of-aim to point-of-impact test, and compared the general look of the patterns to earlier tests which I had done before the deburring and burnishing process. Both barrels shoot dead-on to the point of aim now, with the center of the pattern impacting within a couple of inches of the center of the target.

Success--it feels good  I love my NEF guns even more now. I have three. In addition to the .410 bore and the 12 gauge, I have the Huntsman .50 Cal. muzzleloader. It is superb!"

The above was posted by "Tenderfoot"on another forum, I found it worth the read....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dawei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Interesting...Shotgun POI and patterning
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 05:24:09 AM »
the correct link is:

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-bore-polishing.html

eliminate the period @ end of string.

Offline turkeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 05:40:06 AM »
I had noticed the same thing on my barrel.  I will have to try this to see if the POI changes.  I have shot one of those Brazilian guns that the POI was so low at 35 yds. it was almost unusable.
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 06:49:20 AM »
Looks like its worth giving a try MSP, thanks. :D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 07:17:55 AM »
:D , Good luck guys, hope it helps someone. And thanks for the address correction dawei, it's been corrected in the original post....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »
MSP Ret, When you were patterning your .410  NEF, were you using 2 1/2" or 3" shells?
I'm reading in other forums as well as this one that the 2  1/2" shells yield a better pattern, while the 3" shells have holes blown in the middle!

I did read of one fellow who used the 3" shells for wing shooting only, using the long pellet string to advantage, while using the 2 1/2" shells for small game.

I've got a couple boxes of 2 1/2 " and 3"  #6 shells to   pattern, but I just haven't been finding myself near the range lately....

I AM very surprised  :shock:  at  the prices of factory ammo for the .410, even at Walmart......I normally handload everything, 12ga, 16ga, 7-08 Rem, 22 Hornet., 32ACP, 38 spl, 303Brit, 40S&W.....I may be looking for a .410 loader.... :lol:  soon!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 03:56:46 PM »
offhand35, I have Winchester 2 1/2" #6's and some Remington 2 1/2" #7 1/2's on hand right now for the .410 but think  will try to stay with the #6's. I would like to find some #5 shot in 2 1/2" but I don't even know if they are available.  Wal Mart special deals in the Winchester 2 1/2" Super Speed's are the best I have found for price and and they shoot well for me also....<><.... :grin:

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 02:36:58 AM »
:shock: I was about to  clean my  "new" Topper 88 .410 bore  shotgun, when I noticed a clean streak in the fouling from the muzzle back to the threaded hole for the bead!!!!

It looks like the previous owner had the same problem, and probably gave up on it after a while, as this gun' s lock up and appearance make it look as though it were fired only a few times!!!

I will be cleaning up the threaded hole burr as you had, and hopefully get to the pattern board this week.  I'll post how that went.

This gun is from 1981, and it has spent all this time probably labeled a lousy shooter......
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 03:27:02 AM »
Great offhand, I hope it helps, and let us know how it works out....<><.... :grin: