Author Topic: Rem in-line groove diameter  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Rem in-line groove diameter
« on: November 28, 2002, 02:14:35 PM »
 Worked well for me!!
WHUT?

Offline savageT

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 02:59:04 PM »
ric,

First off is your Remington a Model700 In-Line?  If so, I believe that it can take easily up to 100grains plus Triple 7.  If needed, that should give you greater velocity.  You should have 1 in 28 twist rate which is way too fast for patch and ball, and conicals also!  You really need to find a gun and barrel with I would guess 1:48 or higher twist.
However, I'm confused by your statement about not being able to use sabots in your 50cal., yet 54cal. sabots are ok?????  At any rate, Cecil at Precision Bullet/Rifle makes a number of custom all soft lead bullets and conicals and he would be happy to offer his suggestions on matching your needs with state mandates.  Cabela's also carries his bullets.  Let us know how you make out.
savageT

http://www.prbullet.com/
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 04:34:07 AM »
Ric, the target I posted above was shot with 400 grain Ultimate 1 HP SP pure lead, .50 caliber conicals.  The ignition source is pretty irrelevant as far as how that bullet performs.  And it is DEADLY!  Go to PRBullet.com and check out his bullet lineup.  I'm sure you will find that what I was trying to suggest with that target will suit your purpose.
WHUT?

Offline AJ

Rem700ML
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 03:57:53 AM »
Give Powerbelts, musket caps, and 3 of the 50 gr pyrodex pellets a try.  

The Rem 700 ML does not handle much over 100 gr of T7.  I have tried it and the blow by is horrendus at the upper loads.  It works great with 150 of FF or Pyro RS.

Offline savageT

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 04:42:44 AM »
Hey AJ!
I, along with some others, don't like the Pyrodex pellets because of their nasty habit for poor ignition.  That little black dot on one side of the pellet better be facing the ignition source.....something that's easily overlooked in the early morning darkness when you're loading up for the day.  Also, in an attempt to make certain you get the pellets and the bullet loaded properly with no air-spaces, it's very easy to crumble the pellets (me especially!)  I like to mark my ramrod to make certain each load gets the same compression every time.
Now with Pyrodex Powders, you get just as much bang for the buck (maybe even more) but you don't have to worry about the lack of ignition.  I always tilt my side-hammer down and bang the opposite side good with the palm of my hand to let the powder fall into the ignition hole.  Never had a mis-fire with loose powder.
AJ, I agree that more than 100 grains of Triple 7 is wasting powder, but will only yield poorer accuracy and consistancy.  If anything, I'd go less (80-90 grains) for better accuracy  Recall that Hodjdon originally stated that you should use about 15% less Triple 7 than the std. Pyrodex.
I would also suggest that everyone checkout Cecil's "Precision Rifle" site to view the results that we've seen using his bullets and 100 grain loads of Triple 7.  He gets unbelievable results with many different guns.  Hey, I don't have stock in his little company, I just appreciate his helping all of us to get the most performance from our front loaders.

http://www.prbullet.com/
savageT
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline AJ

ML stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 06:42:15 AM »
Savage T,
I totally agree with you about PR bullets.  I shoot the 40 QT 235 gr sabot.  They will shoot MOA or better in my 700 ML and are great on deer.  I have spoken with Cecil at great lengths because I was not getting decent accuracy at first.  After a lot of trial and error, Cecil and I came up with my present concoction that works great in 2 different 700 ML and 3 different Black Diamonds.  I shoot 3 50 gr pellets, 40 QT 235 gr sabot, and CCI musket caps.  I have had great success with the pellets.  They have produced the best accuracy in my 3 guns.  I have tried the same amount (150 gr) with Pyrodex RS, Select, Clean Shot, Clear Shot, and T7.  I shoot musket caps as they have given the best accuracy with dependable ingition.  I have tried the 209 primers, but the accuracy went to pot.  I did have ignition problems with #11 caps.  I tried RWS musket caps but they are not as hot as the CCI.  

I load my speed loaders with the pellets in the proper orientation so loading in the woods is not a problem.  Open the cap and dump them in.  I seat the bullet firmly but do not pound on the bullet.  Why spend the extra $ on PR bullets and then deform the ogive with the ramrod?  I made my own bullet adapter that screws in my ramrod.  I machined it to match the ogive of the bullet.  Probably the best thing I have done for accuracy is to use the ramrod guide while loading.  I machined some delrin to fit snugly in my barrel ahd the inside fits my ramrod perfectly.  I also spit patch between shots (even in the field).  It only takes a few seconds and the difference in accuracy is amazing.