Author Topic: Looking for advice for daughters first hunt  (Read 844 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Looking for advice for daughters first hunt
« on: November 01, 2004, 09:27:45 AM »
My daughter has been wanting to hunt with me.  We both just completed the hunter safety course here in illinois and now are ready too hunt.  I can remember a few things my dad told me for my first hunt, but not all.  Does anyone have any advice or things they tried with their daughters first hunts?

My daughter is a hell of a shot with hand guns and long guns.  The last time we shot trap she nailed the first 8 out of 10.  She is very safe and muzzle conscious.  I just want all aspects of hunting to be good for her so she does not get scared off.

thank you.

Offline savageT

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 05:57:51 AM »
Charley Tango,
You didn't give us too much background on you or your daughter such as age, but here goes anyhow........
Go back and review your training materials that you received in the Hunter's Safety Course that you and your daughter just participated in.
LEARN the basics of gun safety and practice them religiously.
ALWAYS treat a firearm as if were loaded and carry it accordingly.
IDENTIFY your target, and the path of the projectile beyond the target as well.  Watch out for scope users......the view can be like wearing blinders.
WEAR Hunter Orange as there is nothing else in the woods that color except another hunter like yourself. Remember, it's your life!

Good Luck out there and have fun!

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 11:49:49 AM »
My daughter has been hunting with me since she was eight. At nine, I took her to the hunter education course, and she started to do her own shooting. Try to get her in a good spot where she will at least see some game, but also be sure she understands that killing is not the number one priority. The time you share with her in the woods will become memories that she will always have. Enjoy it while you can. If you get the chance to bag something, then it's a bonus. My daughter is thirteen now and is starting to have things in her life that are more important than sitting in the woods with me. She doesn't go all the time any more, but she still asks to go, and she enjoys the outdoors. During archery season this year we were sitting on a well used trail. We both had our bows on our laps when a hog stuck it's head out of the brush, and stood broadside at about 15 yards away for what seemed like forever. Neither of us could move. The look in her eyes is something I will always remember.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Daughter hunting memories
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 06:10:43 PM »
Hi congratulations on passing on your tradition! My thirteen year old hunted this year for the first time (carrying a gun). she has hunted grouse, rabbits and deer with me for 3 - 4 years, but she wanted to leave as soon as the treats and coa coa were gone. And that was fine with me, She and I  walked up on a doe (25 yds) on the trail we were walking on, it snorted and ran and we talked about that for the whole next year even though there was no shooting. A year (15 months)ago she completed the hunters safety class (I went and took the class with her.) She had a deer licence for that season but told me two days before opener she didn't want to go.
  I didn't get mad but I felt a little let down, This year she was the one who was so pumped before season that she got me motivated, So the stand I had built for two the year before got a good safety check and a few nails re-driven and opening morning we sat there freezing together. She didn't get a shot until monday after school but she nailed her 110 lb doe and has been bragging about how she broke tradition and never even touched any guts (long story)  :)  But the fall of 2004 got her her first gray squirrel, first green winged teal & whitetail.
     I am not one to give great advice but I would not leave her alone in a stand the first year. I would sit there with her and explain why you can't shoot at that  spike feeding 100 yds away broadside because you know there is a stand beyond it that MIGHT be occupied. Just push safety. and keep it fun. Bring quiet snacks or open the candy bars at home and put them in a ziplock so they aren't so loud.  If she is shy and there is no bathroom close by.. try to plan short hunts just a couple hours A.M. & P.M.
so she doesn't have to lean on a tree if she is nervous about that. Depends on the child. My daughter knew she would hunt with the party of 4 on our stands but when we went to the state land to do "drives", she would be home. ( I wouldn't leave her alone on post yet).
     You are going to have a great hunting buddy, who will hunt like you do. Or she will hunt the way you teach her to its just our job to keep them safe and let them have fun. In another 15 or 16 years you might be sitting on your stand with a 6yr old grand daughter hearing the stories her Mom told her about hunting with Dad.
We're the lucky ones. Bring the camera or camcorder and Have fun, Brent

Offline HuntingGirl2005

Advice for you.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 02:25:56 PM »
My dad has taught me alot of hunting advice. 1. One thing is that you actually dont have to be that quiet. 2. Another thing is make sure your gun is always on safety when your not ready to shoot. 3. Always treat your gun like its a loaded firearm. 4. Never point your firearm at anyone even if it is on safety. That is all i can think of.

sincerely
                                                                        Jasmine
Jasmine Alexis Kay Smith