Author Topic: Omission from WW II Memorial  (Read 571 times)

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Omission from WW II Memorial
« on: March 12, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
A friend sent the following in an Email.
     Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington D.C.  I got an unexpected history lesson.  Since I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, veterans of "the greatest war" with their families. It was a beautiful day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us milled around the Memorial, reading the inspiring words of Ike and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the Memorial, a group of us gathered to read the words President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor : "Yesterday, December 7th,1941 - - a date that will live in infamy - - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked,"

One woman read the words aloud :

"With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph - - "

She was suddenly angry. "Wait a minute," she said.  "They left out the most important part."  "Roosevelt said, so help us God."

"Your probably right," her husband said. "We're not supposed to say things like that now." "I know I'm right." she insisted. "I remember the speech."  The two shook their heads sadly and walked away.  Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself, "Well, it has been over 50 years, She's probably forgotten."  But she was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading. It is "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about Iwo Jima. I haven't gotten to far in the book. It's tough to read because it's a graphic description of battles in the Pacific.

Right there on page 58, Roosevelt's speech to the nation ends, "so help us God." The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the Memorial had fooled me. I was born after the war. But they couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt's words are engraved on their hearts.

WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF HISTORY ???

The author goes on to voice his displeasure, and instructs readers to pass it on, etc., but he raises a good point.  Who indeed gave them the right to exclude wording in a historical speech, because it includes the word God ? I have the feeling that there will soon be blank spots on the Lincoln Memorial, and many others. It has to be time for sane people to get together, and get the word out that enough is enough, and it is time to put this "Politically Correct" crap where it belongs, and FLUSH.

I'm feeling much better now,  Cowpox
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 06:49:28 PM »
Liberal judges, ACLU, Atheists, can all share some of the blame. I sometimes ponder the question if the tens of thousands of soldiers that gave their lives far from home on foreign soil, islands, and beaches could come back today and take a tour of this country for 60 days what they would think and if their sacrifice was worth it or not. It saddens me deeply when I think of what this once great nation has become. Why is it wrong to include Gods name on these memorials if that was the way the passage was supposed to be written. I have never been to Washington to view these things but I have seen the Moving Vietnamese Memorial Wall and it had a great impact on me. I can't really describe the feeling except it was a very humbling experience. A great feelingof sadness is about the only way I can describe it. To realize that all those names were at one time connected to a living, breathing, human being. All I can say is when is this fear of offending someone going to come to an end. :oops:  :cry:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »
I dunno why you folks keep falling for easily checked stuff.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/memorial.asp
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 03:09:43 AM »
Right you are leftoverdj, I guess all urban ledgends play on "signs of the times."  This one is especially easy to guppy on, in view of the current trends, when it comes to anything religious in Government buildings, etc. I used to use snopes regularly, until my conservative friends (most of my friends are) kind of came down on me for believing snopes, because they tend to lean to the left side of the political spectrum. I don't know if this is true or not, but I tried doing a search at snopes on their tendency to lean to the left, and got a page showing the top 25 urban legends ? Anyway, I have gotten away from checking on internet pass-arounds at snopes. No reason to, as I can't talk to my friends about what snopes says on a topic anyway.     Cowpox

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 09:16:36 AM »
Cowpox, I either use Snopes to check on what I already know or to find where to look. I have never caught them cheating on the facts although I have very infrequently found something they missed or have disagreed with their interpetation of the facts. When they say that one of these first person pieces is a rework of something earlier by another person, you can take it to the bank.

Interestingly, I found in checking on this that FDR gave TWO Day of Infamy speeches. The earlier one was a much shorter version delivered to Congress that includes neither the second quote nor "under God". They were clearly added for popular appeal before the second speech was delivered. You can find the original version at the National Archives site in the form of FDR's own hand revised reading copy.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 01:18:59 PM »
Wouldn't expect FDR to have said that would you.....?

He was a Democrat, you know....
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Memorial
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 06:06:36 PM »
Ironglow,  You are probably correct, if he would have made the speech in the last couple of decades. 60 years ago, the DFL was , for the most part, made up of people who were Christians, and proud of it.  This Christian bashing ploy seems to have started to surface when freedom of choice on abortion became one of planks in the DFL's political platform.  Gaining the huge Women's Lib voting block was important, so they had to be politically Pro abortion. At the same time, they couldn't afford to lose the votes of  Christians in the DFL, so when the Churches came out (as expected) Anti abortion, they labeled them the religious right, or as local Democrats called them, "religious kooks."  It worked. Not seeing themselves as religious kooks, the DFL Christians found a way to justify voting for abortion friendly DFL candidates. As I recall, the local DFL battle cry (in the face of questions about upholding baby killing) was "The Republicans will demand you be born, but once you're here, you're on your own." Of course, it has snow-balled, and gets more blatant with each passing day. I find it interesting that the staunchest supporters of abortion are the very same idiots who spit on returning Viet Nam Heros, calling THEM baby killers?    

Leftoverdj, Like you, I have never caught snopes telling a lie. For that matter, I have never seen them leaning left, except for the case my snopes hating friends point to. You know, the one about The Parent of one of the victims in the Columbine massacre speaking before the congressional committee. If you let your imagination loose, you could sense a little lean to the left, in the way they admitted it happened, but talked down the importance of what he said, and who he said it to. Personally, I have nothing against snopes, but don't go there anymore, because of the flak I take from my friends if I drop their name.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 11:01:04 PM »
You are correct Cowpox...

I was only being a provocateur when I made the foregoing statement.

I can recall when most Americans...even most Democrats believed in God..

Even Hollywood made the Biblical "epic" movies, such as The Robe, The Ten Commandments, The Greatest Story ever Told...etc

What some folks will do to retain/regain power is startling....and that includes left AND right..plus everywhere in the middle..

Of course, the sellout of the Left in the last three decades has been truly phenomenal...

Seems they get worse as time goes on...

It appears now that GOOD news for the USA... is BAD news for the left ..and and BAD news for the USA is relished by the far Left....an awkward spot to be in when trying to gain back some "red" states !

BTW...If Hollywood wanted to make a new "epic" movie...They could call it " Sodom and Gomorrah "...it could be really low budget...
  All they would have to do is take their cameras around town, to the Oscar Awards and selected Hollyweird parties...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)