Author Topic: Silent Sniper Round, used in Viet Nam  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Hawgcaller

• Trade Count: (0)
Silent Sniper Round, used in Viet Nam
« on: January 26, 2003, 08:18:54 AM »
Do any of you guys remember seeing a round thet was used by our snipers that was almost silent? These rounds barely sounded more like just the primer firing. The spent rounds looked as if the had a plunger extending from the case. The plunger was what propelled the round , while the charge was contained inside the case, behind the plunger?? These rounds were always recovered upon firing and turned back in, for more. This might be a sensitive issue with some of you, and I will understand .
Watch the Hands!
Attack Me, I Need the Practice!!

Offline Robert

I havent heard of that......
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 03:12:58 PM »
Nothing that I can find in my Cartidges of the World either, but I would sure like to know more also.
....make it count

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 04:59:14 PM »
:-D  8) Law Dog.  I remember that round.  Im just trying to place where I had the information on it at.  It was used around the nam conflict,if I remember correctly or came out shortly thereafter.  It also was used for short distance,under 100 yards.   King
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Hawgcaller

Sniper round
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 03:34:05 AM »
The three main objectives of it were: close quarter kills, minimal detectable noise, almost no muzzle blast. Hmmmm, very effective concept. I know the round was used in the late 60s.
It was strange the way things happened this a.m.. When I attempted to view the thread , I got the "Page not found" message..... Sort of interesting how I mentioned the possibility of this discussion being "sensitive", and the thread's replies could not be read today. I however clicked on King's reply and was able to get around the page fault. Makes you wonder if "Big Brother" might have had a hand in it. Probably not, just a coincidence that it is the first time I have had one of those on this or any other forum. Naah, just my imagination, yeah thats it.Hmmm

thanks for the replies
"watch your back"
Watch the Hands!
Attack Me, I Need the Practice!!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 02:11:39 AM »
Never seen the American one, but the Russians have/had a pistol that worked that way. The piston was held captive in the case, and it propelled a steel rod or dart type projectile. Could be used under water or on land, and is very quiet. Al Paulson writes about it in Supressors vol. 1.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Sniper round
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 08:38:09 AM »
Law Dog:  I never saw one of those but I heard about the Russian application.  A lot of us in my C-Team and B-Team were shooters and reloads and we just made out own subsonic rounds that worked fairly well in the 38s and 9mms.  The 45s were easy to silence - the only problem was hitting accurately at distances.

Had problems with M-14 sub-sonic rounds in finding an accurate load that moved slow enough to be silent with the military silencer - then you could single shot the M-14 and hit with it.  Never played with the M-16 in that regard.

But, played with an interesting gizmo in south America that may have been an off-shoot of either that silent round or the Russian round.  This thing was a modified 1911 that took a high pressure (like very high) CO2 cannister designed to fit into the magazine well that hooked up to a teat on the bottom of the (internally) reconfigured slide to pressure a dart.  The notion was to be able to silence sentries out to 100 yds.  It didn't work worth a squat but it was interesting.  Dang Montainyard cross bow was more effective.  Mikey.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2003, 07:45:14 PM »
Saw the Chi-Com application, didn't handle or use the US version, I thought it was Legend.  A buddy of mine who shot operation Phoenix the same time I did for USMC, for the Army mentioned it...
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline redial

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 12:11:15 PM »
There was during that time a buckshot round that utilized a diaphram between powder and wad to contain the gas. Picture a wadded up baggie inside the round. Very limited velocity, as I recall. Swearingen wrote about it, if memory serves.

The plunger doo-wah round sounds a lot like the Simunitions paintball rounds I used when training rookies. Yes Virginia, they sting like a BITCH. The little plunger telescoped out of the case to assist in cycling the pistol's action but stayed put during ejection.

Redial

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 05:46:08 PM »
Law Dog,
I remember Guns & Ammo running an article (a millinia ago) on that and other exotic rounds used in 'Nam (anybody remember 12ga flechete rounds). As I recall it was chambered in special S&W revolvers and the case month had a flange that screwed in that also served to seat the bullet. The round was designed to be used by "tunnel rats" in ferreting out the cong in their complex tunnel systems that honeycomb South Viet Nam.

KJeff50cal
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 05:54:39 PM »
:D  Still have some of those 12 ga rounds,about 75 of em :D king
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline ibfestus

special smaall arms ordnance
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 06:37:12 AM »
The Navy issued us airweight S&W .38 sp. to be used with .38 sp. tracers that were issued in 3 colors red, green, and either orange or yellow.  Some pointed head fool came up with the idea that if we were shot down we could use a combo of colors as an ID aid. Anybody who ever saw commie tracers would know why this idea sucked a big dill pickle.  Anyway, I kept some of the .38 tracers when I got out and one memorable 4th of july decided to expend same... not one single round traced.  I have never seen .38 special tracers since and was just wondering if anybody else has??   :)
:D

Offline ibfestus

special smaall arms ordnance
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2003, 06:39:48 AM »
The Navy issued us airweight S&W .38 sp. to be used with .38 sp. tracers that were issued in 3 colors red, green, and either orange or yellow.  Some pointed head fool came up with the idea that if we were shot down we could use a combo of colors as an ID aid. Anybody who ever saw commie tracers would know why this idea sucked a big dill pickle.  Anyway, I kept some of the .38 tracers when I got out and one memorable 4th of july decided to expend same... not one single round traced.  I have never seen .38 special tracers since and was just wondering if anybody else has??   :)
:D

Offline S.S.

Silenced Rounds
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2003, 07:57:09 AM »
The rifle round was not very successful, and the only
example I have seen was in 7.62x51.
The 12 Ga. "Rubber Round" was made for the Navy for
shipBoard defense. had No muzzle blast due to the
Internal "Condom looking device" containing the blast.
Low velocity very close range only. They were apparently
made in large numbers, cause there are a lot of them
around.
   The third was made for a modified revolver. If I remember
correctly, they were in .42 caliber and fired a load of heavy
shot. They were for clearing tunnels in Viet-Nam and were 6
shot smoothbores. They were not silent, but there was virtually
no muzzle blast. That was the objective of these rounds.
The person firing the gun was not "Flash blinded" in the dark
tunnels.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".