Author Topic: somebody's been smoking something...  (Read 512 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
somebody's been smoking something...
« on: March 13, 2005, 05:49:35 PM »
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976500482.htm

um... okay

that'd be a logistical nightmare!! i didn't know that either of these where effective military cartridges. anyone know where i can get some cheap surplus .416 rigby ball ammo? i'd prefer non-corrosive, but i'll take what i can get. some tracer and AP as well if you got some.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 06:25:37 PM »
Logic escapes me, too. The .257 Weatherby barrel has a 1-14" barrel which rules out the streamlined 120 grainers you'd need for any really long range shooting.  Only thing I can think the military would need a .416 Rigby for would be to move something from a moderate range, and .50 BMG would do that better.

The possibilities that come to mind are:

1. The pedigree is a fake to jack up the price.
2. Someone managed to get the gubmint to finance his playtoy.
3. It's a one-off for a special ops job with very special needs

Any more wild guesses?
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:02:58 AM »
I'm guessing it was made as a "bunker buster."  Kind of like the .444 Marlin which saw limited use in Vietnam.

I used to have a .416 Rigby.  Talk about a great, all around, rifle with loads of power!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:56:29 PM »
Hah  Hah Hah!!!!  Let me see....All of the units in the Army are constantly scraping by on their fiscal budgets, but some officer managed to slip this on by R&D?  I would like to see the Officer Evaluation Report on this one.

"General Hooah, Colonel Knucklehead has shown exemplary leadership by pushing development of this new weapon system, saving countless soldiers lives....."

"Excellent," responds General Hooah, "After this OER goes through, be sure to put him in for a Meritorious Service Medal."

I really should have gone through with the Green to Gold program.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23