Author Topic: Black Mag3  (Read 731 times)

Offline simonkenton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Black Mag3
« on: March 11, 2005, 05:14:02 AM »
I just put two cylinders of Black Mag3 through my .44 Colt.
This stuff has more power than equivalent amounts of Goex fffg. I do a board penetration test, and I got a little more penetration with the Black Mag 3.
The Black Mag3 is also more accurate.
I got very little fouling. To really test this stuff, I used no greased wad, no lube at all.
It worked fine through 2 cylinders, I bet you could shoot quite a few cylinders before it gummed up. Heck, it may not gum up at all. Just a little grey powder residue.
I am going to do a corrosion test; to wit; not clean the gun. Every few days I will run a patch through a cylinder and see if/when I get rust.
It is interesting that Black Mag3 calls the stuff "noncorrosive" but Cabelas won't use that word in their description of this powder.
This powder is fine, as small as fffg black powder.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
Black Mag3
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:32:24 AM »
:D Thanks for the info.  I'm very interested in your results.  

My son and I are contemplating buying 4 lbs of the stuff, but I do not seem to be able to find an abundance of information about this product.

I noticed that Mag3 didn't post load information for the Ruger Old Army.  When I e-mail them, they wrote back stating the info they posted on their web page is what they had.  Hard to believe that they wouldn't have load data for such a popular ball&cap revolver.

Before I fork over the bucks, I would like to see more information on how it performed for other folks!
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Black Mag3
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:09:26 PM »
I shot one cylinder of 27 grains. This is what I shoot with black powder, and I wanted to do penetration comparisons. With bp I use the heavily lubed wad. I did not use the wads with the Black Mag3.
Then the second time I loaded it pretty full, with 30 grains.  It shot great that time too, no loss in accuracy. This was in  Uberti Colt.
Here are some posts from the last 2 days over on the Savage muzzleloading forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also shot BM3 out of my Black powder Revovler yesterday and it shot the best it ever has. I was hitting the targets better with 35 grains of BM3. 35g of T7 and it was all over the place. Don't knock it until you try it. My Omega and Revovler like it better than T7.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hchcpres

Re: Black Mag 3
« Reply #21 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 5:28pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just finishing my third pound of Black Mag3.Use it in four rifles: 50 cal Omega,Encore,Disc elite.also45cal G2.It performs well in all of them.All Tc`s have the 25 cal conversion,the disc elite has the domed breech plug.No crud ring,no swabbing between shots,easy clean up.In the southern Zone of Michigan we cant use smokeless,Iwould have purchased a H.B. I Guess they are no longer available.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ssspy  

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 02:09am »  

Very easy cleanup in both the revolver and the rifle. Shot 30 rounds out of the revolver without cleaning at all and still performed great. I like it so much I am going to give away my T7 to a friend. T7 had a bad roomers too for ahile I guess people do not like change. Anyway BM3 for me now on.

Dave  

hchc
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 6:57pm »  

I to gave my t7 away. Iwill work with the chrono. and load development when the weather becomes more pleasent. Fortunatly I live close to cabellas so finding it is no problem for me. I suspect if the powder remains as good as it appears to be other stores will stock it soon.  

ssspy

« Reply #27 on: Today at 12:16am »  

Did a little tersting today and shot the bp revolver a bunch today without any cleaning. It shot good the whole time. I took the gun home ang cleaned it in less than five minutes it was easy. T7 I would still be cleaning. Out to the range again in the A.M. with the bp sotgun, rifle, and revolver. It should be some easy cleanin. I am going to go for the 200 yd range with the Omega in the am with the BM3.  

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi
Savage muzzleloading forum
Normally those guys don't discuss pistols, but there is a lot of interest and speculation about Black Mag3 over there.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Black Mag3
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:41:20 AM »
I ended the corrosion test today. I couldn't stand having a dirty gun.
Clean up was very easy, just left a little grey stain in the sink. I let it set 3 days with no cleaning and there was no sign of rust.
I am going to do a different corrosion test using some steel plates.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline savageT

Black Mag3
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 09:06:39 AM »
Quote from: simonkenton
I ended the corrosion test today. I couldn't stand having a dirty gun.
Clean up was very easy, just left a little grey stain in the sink. I let it set 3 days with no cleaning and there was no sign of rust.
I am going to do a different corrosion test using some steel plates.

Simon,
Good efforts!!  I am glad that you are or rather were ready to sacrifice your bp firearm for science......... but more grateful that you're  coming to your senses!!!  Better to dig up a piece of old iron pipe to try it out on, right???  Hope to find some Mag3 soon arond here.............

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
Black Mag3
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 03:45:43 AM »
Simon,

Thanks for your continued efforts.  I think we will pick up some Black Mag3 on our next pilgramage to Cabelas.

Let us know how your corrosion tests come out - if you decide to continue on a piece of pipe/scrap steel etc.
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Black Mag3
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 07:20:39 AM »
I have my test medium. It is a rusty piece of a car body.
These test mediums are easy to come by here in the NC mountains, these hillbillies love to shove an abandoned car into the creek.
This piece of steel is 2 feet long, covered with rust. I ground on it with a wire brush in a drill and it cleaned right up.
When the weather clears up, I will cut out 4 pieces. Will shoot one with the Savage with smokeless powder. Will shoot one with the pistol with black powder, one with the pistol with Black Mag3, and will not shoot the 4th one.
It is real humid here, so should be a valid test.
Aim small don't miss.