Author Topic: edible plants?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline earschplitinloudenboomer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
edible plants?
« on: February 28, 2005, 09:55:58 PM »
Jury's still out on the edible part, but 'round here it's almost ramp season! :D

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
edible plants?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 03:31:19 AM »
The closest I get to ramps is when I run over them with my lawn mower and sniff the air.  I remember biting into one when I was a kid.  Since then they haven't made their way into my diet.  

What do you do with them?
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline earschplitinloudenboomer

• Avid Poster
edible plants?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:50:47 AM »
Quite honestly? I don't like them myself but locally there are spring "feasts of the rampian". There are dinners, two and three day festivals and a smell time is had by all. I do attend several of the dinners, most of them are put on by volunteer fire depts and such as fund raisers. There's alway lots of other good things to eat. Man after a long winter, folks will do almost anything to get out.

best to you and yours...
ears_

Offline jvs

edible plants?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 11:13:24 AM »
The way I understand it.... "Ramps" are those clumps of Green Wires that sprout out of your lawn in the spring that smell sort of like onions.  Around here they call them Wild Onions or Wild Garlic.  They will go to seed on top of the stalks if you dont cut them.

I don't know anybody who cooks with them but I don't think they are harmful if you do.

They usually show up when the Dandelion starts sprouting whihc is something that people around DO eat.  Dandelion Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing.

Offline JPSaxMan

edible plants?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 11:34:59 AM »
Dandelions? Don't they turn your teeth yellow?  :)  :-D . Seriously tho...dandelions? Never woulda thought... :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline jvs

edible plants?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 01:04:03 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Dandelions? Don't they turn your teeth yellow?   Seriously tho...dandelions? Never woulda thought...

Dandelion Leaves are harvested in very early spring, before the buds appear at the center of the plant at ground level.  After the buds appear the plant gets a little too bitter, as the plants juices move up from the root.  Tastes a little like Endive and makes a good salad with hot bacon dressing.  Since you live in Pa, alot of Gun Clubs, Churches and Fire Company's will be having Ham and Dandelion Dinners as Spring and Easter approach.  Keep your eyes open for such weekend dinners.   You may like the taste.

To my knowledge, the flowers are used in wine making, not cuisine.  Dandelion Wine has a pretty potent kick to it, and can make standing up, after a glass full, an experience.

Offline JPSaxMan

edible plants?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 01:12:35 AM »
I might just have to try that myself when spring rolls around.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
edible plants?
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 09:17:49 AM »
Ramps look close to wild onion but are not the same. Close to here there is a big ramp festival every year, I've inly been once. I like ramps with beans or on a big ole boloney samich. They do leave your breath unacceptable to non ramp eaters for about 2 days.
Rick

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
edible plants?
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 04:30:15 PM »
i really like tea made from dandelion leaves. anyone familer with wintergreen. i love to suck on this stuff when i find fishing. it's quite refreshing if suck on it for a little bit then take a drink of water.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
edible plants?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 07:25:49 AM »
Never figured out why all them city people dont like dandylions in their yards :?
They have pretty yellow flowers in the spring and make a great salad.
I kinda like all those yellow flowers :grin:

Offline jvs

edible plants?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 08:21:29 AM »
Quote from: WD45
Never figured out why all them city people dont like dandylions in their yards :?
They have pretty yellow flowers in the spring and make a great salad.
I kinda like all those yellow flowers :grin:

I still look forward to having a dandelion salad every spring.  The flowers make pretty good wine too.  It's alot of work but there isn't a better home-made wine if it's done right.   I made it a few times but now I tend to make easier stuff than Dandelion.   Too much work for me.

As far as some people not liking it in their yard, it's considered a crabgrass and Scott's has a picture of one right on the bag of the lawn food that kills it.  Hence the bad reputation.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
edible plants?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 08:33:48 AM »
A group I belong to up here just purchased a new building and there are wild onion all over the front lawn. We could only pull out 1/2 of them. What  parts do you eat and do they have to be cooked?