Author Topic: gun show promotors.  (Read 1008 times)

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
gun show promotors.
« on: February 28, 2005, 01:21:20 AM »
Hi guys :D
    I got a pet-peeve, that I just have to get off my chest. Its ruining one of our great American traditions, that is the ever increasing price of going to the old American traditional gun show. I assume that most of the readers, on this board have gone to a couple of them and know what I`m talking about.
   Gun shows, here in the south where I`m at is like a tradition, deer season, turkey season, all of the above. But I have been noticeing a increase in fees everytime it rolls around, for example this last week was a gun show in Tulsa, Okla, and it cost $10.00 to get in the door. It seems the people putting on the shows, are gouging us every year with ever increasing prices to attend.
   I called the fairgrounds. authority, to complain, thinking it was them that dictated the price of admission but was told it is the person that puts on the show that sets the price. Not only that but the people that rent the tables for the show, had a drasctic increase also. There table rent went from$85.00 to $165.00.
   I have decided to boycott them and not give them my money. I`ll stay at home from now on. They the promotors that is, have gouged me for the last time.
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
gun show promotors.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 01:23:30 AM »
bullet maker :oops: i forgot to sign the above statements.

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline williamlayton

gun show promotors.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 02:17:11 AM »
Yes I would agree and add.
The ones I attend are very disorganized and, well, very amateurish for the price too attend. It is around $15 here. I attend more professional events such as boat shows, home and garden shows for the same price and generally can find my way around better. Read into this, discombobulated.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
gun show promotors.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 02:56:41 AM »
Twice a year there's a big one in Harrisburg, PA.
They even charge to PARK!
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline magooch

gun show promotors.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 03:46:23 AM »
The cost for the big shows in Portland Oregon have gotten too high, especially when you add in the parking fee.  About the only show that I will consider going to anymore is the ones that are at the fairgrounds in Vancouver, Washington.  I think it's still five bucks and the parking is free.

The only thing I go to gunshows for is ammo.  I've never seen a gun or anything else at a gunshow that I couldn't beat at my local gunshop--excluding ammo.
Swingem

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
gun show promotors.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 06:38:25 AM »
Well yeah but..Their costs have gone up too. In some cases rather drastically I'm sure. They now have to have liability insurance which wasn't needed in times past. They have to pay to have security on the place at all times. They have to pay the folks who manage the show and take up the money and other such expenses.

The only shows I go to anymore are those put on by the Alabama Gun Collectors Assoc. Since I am a member it costs me $20 per year for entry for me and my family no matter how many shows I attend. There are three a year in B'ham and more in Montgomery and Huntsville I can attend if I want to. Might even be some in Mobile. All I have to do is show my badge at the door and I get in free as do any family member accompanying me. Pretty cheap for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
gun show promotors.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 06:42:23 AM »
How much do they cost here? I don't know. I quit going to them years ago.  They either sell junk or they have sky high prices. They charge for parking and to get in the door. I don't need them.
JM :P
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline powderman

gun show promotors.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 08:41:05 AM »
I quit going too. They have overpriced themselves for my part just to get in. After we get in it is mostly WAAAAAAYYYYY overpriced merchansise, retail +. No bargains any more. POWDERMAN.  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline BamBams

gun show promotors.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 09:23:28 AM »
Gun shows just aren't what they used to be years ago.  I quit going myself, and I believe that gun shows, in general, are dying a slow death.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

gun show promotors.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 10:08:16 AM »
I guess I am lucky yet here they cost anywhere from 3.50 to 5 dollars. One place charges 3 bucks to park the others are free. The last two shows I went to I bought a pistol scope at each show one for 30 bucks A Tasco 2.5x 30MM with the illuminated crosshair set up and the other for 27 bucks a Phantom Bushnell 2.5X Not really that happy with the Bushnell as it has a narrow field of veiw and it blacks out easy so is not that good for a scout scope but I guess for the money it is ok. Normally I look for reloading stuff and books and magizines as the guns ect are normally priced way to high but some times the accessories sell for a decent price. Some sales are a washout and some I find things so I still go. Something to do anyway. The local gun shop loves when a gun show is in the area as guys go to that then check out the local shop. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
gun show promotors.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 10:16:30 AM »
Folks there's a price to pay for entertainment and as long as you look at as such you can attend and feel good about the day.  If you're the type that thinks you're entitled to a bargain regardless, you're going to go home feeling you got ripped.  So go, enjoy looking around and listening to the BS or stay home complaining.  Either way there is a price to pay.

Offline Shorty

gun show promotors.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 01:58:17 PM »
'With you, Old Syko.  In Richmond, we have two regular shows.  They're each $7, usually for both days, and if you're a regular, you get a postcard worth $1 off.   One of them is junkier than the other, and both are full of horse traders looking for a mark, BUT I go for the learning experience and entertainment.  Usually I'm not even in the market for anything, and frequently I don't even come with money!

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
gun show promotors.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »
Quote from: magooch
The cost for the big shows in Portland Oregon have gotten too high, especially when you add in the parking fee.  About the only show that I will consider going to anymore is the ones that are at the fairgrounds in Vancouver, Washington.  I think it's still five bucks and the parking is free.

You're sure right about the Portland Expo show.  It's not worth it.  You might try the Longview, Washington show.  It's $5 at the door, and parking is free.  There's also the Centralia, Washington show, $3, with free parking.  Look out for the hot dog stand, though, they are pricey! :)

That's okay, there's a Skipper's not too far away.
NRA life member

Offline magooch

gun show promotors.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 04:11:21 AM »
Quote from: leverfan
Quote from: magooch

You're sure right about the Portland Expo show.  It's not worth it.  You might try the Longview, Washington show.  It's $5 at the door, and parking is free.  There's also the Centralia, Washington show, $3, with free parking.  Look out for the hot dog stand, though, they are pricey! :)

That's okay, there's a Skipper's not too far away.

I live right near Longview, so I'm aware of the show at the fairgrounds.  I have never gone to it because a friend of mine who goes to most of the shows, says that Longviews isn't even as good as the ones up at Centralia.  I used to go to those, but I don't think they're worth my time any more.  I'll probably just go to the one at Vancouver, maybe once a year.
Swingem

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
gun show promotors.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 11:40:46 AM »
magooch-

Since the new Longview expo building went up, the shows have improved.  They're still small, but there are more tables and a wider variety than before.  Horse trading skills are required at virtually all the shows, as the days of great bargains have slipped away.  Getting to know some of the guys that show at Longview and Centralia helps, it seems to be a little easier to get fair prices.  Some of the best deals are still found amongst the folks walking around the show with something to sell, of course.

I may have to check out one of the Vancouver shows.
NRA life member

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
gun show promotors.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 10:40:22 AM »
I went to a gun show last weekend.  $5 to park and $10 to get in.  That's a little steep.

Offline Glanceblamm

gun show promotors.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 03:37:33 PM »
Folks there's a price to pay for entertainment and as long as you look at as such you can attend and feel good about the day.

Agreed!
Yea, it can be abit pricey but even the utilitys can use up a fair amount of the monies.
The fellowship alone is great & worth the admittance. I dont like it very well when someone shoots a hole in the ceiling :eek: Yes, I have seen this happen but is another story.

Offline BamBams

gun show promotors.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 04:27:36 AM »
Quote from: winman
I went to a gun show last weekend.  $5 to park and $10 to get in.  That's a little steep.

Curious.  Did you happen to notice the price of a hot dog?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline LAREDOBOB

• Avid Poster
gun show promotors.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 06:13:21 AM »
What if Home Depot or Lowes charged you to go inside and look at their stuff. How long would they last? :D
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country."   T. Roosevelt

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
gun show promotors.
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 07:12:07 AM »
I'm willing to bet LAREDOBOB doesn't have a Sam's card. :lol:   Home Depot makes enough on the inside.  Most gun shows I go to I don't buy a thing.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Gun show promotors
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 07:51:42 AM »
For a couple of decades, a half dozen of us from the area have had a tradition of going to 6 or 8 shows a winter within a 150 mile radius of our location in West central Minnesota. The price of admission has been steadily increasing, but I find that a minor irritation. What bothers me, is the way variety has slipped. The shows are sadly lacking the old, interesting, and historical artifacts and weapons that were so prevalent until a couple of years ago. Where there used to be metric tons of things that I like to look at and deal on, there is now a vast assortment of paramilitary items, military weapons, black plastic auto loading handguns, and custom knives,knives,and more knives. The dealers are no longer fun to haggle with, but rather tend to get a little testy if you even try to dicker. A year ago I noticed that most of my favorite guys, who understood the necessity of pricing their items so they had room for horse trading and dickering, were absent. Even more of them are no longer present this winter. I have thought about it, and the reasons for this are apparent. THEY CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO BE THERE !  Several of them crossed two, three, or even four state lines to bring their displays to the shows. The vehicles required to move their mountain of merchandise aren't capable of economy, and with $2 plus fuel costs, lodging for two or three nights, eating out for three days, and near $100 per table fees given to show sponsors(many dealers have as many as 6 to 10 tables), etc., they just can't sell enough stuff to justify being there. They sure can't offer "bargains" anymore. GB is right right when he points out rising expense for promotors, but when you consider the large per table fee on a 700 table show, coupled with $5 to $15 admission fees and $2.50 coffee with a $5 hot dog, one gets the feeling they are gouging, just a little. As jh45gun points out, shows are a great place to purchase your reloading and gun care supplies, but even those dealers are becoming fewer.  I have come to the conclusion that Bam Bams and Glanceblamm have hit it right on the head when they say we may be witnessing the demise of the gun show.  The anti-s are winning the Gun Show issue by attrition, and the ball is in the sponsors court. It is up to the promotors to stop choking the goose that is laying the golden egg for them.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox