Author Topic: Beretta Mini Cougar  (Read 3856 times)

Offline A.J.S

• Trade Count: (0)
Beretta Mini Cougar
« on: February 13, 2003, 04:02:45 AM »
I have a 8040 mini and love it.  It shoots good and feels good. I would recomend it to anyone. Enjoy.

Offline Shootin' Carts Jimmy

• http://www.shootincarts.com
Beretta Mini Cougar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 07:46:50 AM »
Is there a difference between a Cougar and a Mini Cougar?  I have a Beratta Cougar 8040 and love it.  Now, if I could only find a decent holster for the thing.
Jimmy John Daniels,
SASS 38829
SBSS, Prayer Posse, et al.
Proprietor of Shootin' Carts !
http://www.shootincarts.com

Make sure the light you see at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train!  jjd

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Beretta Mini Cougar
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 03:23:11 AM »
Shootin.... I haven't quite figured out the model designations myself. I have seen guns listed as Mini Cougar with the full length grip and some with a shorter grip (which I think is the 9000). I am interested in the short grip which is an 8 round or a 10 round depending on what information you look at. Again it's confusing. Some seem to have a short mag that is supposed to be a 10 round and some have the same lendtg mag that is supposed to be an 8 round, then there is the issue of extended mags with finger grips. I've gotten dizzy just trying to figure it out. I know which one I want when I see it but I've seen them listed as at least 3 different models so apparently I'm not the only one confused.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline River runner

• Avid Poster
Beretta Mini Cougar
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 02:27:33 PM »
The only difference between the mini Cougar and the 8040 Cougar is the grip. The grip is much shorter, and supposedly easier to conceal, but they also have the extended magazine with the finger grip which brings it right back to the same configuration.

I've tried both and settled on the regular 8040 Cougar with the 10 round magazine. I have average size hands and the mini Cougar didn't seem right in my hand so I would have bought the extended mag, at an extra cost. Didn't make much sense to me.

I do like mine in the 40S&W, and after I mastered the long smooth trigger pull it grouped really nice. Got a little blister on the bottom pad of my trigger finger, but that hold and pull gave me the best groups. Beretta, makes some of the finest defense handguns in the world and I don't think you'd be disappointed. RR

Offline brianrull

Beretta Mini Cougar
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:51:34 AM »
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your 8040s?  I've got one and I can't get better than 6-8" groups at 15 yds (paper plate groups).  My trusty 92FS shoots 2-3" groups at the same distance.  Both are being shot seated off a sandbag rest, so shooting form should not be and issue.  I have tried Winchester 180 gr. FMJ and JHP.  Also some Winchester SXT law enforcement ammo a guy had at the range and the holes were all over the place.  

Does the extra 1" of barrel make that big of a difference or do I have a lemon? I bought the gun new in box and have shot less than 250 rounds through it.  Any suggestions?

Offline GeoNLR

• Contributor
I have a 8040f
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 03:33:44 AM »
I have a 8040f that says mini cougar on the side. I have 2 different type hags for it. 1- flush fitting 8 round (40s&w) and 1- extended grip 10 round. These are the perfect CCW pistols IMHO. I ran on to mine by dumb luck (picked it up used at a local shop for $370 in box) and I LOVE it. As far as range work goes, I find it verry accurate, for any length barrel.

Thanks,

Geo