Author Topic: 45acp-lead bullet loading help-  (Read 686 times)

Offline spispeza

• Trade Count: (0)
45acp-lead bullet loading help-
« on: March 17, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »
i mainly load rifle cartridges,never had problems,but i just started to load 45acp pistol rounds,im doing everything according to the instructions that come with the rcbs dies,they are carbide dies.the bullets are 185gr.swc,with 1 lube groove with a blue lube.i think im flaring the casings enough,brass is 1x fired from a ruger p97dc that im loading for.i always get the blue lube to be pushed up out of the cases?i do chamfer the casesinside&out.the bullets are 452 dia.but i get a bulge on the cases from the bullets where they are seated in the case,some chamber,some dont.any ideas.i have been loadingrifle cartridges for 18 years now.im puzzled,would appreciate any help?it would be very much appreciated.thanks.p.s.any suggestions on cast bullets that dont have the lube in the groove?

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:59:08 PM »
A bulge in the case where the bullet is, is normal.  You didn't mention which brand case you are using.  It's not perchance Amerc?   Amerc cases have thicker brass than others and always cause problems.

If the ones that don't chamber are not Amerc cases, than the next thing to check is the taper crimp.  I crimp so that the top of the case measure .470

Offline Castaway

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 12:57:30 AM »
One option on those cases with bulges is to remove the decapping pin on your sizing die and run the loaded cartridges through one more time

Offline KSR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:59:05 AM »
If you are seating the bullets too deep could cause your chambering and bulging
problem.
How good of a bell do you have on the case mouth? Lead bullets do
normally require a little more bell than jacketed bullets.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »
I switched to a Lyman M-Die for my flairing chores for lead bullets. It does a better job of getting the bases started square and seems to help with the shaving problem. It also helps get the bulge more even around the case. You may have to seat and crimp in two different operations also. If you are crimping at the same time as seating that may be where your getting the shaving from. IE it's closing the mouth before the bullet is fully seated.

Offline spispeza

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 11:59:15 AM »
thanks to all that replyed,yes the cases are amerc brand,i got these for 8.50 a box,had some stove pipe jams,failure to extract.i did also load some hornady 185 gr. xtps and had same problems as the lead bullets,tryed resizing the loaded rounds with the decapper removed,had one bullet come apart,from removing the crimp.i did try seating themseperate also,crimping seperate but it didnt work out.i think i will just scrap these,if i buy this brand of loaded ammo again i will just treat them as cci non-reloadable ammo.once again thanks to all that replied.very much appreciated