Author Topic: 10 gauge turkey update  (Read 923 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
10 gauge turkey update
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:03:25 AM »
Just got my kicks gobblin thunder and the results are very good at 25 yards but only 28 more holes at 45 yards in 8 by 12 paper. Still using federal and winchester 3 1/2 , 5 shot turkey loads. Do ya think I should try 6 shot or four shot or something else? Thanks all for the help and GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:18:43 AM »
presdme, I'm no turkey hunter (yet) but I have a lifetime of shooting behind me. Why not try a couple of #4's and a couple of #6's (I hear the hevishot in #6 is a real killer but I don't know if it's available in 10 gauge). Each gun is an entity unto it's own so just use what shoots the best out of your barrel and puts more pellets into the head/neck area. Good Luck, the answer is out there, just try a couple of different loads until you find the one that works for you!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Juette

10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 02:52:31 PM »
Each gun is unique, but I think the Winchester number 6's will be what you need.  They shot the best out of my NEF 10.  Also, the next time you shoot the target, start at the 45 yd range with the 6's.  I'm assuming that you give your gun a good cleaning after each shooting session.  Be sure that your bore is clean and bright before you have your next patterming session.

The forcing cone on most of the NEF's are rough and you get a lot of fouling and plastic buildup from the wads on to the forcing cone area, even after only a few shots. This can really hurt your patterns.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »
You cannot elongate the forcing cone by burnishing with 4/0 steel wool on a 1/4" or 3/8" wooden dowel in an elecric drill but you can sure polish it and smooth it out. Just follow the burnishing suggstions given on this site in an earlier post and have at it....it is supposed to really help with patterning and group POI....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 05:14:45 AM »
Update on turkey pattern, Just shot some 10 gauge remington heavy #5 shot . Results , not as tight at 25 yards as the win.supreme(but still plastered the target) but a total of 91 holes in 8x10 paper,but only 7 in kill zone at 45 yards. What do you think? should I look further at shells or just have a forcing cone done? THANKS ALL AND GOOD HUNTIN!!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 05:40:35 AM »
Try some #6's and some #4, before you do anything else. The forcing cone stands a good chance of helping but you can save the $ if a different size shot and perhaps a simple burnishing of the forcing cone and barrel worked. If the different sized shot and burnishing did not work you could still have the forcing cone lengthened with nothing lost. Of course if $ is not a problem why not go for the whole 9 yards, it may not be needed but what the heck....<><.... :grin:

Offline Juette

10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 05:43:36 AM »
Get some poster board or flip chart paper, where you can see where the densest area of your pattern is concentrated.  I'm getting better results than you at 45 yards, but I do use a scope to get the densest area of the pattern on the kill zone.

Have you burnished the barrel?  This will add to your pellet count, but only by a few at 45 yards.  Stick with the Winchester Supreme # 6's.  I shot everything through mine and they were the best by far.

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »
Hey all I kinda half heartedly burnish my barrel, so I am going to do it right this next time!! I went to gander mtn. and wall mart all I can find is 4 and 5 shot in any 10 ga shell , so I got some 4 in win. supreme. Gander said they can order some 6 if I want it, but I told them to wait and see how the 4 does. Tomorrow I am going to bang a few 4 shot and I will let you know how it turns out. Buy the way I am tapeing a 8x10 printed turkey target to a 16x20 piece of cardboard to get the full effect of the shot and I have a 42mm red dot mounted to the gun. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE ,KEEP IT COMIN PLEASE AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 02:38:50 PM »
My suggestion is have them order you that #6 shot, the pattern will be denser and you will never know how it shoots out of your gun until you try it...So ask them to order it and shoot it!!!! Good luck....<><.... :grin:

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 12:57:11 PM »
Hey all, here are some results with 10 ga. 24" barrel, kicks choke.
 16x20 cardboard with 8x10 target taped to it.

at 45 yards
federal 5 shot, 51 in 8x10 target :(
winchester 5 shot, 65 in 8x10 target
winchester 4 shot, 46 in 8x10 target
remington heavy 5 shot 86 in 8x10 target  :lol:

at 35 yards
winchester 5 shot 138 in 8x10 target :?
remington heavy 5 shot 138 in 8x10 target :?
winchester 4 shot 117 in 8x10 target

Next its on to 6 shot winchester supreme. I had to order them ,cant find them anywhere around here. Will I lose to much energy with 6 shot to take a 45 yard shot if needed?? Thanks all for the suggestions and keep them coming please and soon we will figure the best round for this gun I hope cause I am going broke!!! THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 02:59:33 PM »
presdme, from all the turkey hunters I know (I don't hunt turkeys, yet!!), the great majority like #6 shot...if I am correct they feel it gives them the most dense concentration of pellets for a good head/neck shot...although a couple do like #5 and some talk of a "combo" loading where one shell has 2 sizes of shot in it. I believe these are specifically made as turkey loads, in 12 gauge at least. As a matter of fact I think I have a box or 2 (5 rounds each) in the ammo locker in anticipation of going after a turkey some fine spring day!!!...<><.... :grin:

Offline ncmtnhillbilly

hows the recoil of the big ten?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 01:57:51 PM »
just curious if it kills on both ends, i have been eyeballing one for the spring?

God bless,
Bill
:shock:  :excuseme: Be vewy,vewy quiet, I`m huntin`Cwiminals!!

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 05:31:55 AM »
The kick aint to bad, about like a slug out of a rem 870.

Offline Broken Scope

10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 04:11:58 PM »
I can help you here . You need rays nitros in a 3oz load. Copper 4x5s in the slower load for the 24in barrel with kicks gives me in the 140s at a measured 40 yds,or #5s in the 150s. My 33in modified barrel gives me 180s with #4nickel,680 nonported hastings choke at 40yds. The long barrel does not like the ports, I tried kicks and rino on it and the hastings was better. Leave the cone alone until last result. It takes the 3oz loads to make the 10ga really shine but their not cheap. Just depends on how well you want it to shoot. By the way barrel length does make a difference in the 10ga. Got to go

Offline jeff223

10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »
broken scope
are you getting that ammo from RINO?i looked into their tubes and some of their ammo awhile back but i didnt go with them.to much money for my blood.they do have some impressive numbers when it comes to shotgun patterning

Offline Broken Scope

10 gauge turkey update
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 06:00:14 PM »
No I got the ammo from ray direct from his company. It is expensive but it is impressive. I would like to try his hevi shot also.