Author Topic: Spotting Scope  (Read 476 times)

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Spotting Scope
« on: March 24, 2005, 09:22:12 AM »
Would you gentlemen help me select a spotting scope? I want a scope for spotting bullet holes in a paper target at say, 250 yds. I'm using  45 cal and a 38 cal rifles presently. Field use for game is a nice idea, but far second for what I want. What power do you think would be suitable? What features would I look for, and which would be unecessary? I'd like to keep it simple.
 This is a new subject for me. Thank you.    Woodbutcher

Offline Simpleman

Spotting scope
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
Take a look at the Bushnell Discoverer 15-60X60 on the Optic Zone web site. It used to be made by Bausch&Lomb. Excelent scope for the price.

Offline wolfie6929

Spotting Scope
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:41:24 PM »
you can get a lot of feathers ruffled about brands,but what i will say is at 250 yrds you need the best glass you can afford that you will not regret,it is more important than just power cause if you can't get a good crisp image it will just be a big distorted mess. look for at least 60mm or more objective for good light, ED glass(fluoride)is great but not completely nessary but i did get mine with ED glass.good shooting to you

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Spotting Scope
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 03:33:17 AM »
wolfie6929 is correct. You're asking a LOT when you want to see bullet holes at 250 yards especailly those in the black. You need the best optics you can buy to be sure you can do that. I've looked thru a lot of spotting scopes and the only one I can promise you will be able to see those holes is the one I now use. Bushnell Elite 20-60x80mm. You need a large objective to give you enough light at the high magnifications to make them useable. Even with an 80mm objective 60X is useful mostly on bright days. Problem is mirage becomes a problem then.

So what you need is NOT high magnification but high quality lens with the best coatings. The Bushnell Elite line will deliver. I think the Leupold 12-40 will but haven't not looked thru one on the range only inside. The top of the line Eurpoean jobs will work I'm sure. Howa might, I heard it's top notch but have not seen one personally.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

Spotting Scope
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:04:02 AM »
Also, he can use those Sight'n'see stickers that, if a bullet goes through, they show an orange-red color which makes it very easy to see.

Zachary

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
spotting scope
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 01:45:49 AM »
Gentlemen, Thank you! I'm glad I asked for your advice, cause I knew that you would set me straight. Please let me briefly explain.
 A well known brand, 45 power, it was on clearance sale for $39.95. I thought "hey, what a deal, forty bucks and I'm set!" Ya got the picture, right? I don't know optics, but I do know that I don't know! So there I was, inside the store, the thing propped up on some display, ( the little tripod thingy was still packed ) trying to see eyelets on sneakers on the other side of the store. It was shakey, blurry, dim, and the clerk either knew less than me, or was enjoying how well I was doing at lookin foolish. Is the picture clearer?
 Your experienced advice, priceless! And greatly appreciated!   Woodbutcher