Author Topic: Wood, Or Synthetic  (Read 634 times)

Offline Greysky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
Wood, Or Synthetic
« on: March 23, 2005, 03:28:38 AM »
Which do you prefer?

Frankly, I prefer wood stocks. The stock on my .243 Handi is quite attractive with a unique grain pattern.

My wife said, "Those black ones are just plain ugly."  :)
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:53:34 AM »
Our wives must know each other!! Mine feels the same. But I have several "plastic" stocks and they serve well where weight is a factor or wet weather performance is needed. But I really perfer wood on my Handi's, especially the laminates and real walnut.
Good shooting..mt
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 04:02:02 AM »
In the past on two different rifles i bought the syn. stocks but i always went back to wood, i favor wood. I do think the syn. stocks  have a place in bad weather hunting like maybe up in Alaska. It also depends on which syn. stock you look at for example the so called syn. stocks you find on the Remington and Ruger rifles (some of them) to me are nothing more then plastic. Last year i was lucky enough to be given a H.S. Presision  long action varmint stock for a Remington 700 bolt action Now this stock i love and am going to build a rifle on this stock.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 09:16:51 PM »
I prefer the synthetic stocks.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:44:48 PM »
The Handi wood stocks are dog ugly.  It must be the shape of the pistol grip that does it.  However I like the shape of the synthetics and own two of them.  I also own two Handis with wood stocks.  

Maybe I just need to take a bandsaw to the wood pistol grips?  :eek:

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 02:46:56 PM »
I wish more companies would match there wood stocks with stainless barrels , they seem to always put stainless with syn. only.I dont like the bright stainless but do like the dull matte stainless barrels.

Offline jeff223

Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 02:55:20 PM »
i have both pallet wood and plastic stocks.i like both but i paint the pallet wood black to match the plastic

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Avid Poster
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 03:00:28 PM »
When i picked out my .223 I held both syn. and wood, and i didn't like the feel of the syn. so i bought the wood stock, all of my guns have the wood stocks, i like how my ultra slug hunter deluxe has the camo looking laminated stock, its kind of cool looking in my opinion...Mideerhunter
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Stocks
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 04:00:16 PM »
I love the synthetic stocks on my 30-06. If the rifles had the longer forearm like the 10ga
 and the Ultra-Slug instead of the curved one,I would like the wood on the rifles too. The stock on the Ultra-Slug
 I just got has the best looking grain and finish I've ever seen. I'll try to get some pics posted. :wink:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 04:05:28 PM »
Here's the best pallet wood stock I've even seen on an H&R...

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeff223

Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:56:21 PM »
you just got to love that pallet wood :)

that is a nice one you have there.i would spare that one from the Wally World black spay paint :-D

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Here's the best pallet wood stock I've even seen on an H&R...

My .243 Handi sports a similar, but not identical grain pattern. They are both pleasing to the eye.

What's this talk about "pallet wood" going around? I've never seen a NEF stock that didn't look halfway decent.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
What's this talk about "pallet wood" going around? I've never seen a NEF stock that didn't look halfway decent.

You really haven't seen how butt ugly some of the wood stocks are...most folks that get one like that...wind up trying to strip and restain it...or just paint them...now...I have had some real nice stocks for my Handi's...from my custom walnut stocked 25-06... from Gunstocks Inc...to my(opps..:oops: ...now Quickdtoo's) green laminated 30-06 Ultra-comp stocks. to the blond laminated stocks that I had on a  35 Whelen...and the cinnamon laminated ones I restocked a 308 Survivor with and those that came on my 25-06 Ultra origianlly....to my straight gripped red laminated set I now have on my 30-30... all darn nice looking stocks...I've sold or traded the ugly ones quickly...and don't care for the Survivor Choate stocks at all...I have seen the Monte Carlo Synthetic ones...they really aren't bad for the money...and just might pick up a new Handi in the next couple of weeks with a set on them...we'll see...I 'm not sure what the caliber will be...but I would like a stainless one...this time around...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Wood, Or Synthetic
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »
I've got my sights set on a stainless handi, myself....probably gonna be a 22-250... :wink: $240 at Walmart...

SS 22-250
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain