Author Topic: To Size or not To Size  (Read 506 times)

Offline Phil Tolson

• Trade Count: (0)
To Size or not To Size
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:28:32 PM »
This is my first attempt at finding a cast bullet that "fits" my gun and need a little help. I purchased a used Ruger Black Hawk in .30 Carbine and got a set of mold blocks and a sizer die as part of the deal. After reading everything on this forum I decided to slug my barrel and throats. Near as I can tell with my brand new micrometer I have the following measurements:

Throats are, >3092 .3094 .3094 .3091 .3099 .3098

Barrel is .308

Bullets as cast are .3095

I'm thinking I need to size the bullets to .309 in order to fit the smallest throat and this would still be .001 larger than the bore diameter which should make a good fit. Is this right or are the "as cast" close enough to use without sizing?

Offline joeb33050

To Size or not To Size
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 01:15:39 AM »
First, you should have no trouble shooting these bullets as cast-no sizing.
Second, after reading the title of your post, it occured to me that I have never, that's NEVER, improved accuracy by sizing a bullet, in many guns over 45 years. Never. I hadn't thought of this until I read that title.
joe b.

Offline Phil Tolson

To Size or not To Size
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 04:15:01 AM »
Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if that would work or not as the throats are a little smaller than the bullet diameter.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
To Size or not To Size
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 03:04:40 PM »
Those bullets will be sized a millisecond or so after the primer ignites anyhow, so if they'll chamber freely and drop into a fired case with no problem (likely) I'd leave them alone. BTW, that Lee "soup can" 115gr. flatnose gascheck bullet shot like gangbusters out of my old 30 carbine Blackhawk loaded over WC820 for full power or Unique to duplicate 32-20 loads.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."