Author Topic: Handgun and rifle insurance, what do you guys do.  (Read 1125 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Handgun and rifle insurance, what do you guys do.
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:38:59 AM »
I currently have 20 long guns and about 70 handguns.  (I know only a good start).  

My insurance company does not know of these at all and I should do something post hast.  

Anybody in a similar situation that can make recommendations?

Thanks,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline bgjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Handgun and rifle insurance, what do you gu
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 06:47:26 AM »
Get a BIG gunsafe. Forget about insurance.
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:50:10 AM »
I see you you belong to the NRA check with your homeowners how much you have covered than check with the NRA how much more you want to get NRA cheaper than adding on homeowners I know a little about it I had 22 stolen a couple years ago

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:43:55 AM »
Quote from: wild willy
I see you you belong to the NRA check with your homeowners how much you have covered than check with the NRA how much more you want to get NRA cheaper than adding on homeowners I know a little about it I had 22 stolen a couple years ago

Did you have a gunsafe?
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 11:02:32 AM »
I have a gun safe bolted to the floor behind a lock inside door and I have Big dogs and guns to insure them. :D  Has worked for me for over 20 years.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 12:10:19 PM »
Didn't have safe then have one now Security system too had dogs Beagle was in house I think they beat him never the same after Big dog was in    outside pen 160lb malamute timber wolf cross

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 12:43:15 PM »
Happyhunter :  The only thing the Insurance Co. can do for you is write a check, little satisfaction when a weapon is stolen that was passed down to you, at least with a safe you will still have your weapons and other valubles, get the largest safe you can afford as you will be using it for other valubles, and if you keep the same things in it that you keep in a bank safe deposit box its tax deductible, again get one larger than you think you will need as they fill up quick, and btw the number they advertise say to hold 30 guns thats without scopes, if your guns have scopes the number is alot less.  For what you spend on a ins. rider to cover your guns in 10 years will go along way on the cost of a safe. :D    JIM

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 02:02:33 PM »
Ive been there get insurance too. check with the NRA  a lot cheaper than a rider from homeowners Don't think somebody can't get in a safe might be hard but they can  the guy you buy your safe from knows how and so do other people

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I have a gun room that has a steel security door and a gun safe that is not capable of holding all my handguns.  Plus I have 20 rifles.  The inventory seems to increase all by it self the things just follow me home.

The insurance will help with the money end but you can not easily replace 80-90 year old smith and wessons.  What is worse is the hand me downs that have little value to anyone but my family, there is no insurance for these.

The NRA costs 1.67 per 100.00 of cost.  I will need to compare to another gun specialized company and my agent of 30 years.  This is something that I have been putting off too long.

Thanks again,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 04:26:25 PM »
A safe doesn't always work.

Had a Dr. friend that was a "gun collector".  He had fully automatic guns of all flavors not to mention "normal guns"  :wink:   He had someone break into his house and broke into one of his vaults!  They got away with over $20,000 worth of guns.

Knew another guy here locally that had a safe bolted through the hardwood and subfloor.  That safe was stolen whole.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 05:18:23 PM »
I don’t have insurance on my guns mainly because I don’t want someone to come appraise them as well as having an itemized list of what I own in anyone’s hands but mine. In my opinion keeping guns from getting stolen isn’t the biggest issue. I would think anyone could hide guns to the point where they could not be found. You could build a false wall in a closet or hid them in the attic in a false floor or wall. I’ve always felt the biggest risk was fire.

I went with a National Security Safe. National Security is the mother company of Liberty and has the best fire rating in the business. Place your safe against a brick exterior wall and you shouldn’t have to worry about fire. My particular safe weights 1250 pounds empty and took four people to place in my residence. It would literally take an act of congress to remove this thing from my property.

I think one of the best ways to prevent someone stealing guns is not to advertise you have them as well as not letting people know your cubby holes if that’s what you use. If you use a safe always keep it locked with the key as well as using the combination. Many people I know do not keep their safes fully locked because they look in their safe frequently and do not want to keep working the combination.

I also keep a running list of serial numbers locked up in my safe as well as having a list at my parent’s house.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Malamute

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 12:04:13 PM »
NRA members can get supplemental insurance for a very good rate. They do NOT require a list of things insured, or a number of guns,  only a total amount you want insured. Not having insurance on your guns can be a very expensive mistake.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 06:38:58 AM »
Before retiring, my wife was in the insurance business for 40 years.  Most of those years I carried replacement cost insurance on all my firearms.  Several years ago it got so costly I dropped it. ANd your home owners will only pay pennys on the dollar, rarely replacement value.

I bought two used military safes at an auction, I reworked the insides, one for handguns, the other for long guns, stored the high dollar guns in these safes and didn't look back.  The safes weigh (empty) 1275 pounds, I have them bolted to the cement floor with 6 1/2 inch bolts.  My other safe is and old double door fire proof office type safe.  It weighs about 900 pounds, it is also bolted to the floor. I also have three dogs on duty.  Two will bite, the female will join in after the two males get started.

I think it is important to not advertise the fact you own guns.  YOu should have a complete list of all guns, make, model and serial number recorded, take photos and records type, serial number on photos.  A copy of this should be maintained in a safe deposit box or with a trusted friend in case you have a loss by fire or storm.  And always either hire a house sitter or have someone come at random times to check your house if you plan to be gone for an extended period.  Keep tools and cutting torches in a separate area when possible.  The important thing is to take every precaution to not make it easy for a thief.  Usually, if someone breaks in you home, they want to get what they can and get out as quickly as possible.

Course I know I could be had like an individual in the Dallas area several years ago.  A winch truck pulled into his driveway, ran the cable out to the safe, pulled it through the wall, lifted it and drove away.  This was a really nice area of town, but nobody seen nothing.  I think I would remember a winch truck driving through my area with a safe swinging in a cable in the rear..........Hummmmm.

Offline sawfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 10:52:28 AM »
8) I agree with TScott on the National Security Safes.  One of the best fire resistant ratings in the industry.  However, when I bought mine, NS did not recommend that you lock the key lock (day lock) and the combination at the same time.  The reason-would be burglars have been known to use a large pipe wrench on the combination dial in the belief they can open the safe.  They cannot, but it compounds the problem of you reopening your own safe after they have departed.  The safe can be opened by a locksmith with instructions from NS, but the damaged dial makes it an expensive process.  Regards.
No such thing as too dead.

Offline mamerch

four things I did...
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 01:03:49 PM »
Bought the biggest Browning safe I could buy...
Rider on the homeowners insurance...
Take all guns to an appraiser...
Keep the appraisals, photo's of all guns (left and right), scopes and expensive extra's in the safe deposit box...

Only record of guns is in my hands.  Appraisor kept no records.  Insurance on charges for estimated value.

For what it's worth... Buy two smaller safes and bolt them in.  Mine is about 1200 pounds empty and is a big pain in the butt to move!!!  Should have bought two 600 pounders.

mamerch

Offline redd7

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »
Great topic that is of interest to many, It doesn't take to many years of accumulating to end up with $10K + in firearms. About 8 years ago i purchased a big safe and put it in my computer room. Last month I purchased a used gun cabinet that hold 12 long guns and put it in my bedroom. I personally find that if i cannot see my guns I can't enjoy them. I have found that to me fire arms are a work of art to be enjoyed. Am I at risk? Maybe. But I would rather enjoy my meager treasure and take the risk than have all the great guns of the world locked up and out of sight. Does anyone else feel this way?

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
my guns
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 05:09:41 PM »
I live where it would cost too much to ship a good gun safe and I have no place for one in my house.  

First I buy insurance through NRA.  Its not real cheap but cheaper than competing companies.  And they DON'T require appraisal or a lot of info beyond a general description of you more valuable pieces.  I've carried it for 20 years.

Once I had kids I got more concerned about them getting into them.  I turned the space under my stairs into a sorta gun safe.  finished the place with 5/8 sheet rock with well mudded joints and gaps. Installed metal locking racks from Midway then added cable locks through all trigger guards. All combination locks and several different combos. Then replaced the light door with a solid core door, dead bolt, key lock knob, and aluminum plate reinforced locking holes.  Also got some special hinge screw replacements that serve to lock the hinge plates.

Its not the best but I figure it will give some fire safety and quite a bit of safety from the kids getting into them - as long as they can't find the keys and don't know the combinations.  The ammo is all locked up in another room.  My powder is in a sheet rock lined wooden cabinet and locked.

Was cheaper than trying to ship a heavy safe to bush Alaska. I did look into an outfit in Iowa that makes gun safes that come in pieces to be assembled on site.  Still seemed like too much hassle but its an option.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 03:20:37 AM »
I have my gun insurance through State Farm. I think it costs 2.00 per hundred. I also have a gun safe. Most home owner policies only pay $1000 to $1500 on guns and jewelery. That wouldn't cover the bottom shelf in my gun safe.

Offline CB900F

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 04:47:07 AM »
Fella's;

I'm a locksmith & I sell safes, true safes, for a living. Most of the 'gunsafes' on the market today will not meet the U.L. standards for them to rate the container as a safe. If the sides of the unit, other than the door, are not at least 1/4" thick plate steel, the container, if rated at all, will be designated "Residential Security Container". Which is U.L.'s very polite way of saying 'tin box'. The door must also be at least 1/4" thick plate. Typical construction of an RSC is to make the 5 sides other than the door out of 10 to 16 guage sheet metal. Some actually have good doors, & that's what the salesman will try to sell you. He won't get too specific about the other 5 sides.

The idea that the floor of a container is thinner than the rest of the sides, is for the most part, simply not the case these days. Nobody with any good reputation has been making containers like that for decades. Not that I know every maker in the business however.

The burglary standard for an RSC is; (and as I'm at home I'm not quoting) must withstand a 5 minute attack using common household tools with no lever or implement longer than 18". Electrical motors are not allowed. See the comment on tin box.

I won't tell anybody how to enter an RSC, but I will say that juvenile males above the age of 12 have been known to do so without much trouble.

A typical RSC fire rating is 1200 degrees f, for 30 minutes. That is totally inadequate to protect against a fully involved housefire such as told of above. The salesman will usually tell the prospective customer that 1200/30 is great because the average home fire is 1200 f. ie, "Your protected"! Not so. Because average includes the rag in the garage, the wastebasket fire, & the popcorn oil in the kitchen fire. All of which the homeowner will typically put out in seconds. When the frame of the house burns, the fire is known as fully involved. That kind of fire can & will produce 1600 to 2000 degree f or more temperatures. Don't believe me, go check with your own fire dept.

RSC will typically use a testing procedure that places the container in the test furnace at ambient lab temp. As soon as the heat cycle begins, so does the 30 minute timer. The temperature is brought up to 1200 f & held there till the end of the 30 minute period. A transponder in the container is monitored during the entire heat cycle. At no time can the internal temperature of the safe exceed 350 f for the test period. At the end of the test period, the gas is shut off & a hot box is hauled out of the furnace on it's dolly.

Let's take a look at that kind of test procedure. There is no national standard set by law that governs how this is done. So, games can be played with the rise time to temp. The container being tested may not be upright in the furnace, etc. I don't know of any containers advertising 1200/30 that aren't at least 340 f internal temp at the the end of the 30 minute cycle. But hey, if it goes 30 minutes & 2 seconds before it breaks 350 f, it's a pass.

Almost all of these cans use gypsum wall board as their insulating material. Take the paper off it & call it 'fire rock', it's common wallboard sheet rock by any name. The stuff is a good flame barrier, but simply does not have the mass to be a good heat sink.

The U.L. test procedure is a totally different story. The safe goes into the furnace at lab ambient & the temp is brought up to 1750 f, before the 1 hour test cycle starts. At the end of the hour, every second spent at 1750 f, the internal temp of a safe meeting the U.L. standard will usually be in the 270 to 280 f range. Then the gas is shut off, but the safe remains in the furnace & cools back down to laboratory ambient continuing to be monitored for internal temp., which still cannot exceed 350 f, in order to pass. This is about a 500% tougher test to pass than 1200/30.

Or, if you open an RSC after a home fire & the wood of your stocks is charred & the aluminum scope tubes are warped, what did you save?

Yes, good protection costs more money, about the same cost as two quality long guns, or $3,000.00 for a 60" tall, 12 slot capacity safe. If you're planning on storing 20 firearms in a $600.00 container do a gut check with yourself. Average cost of gun, $500.00 X 20 = $10,000.00. Check with insurance agent as to how much is covered under your basic policy. Do you want to give out all S/N's of your guns? Do you want to pay a sizeable extra premium for the firearms rider - every 6 months? How much can you affored to pay over the long term for insurance, or how much can you afford to lose?

And I would wish a Liberty on my worst enemy, because I REALLY don't like the S.O.B.

900F
Trying to eat chili without drinking beer is like trying to breathe without using air.

Offline alamogunr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 02:28:29 PM »
Well!  Three months after spending $2000+ on a Heritage safe, I find that I wasted my money.  I shouldn't have looked for a gun safe.  I should have asked a professional to supply something for $3000+ installation, which could run several hundred $.  As it is I have a $2000 tin can.  I guess all I can do now is insure with NRA and hope some hopped up teenager with a borrowed tow truck doesn't pay a visit. :oops:

Offline RadioTech

Found out the hard way...
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 06:23:33 AM »
Homeowners has $1000 limit on 1)Currency, 2)Jewelry, 3)Firearms unless you have seperate coverage with rider policies.
Had the front door kicked in and guns, DVD players stolen.
Insurance rates went up 15% for next 3 years just for filing the claim.
Got $1700 for over $5000 worth of guns.
NRA paid another $1000 after the insurance claim paid.
NRA is the way to go.  No gun list or serial numbers.
Just claim a specific amount and that is what you get for a loss.
Deactivated at member's request.

Offline spispeza

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 02:07:26 PM »
very good thread.anybody make their own safes out of heavy gauge metal?i have thought about making my own.but would like to see some plans,types of locks,welds,thickness,type of steel, etc..to put together a safe.i dont own too many guns,but would like to have one .that i could put other non gun related valuable items into.i have a extra room that is about the size of a single typical motel room?that i use as a hobby room?in the basement.thiefs could spend a few hours in my house.before i get home from work.(10hrs)thanks