Author Topic: 204 finally goes to the range.  (Read 586 times)

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
204 finally goes to the range.
« on: March 27, 2005, 04:10:15 AM »
Over all score sweeter than the easter candy the boys are looking for now (they will sure be wire for Sunday school today ).

Accuracy
Factory
Hornady 32 gr 4 in 5/8 the 5th to just over an inch

Handload
32 over 29 gr H4895 (max in manual) -  too hot, accuracy sucks, action opens on firing, primers flattening.

Modifications - none I wanted a baseline

Trigger - good enough not to need a rework too soon

Extractor - Stuck cases are eliminated  :-D , I suspect it is a mixed blessing, the case will be hard to grab with gloves on.  But all in all an improvement.  

Not that there was a lot or recoil but there was more than I was expecting, not a bad thing but just an observation.

At  this point I am looking for another powder to try any suggestions?
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 08:56:39 AM »
According to my calculations the above load generates 71024psi with a case volume of 30.96gr of water and a 32gr Hornady V-max.
Yes I know what the Hodgdon data says, according to them you are loading a max load.

Cases vary in weight hence they have different interior volumes. Brass is 8.6 x heavier than water. One grain of water volume can change powder combustion considerable in these small cases.

One grain of H4895 in that case and bore will nearly generate 10000psi
from 28-29gr. Little cases are sensitive to 1/10gr.

And no I will not supply loading data, I am just sending a note.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 09:03:58 AM »
Mitchell's got a great shooting 204 using Bl-c2...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59248
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 09:23:39 AM »
Yes BL-C2 is better suited for this case with its slower Ba factor.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 10:48:09 AM »
I have to admit the pressure signs caught me off guard, because it was the second lowest published pressure on the Hodgdon site.  I have used H4895 with good results in 223 so I thought it would be a good start.

I'll give Bl-c a try, and even though components are in short supply I'll work up a load properly next time.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 11:40:04 AM »
I've been tempted to add a .204 Ruger barrel to my .223. I can resist anything.....except temptation.
Maybe I'll do it when 204 brass becomes available. :D
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »
There is nothing wrong with H4895 but the amount you use.
The load that Mitch is using is as hot as a firecracker too at 70K. Of course my calculations are based on a published case volume and the calculations can have as much variation as that from gun to gun or case to case.

You guys have to start at least 10% below max values and work up. This cartridge is supposed to operate at SAAMI 58.5K with a 5% upward pressure variation. That makes the total about 60-61K. With the 204 kind of expansion ratio one grain of powder will send the pressure through the roof and a 1/2 grain will make it marginal.

For a small psi benefit make the OAL as long as possible with a good hold on the bullet.

I think it is very poor judgement to use other peoples loads and Mitch said so in so many words. They are ok for an idea but not for you to use them.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Donaldo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 03:13:50 PM »
Freds right on this.  On these small cases, 223, 204, etc, even a 1/2 grain jump at a time when working up loads is too much.  I have found that 2/10's grain is just about right.  I found a load for my 223 handi that when you went 2/10 either side of it, it opened the groups to 1/5 inches plus.  But at the sweet spot it was doing well under 1 inch.  That is until I made another change to the forend and had to start over.  But by going 2/10 grain at a time, I found another sweet spot that I might have missed by going 1/2 grain at a time.  These small cases are very sensitive to load density and powders.
Luke 11:21