Author Topic: Bore-ing situation  (Read 532 times)

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Bore-ing situation
« on: March 25, 2005, 06:12:50 AM »
Hey what's the deal on handi barrels turning up black pad after pad when cleaning. After 5 now I just quit, run a little oil, clean patch, and that's it.
My other rifles clean up real quick compared to NEF. Frankly, I don't care
as no corrosion, or loss of accuracy. I guess this is the difference between chrome moly and what is used at NEF!

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Bore-ing situation
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 05:55:58 AM »
I quess I havn't noticed that in my handi's
shot placement is everything.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Bore-ing situation
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 06:23:15 AM »
mine either...

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Bore-ing situation
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 06:46:45 AM »
A-lot has to do with what bullets your shooting out of it and what your cleaning it with.If the gun  is new...then your getting crud from the factory..if not...then your getting crud from yours or someone elses shooting...When I shoot Winchesters Black ballistic silver tip bullets from their Supreme line...it takes a-lot to get all of the black coating out of the barrel.I tried some Gun Slick foaming cleaner...works great no smell...and I got a-lot of the moly coating residue even after using that with a bore brush..but I still patch it till dry ...then oil it...and patch it again...and I still get a small amount of black out of it...if your accuracy isn't getting worse...I wouldn't worry too much about it...some of our Handi's shoot better when fouled anyway...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Bore-ing situation
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 07:08:05 AM »
I don't know if this applies in this situation, but at RFC there are lots of reports of black patches coming out of CZ452 17hmr rifles.  CZ states this is from bluing that enters the bore during the bluing process. Don't know if it applied to H&R barrels. FWIW, I've never got black patches out of mine, except when I polish the bores with JB Bore compound, then I get lots of real dark, almost black residue.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Bore-ing situation
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:46:05 PM »
Mac.
Don't know what this black coating on Win. bullets is. It is an anti friction coating like Moly. The idea is to coat the barrel and leave it there, your are not to clean down to bare metal. It is supposed to be non corrosive.
Copper fouling on top of the coating should be removed if it is excessive.
A light copper wash wont hurt and Kroil will penetrate it.

I moly coat all my bullets and only clean out the carbon and the crud. Batches after cleaning will come out gray. I then follow up with a mix of Kroil and Shooters choice 25/75 when I store the gun away. It leaves a protective film.

When you leave a film of the bullet coating in your barrel, you need not to recondition the barrel again and one or two fowling shots will establish previous point of impact. This is the way it works with Moly.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.