Author Topic: Do it yourself WY antelope?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Matt in AK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Do it yourself WY antelope?
« on: February 11, 2005, 10:33:19 AM »
Howdy Gents,

Here's the scoop.  MY dad, brother-in-law, and I are planning a hunt this Fall.  I've been hunting a while and shot a few big game critters.  Dad's got an antelope doe under his belt.  Brother-in-law has never been hunting but is a fine shot.  Bro-in-law and dad live in Colorado.  We're leaning toward a do-it-yourself antelope hunt in Wyoming.  Tags are fairly easy to draw...though we need to get the applications in soon.  Success rates are high.  We're willing to put a full week in the field and dad and brother-in-law can do some scouting ahead of time.

- What hunting areas would you recommend?
- Any particular areas you'd avoid?
- Suggestions?  Dad and I took our antelope years ago on private land.

Thanks Folks.

Matt
Isaiah 6:8

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
Do it yourself Wyoming Pronghorn
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:18:11 AM »
My son and I hunted pronghorn for the first time this past October.  We did a do-it-yourself hunt and were successful.  If you are looking for big horns, my advice may be unsuitable for you and you may be better advised consulting others more knowledgeable on that topic.  Generally, the units which have antelope with big horns have low drawing odds.  Additionally, setting out to bag an antelope with big horns seems to be a high cost activity, as outfitters often lease the lands holding the big pronghorns, and the hunter desiring a big head must pay high fees to hunt with these outfitters.

Unit 24 and 23 near Gillette offer high drawing chances and lots of animals.  These units also offer lots of public land, though you may need to contend with large numbers of hunters on this public land.  One possible public land strategy is to avoid opening day and weekend hunting, instead hunting two weeks after the opener and during mid-week.  You can get a list of land owners who will let you hunt their lands for a modest trespass fee by calling the Buffalo office of the Wyoming Fish and Game department.  Call up landowners in your preferred unit and find out their terms.  There is quite a bit of difference in the structure of the deals.  My son and I hunted on a 1280 acre ranch about 10 minutes from our Gillette hotel.  $125/gun for two days -- no other hunters on the property at the same time.  My son took a buck with 13.5" horns; I took a doe because I felt rushed to take my animal, because I had other interfering plans.

Other units may also suffice.  Look on the Wyoming Fish and Game site for draw statistics for all units.  Consider land accessibility and animal populations in considering other units.

Pronghorn hunting is great.  The meat is good, if you take care of it properly (get it skinned, quartered, and on ice promptly -- maybe within four hours or less).  The hunting is not physically challenging, as the elevation is generally below 6,000' and the grades are not steep.  The success rates are very high.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 11:31:21 AM »
:D alsatian offers good advice. The areas know for big horns are hard to draw. Also the areas that are mostly public land can be hard to draw. Contact game biologists or wardens in the area you want to hunt. They can tell you some things like antelope numbers, size, and access. The Casper area is easy to draw and a bit cheaper than the Gillete area but quality seems less. Look at the walk in areas too. It's not usually difficult to get an antelope, it's difficult to find a big one.
The area offices can help you contact biologists and wardens, for example the Buffalo office or the Casper office.

Offline Gusman14

10 years of success with Antelope in Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 07:08:48 PM »
Well since I have left Wyoming and moved to Utah, I guess I can tell of my antelope honey hole.  The area I am talking about is Area 46 which is located half way between Laramie and Rawlins.  There is alot of public land and several walk in areas also.  I have been hunting there sine 1993 and have always tagged a goat.  I even have a few that are wall hangers.  2004 was my last year of hunting as a resident of Wyoming but I will continue to hunt that area as a non-resident.  I figure once every five years should keep me happy.  There are several areas to camp there and even the Virginian Hotel in Medicine Bow if you are into the easy life.

The one disadvantage of this area is the wind.  This area is the windiest area in Wyoming which is pretty obvious when you see the huge windmill farms at work.  If anyone is interested in further information on this area or about pronghorn antelope hunting, feel free to contact me and I will tell you all that I know.  

If you go up to scout this area, ensure you bring a good varmint rifle as this area is crawling with coyotes, prairie dogs, and jack rabbits.

Good Luck on a Wyoming Antelope Hunt!

The Gusman :jeep:
Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90)

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »
The largest antelope herds in America are around  Casper.  Anywhere in Eastern Wyoming is great.  I have seen my friends take huge antelope out of the Rawlins area also.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Thanks Guys
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 02:26:31 AM »
Thanks for all the advice fellas.

Looks like we're gonna put in for area 46 and see what happens.  Gotta be honest, I'm lookin' forward to the coffee, campfires, and whiskey as much as any hunting.  #1 goal will be to see if we can get my brother-in-law his first critter.

Offline Gusman14

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 06:23:21 PM »
Here is my 2002 Area 46 buck.  Can't get my hands completely around the base of his antlers.

Gusman
:jeep:
Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90)

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Nice
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 02:02:20 AM »
Gusman,

That is a stunning mount.  They are truly unique critters.

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Area 26
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »
Okay.  Found out my brother-in-law's friend has a ranch in Area 26 and, though we'll still pay a reasonable trespass fee, we'll have 26,000 acres to hunt.  The aplications are now in the mail.  Any suggestions on taxidermists in Casper, Douglas, Glenrock, or elsewhere near Area 26?  Meat processors near there?

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 02:00:49 PM »
I have hunted Antelope from the Keyhole lake area south to Lusk. Get a hold of the chambers, as they hold rancher hunter meetings. Usually a dinner. Last time in Lusk they had one. Gives you trespass rights, oh yes they charge to hunt this game animal they hate. Antelope in Wyoming are many, the larger ones will be out there +250 yds and probably moving ( can hit 35+mph).
Jim

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
When to hunt antelope
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 06:03:32 AM »
You have gotten some good advice. I hunt in South Dakota, opening day is a bust just to many hunters. I wait until everyone else has gone back to work then go. It's hard to have much more fun than a spot and stalk hunt.

The advice regarding skinning quartering and ice is on the mark. After the kill, I skin it on the gound and them proceed to quarter and bone it out. I then pack the meat and skin back to the truck and put it on ice. Normally I have the meat on ice in less than 6 hours.

I use an aluminum pack frame to hunt with. It carries all my gear and doubles as a shooting rest and "blind". Remember you can have heavy frost in the morning and be 75 degrees by 9:00.

longwalker

Offline vahunter

antelope
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 12:42:35 PM »
I can highly rec. a taxidermist in Glenrock--Larry Baughman.  Did a 5x5 mule deer (12 pt. eastern count) and a 14-inch antelope for me a couple of years ago.  Shipped them to east coast--immaculate work.  Many can do a deer--get somebody out there to do an antelope.  Local taxidermist's website lists price for "anteloupe"--pretty sure I don't want to see that.