Author Topic: Accuracy  (Read 1087 times)

Offline devolve

• Trade Count: (0)
Accuracy
« on: March 27, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »
I am thinking of buying the ultra varmit rifle in .243 with the heavy barrel. This would be a back up and for my wife to shoot. She is afraid of my ruger .270. My question is, Are these rifles really that acurate? I plan on putting a simmons 3-9x44 on it and she will never shoot it pass 100 yards. It seems like to good a deal for the price.

Thanks...

--cjc--
I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!

Offline JPH45

Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 04:35:40 PM »
I'm sure some other 243 shooters will chime in. I have 5 NEF's, and all of them with shoot 2 inches or less at 100, I have a 357 Maximum, a 44 Magnum, a 30-30, a 38-55, a 45-70. A friend of mine has a 243 with the synthetic stock and shoots really good, though I've not shot it past 50 yards. It sounds as though the primary purpose of htis rifle is to plink and deer hunt. A Handi is all the rifle she will ever want for that task, but they are sensitive to being held the same every shot. If she will shoot it enough to be consistant with it, she'll do fine. Just be sure the scope is mounted so that the rifle is not canted to make the verticl cross hair vertical and it will be good to go.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Accuracy
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 04:59:08 PM »
My 243 Handi will shoot 2 inches or better with several different loads including the 100 grain Corlokt.
shot placement is everything.

Offline devolve

Accuracy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 12:47:35 AM »
Thanks for the info. It looks like this is my next rifle!!

--cjc--
I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Accuracy
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 04:36:19 AM »
devolve:

I'm very curious about the 24" bull barrel 243 as well..and how it groups with the heavier weight bullets...like the 85 and  100 grain partition's  and Speers Grand Slams...you don't here a-lot about them or of folks trying to get them to shoot in the Heavy barrel....

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline borg1

• Contributor
Accuracy
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:03:53 AM »
My .270 shot 1.5 to 2 inch groups with most ammo.

My .223 barrel shot about same with factory loads of 55gr.  It shoots MOA on average with 40gr Sierra HPs.

If you reload and follow the accurizing tips talked about in this disc room, you might do MOA.

Offline zapper223

.243 accuracy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:20:05 AM »
I bought my x-wife a youth model .243 standard barrel and it would shoot 1 1/2" - 2 " groups @ 100 yds. with 100 grain corelokt . She was about 5-4" and 100 lbs. and hadn't any experience with shooting , she had no problem with the recoil once she got used to shooting . Very good rifle I have several handi's and an ultra or two and you cant go wrong .
                  Good-Luck,
                       zapper    :D
U.S. Navy SubForce,Stonewall Jackson,SSBN 634. 1991-1997    
                                The day I quit learning will be my last day on this earth

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Accuracy
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:51:30 AM »
I am curious like Mac. I wonder how the results are from the 22" bull versus the 24" bull.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Accuracy
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 04:06:58 AM »
Richard.
A 24" barrel may simply be more accurate with the 100gr bullets by the simple fact that is has 80-100 ft more velocity than a 22" or shorter barrel. and that could over come a marginal stabilized bullet. The fact that some H&R barrels are oversized would reduce the velocity even further.

Many 243 Handi users have quoted that 85gr bullet shoot the best in their rifle. This not not to say that an 85gr bullet is better than 100gr but simply the 100gr bullet is not sufficient stabilized. 125% stabilization is about minimum for good accuracy and cutting down on powder, what most Handi's like, is counter productive for the longer bullets.

The length of the bullet and the velocity are the critical factors in stability, hence accuracy. All Barnes bullets with a much lower density of solid copper, like 2/3 of a regular bullet, require more twist or higher velocity.
The good performance of the 85gr Barnes is a good indicater.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Accuracy
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 04:22:51 AM »
Can't comment on accuracy or performance of the rifle, but I just bought my wife an Ultra Varmit in 243 to deer hunt with. She loves the way it looks and feels.

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Accuracy
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 11:03:57 AM »
I've shot all factory loads through my ultra,,cause I don't reload,,and they all group to an area that would be a kill on most game animals. But,,I am also thinking that this gun will never be a tack driver as I had hoped. Maybe we all need to reload to do that,,but I just don't shoot the 243 enough to make it economical.
The ammo I liked best.......Hornady 75gr hp...58gr vmax.  The 100 gr Win sp didn't do bad,,,like I said it would kill,,,and I didn't adjust my scope to make it group better since that's not the ammo of choice for me.  The Cabelas bulk 75gr vmax isn't bad either for the cost...but it groups 4/5 inches. Also some 80gr sp by PMC shot okay.
Great looking gun........heavy on the shoulder when walking,,,I've got a 8-32x50 Swift Premier on mine so that adds a bit of weight too.
Hope this helps.

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
Accuracy
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 06:57:12 PM »
243tom: you say you are dissapointed in your 4-5 inch group and you should be I bought a 243 suprlight and thats what I got out of it, about 4" groups I faught it for a couple of weeks tried evry trick I could gleen from this forum and finally gave up and sent it back to NEF for repair. You should get 1-1.5" out of it dont settle for less, if youve eliminated all other problems and done the simple tricks.

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Accuracy
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »
nofun 1,,,,that 4/5 inch group was with the bulk ammo,,the 75gr vmax from Cabelas. Like I said,,the stuff the gun liked best was Hornady 75gr hp...I've shot some inch groups with that...and will likely go with that exclusivly once all the other ammo is shot.
I don't know that the gun or my shooting ability will ever be a consistant  tack driving status? But it's fun trying.