Author Topic: Lead Shot as a Source  (Read 449 times)

Offline Moe Skeeter

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead Shot as a Source
« on: April 28, 2005, 06:22:16 PM »
Hey guys!

I'm new here, and just getting into casting my own lead for my muzzleloaders.  In the never ending quest for sources of lead, my gun shop sells bulk lead shot (6 & 7 1/2).  Is this acceptable to melt down and mold into balls?  I've got some other lead at the moment to get me started, it's just hard to find a steady source.  So, if shot would work it would make my like alot easier.  Thanks in advance.   :D

Regards,
Moe Skeeter

Offline John Traveler1

• Contributor
lead shot
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »
Skeeter,

"Chilled" lead shot contains antimony to harden it.  As melted, it would be a bit harder than what is best for muzzleloaders.

Try melting the shot, NOT fluxing it, and let it sit for a couple hours as a melt.  The antimony tends to float to the top, and after skimming off most of the antimony, it should be soft enough for muzzleload bullets.  this will require several stages of melting to remove as much antimony as possible.

The same thing can be done to wheel weights, but it's more difficult to seperate the tin and antimony.  It can be done, but requires more melting and skimming off.

HTH
John

Offline Moe Skeeter

Lead Shot as a Source
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 04:23:36 AM »
John,

Thanks for the help.  The extra work doesn't bother me as long as it is a potential supply.  Even in rural Michigan we are starting to feel the price affects on lead.  I can get a 25lb. bag of shot for $17.  I was just thinking if this would work.  Thanks for the reply it was very helpful.

Regards,
Moe Skeeter