Author Topic: I admit it I'm a Handiholic I need the 12 shot program-HELP!  (Read 661 times)

Offline nofun1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I admit it I'm a Handiholic I need the 12 shot program-HELP!
« on: March 30, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »
I have officially joined the ranks of the Handi Obsessed. Here's my story. I bought a 243 superlight and have been having fits with it, so after 3 weeks of obsessing over it and numerous posts and calls to H&R. I get up this morning. its 26 degrees and 20 mile an hour wind I decide I need to get this resolved so I can get on with my life. I call in sick and head for the hill, before I get there it starts to snow like *** so i decide to try shooting out of my car with a window sandbag. (commonly used here in Montana) since I'm really squinting to see my target through the snow, I scope myself since I have no rubbber on my scope,it really lays my nose open. but since the snow is letting up I decide to setup my table while I wait for the bleeding to stop.  I get out my lead sled and start shooting, but this darn thing still wont group better tan 2.5". So I get home and instead of getting my nose fixed up I get on the phone to NEF. to bitch about my gun. Than after 4 butterflies. I write this post . to give me time to come up with a reason to give my wife for my injury when I should be working. But I am thinking about going to the gun shop instead to trade it on a different Handi. I definitely have a problem. I need intervention.You guys can help in one of the following ways.
1 first and foremost help me find the accuracy secret of this gun
2 Help me come up with a beleiveable story for my wife.
3 give me some good handloads for this thing.

But on the positive yesterday when I should have been working, I went ground squirrel hunting. There is nothing that soothes the soul like the pink  splatter of squirrels on snow it was so obvious that  the crows were coming to get some and 3 got to close. My heavy barrel 223 handi and my dog are the only two things in life that haven't let me down, and my handi hasn't ever crapped on my carpet.

Can you feel my pain?????

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
I admit it I'm a Handiholic I need the 12 s
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 10:53:33 AM »
duno about the acuracy but you could tell your wife you got in a fight with a big scope lol dont now how to help ya. sorry.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 12:01:44 PM »
You are lost as the rest of us. Get the wife hooked also maybe that will help. :wink:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline bang_off

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »
Your fellow Hand holics here on GBO can probably help you out with points 1 and 3.

As for point 2 I'm afraid you are up the creek. From experience I've found that our better halves are a superior life form in this regard and we are  stumbling around in the dark, lol. Good luck!!!  :-D
Australia

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: I admit it I'm a Handiholic I need the 12 shot program-H
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:05:38 PM »
Quote from: nofun1
I have officially joined the ranks of the Handi Obsessed. Here's my story. I bought a 243 superlight and have been having fits with it, so after 3 weeks of obsessing over it and numerous posts and calls to H&R. I get up this morning. its 26 degrees and 20 mile an hour wind I decide I need to get this resolved so I can get on with my life. I call in sick and head for the hill, before I get there it starts to snow like *** so i decide to try shooting out of my car with a window sandbag. (commonly used here in Montana) since I'm really squinting to see my target through the snow, I scope myself since I have no rubbber on my scope,it really lays my nose open. but since the snow is letting up I decide to setup my table while I wait for the bleeding to stop.  I get out my lead sled and start shooting, but this darn thing still wont group better tan 2.5". So I get home and instead of getting my nose fixed up I get on the phone to NEF. to bitch about my gun. Than after 4 butterflies. I write this post . to give me time to come up with a reason to give my wife for my injury when I should be working. But I am thinking about going to the gun shop instead to trade it on a different Handi. I definitely have a problem. I need intervention.You guys can help in one of the following ways.
1 first and foremost help me find the accuracy secret of this gun
2 Help me come up with a beleiveable story for my wife.
3 give me some good handloads for this thing.

But on the positive yesterday when I should have been working, I went ground squirrel hunting. There is nothing that soothes the soul like the pink  splatter of squirrels on snow it was so obvious that  the crows were coming to get some and 3 got to close. My heavy barrel 223 handi and my dog are the only two things in life that haven't let me down, and my handi hasn't ever crapped on my carpet.

Can you feel my pain?????

1)...Finding an accuracy load for a Super Light isn't a easy thing to do...sometimes...you will get one that will flat refuse to co-operate with ya...and it will get real frustrating...so...try this...seat the bullets to the recommended OAL and don't try to load like you would for a bolt action...pick a powder that has the highest loading density(amount of powder in the case)..and use a regular primer with it...remove the rubber o-ring...and bed the barrel to the stock with acraglass...and finnally...I tried a so-called gizmo on my 270 Winchester bolt gun...it's made by the same folks who make the LimbSaver recoil pads...it's called a de-resonator...I haven't tried it on my Handi's yet...but it really did work on my 270...I posted on this on the Bolt Action forum...here's the link...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59342

I won't say it will work for you...but my groups improved dramaticly on my rifle...if it works for you...then so-much the better...and if it does work...it will pay for it self in one range session...

2)...I'll give the the best story to tell your wife...." Honey...I skipped work to go shooting....Look what that *** rifle and scope did to me.....this **** rifle is driving me nuts...and I will get it to shoot or I'm going to have to get another one and new scope to take it's place...You don't want me to get hurt again do ya???"...your being truthfull to the Lady you love...and your letting her know about your next purchases ahead of time...so you don't have to lie about it...This way...she'll be so mad at you for skipping work...she won't remember you told her... :)

3)....55grain CT Ballistic Tip( I just love these types of coated bullets in the 25-06...270...and the 30-06...)

From the Nosler 5th edition  Case...Winchester...primer Rem 9-1/2... OAL  2.710"

H 414(most accurate powder tested).....48.5gr..3684fps...90% load density....50.5grains...3833fps...94% load density...52.5 grains(most accurate load) 3982fps...97% load density...

H380...49.0 grains...3783fps...91% load density...51.0grains...3926fps...95% load density...53.0 grains(most accurate load) 4069fps...98% load density...

Let me know if you want their other bullet weights...and if you elect to shoot these bullets...get a good foaming bore cleaner like GunSlick...follow the directions...and try them from a totally clean bore...and don't mix shooting the coated bullets with the non-coated ones...your groups will suffer when you do...also...if you are having to "crawl" the stock to use the scope...might I suggest a non-critical eye relief scope...like a Leupold VX-1 or at least something with a longer eye relief on it...it will only aid you in your situation...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 06:49:16 AM »
well one thing i didn't see that would help us a lot (this referring to point one) is what bullet weight you where using??? from what i have heard(i've not owned a handi in 243) most handi's like bullets of about 85/87 grains. now i don't know what you want to hunt with this but if its varmints or targets a bullet i highly recommend is the 87gr hornady V-max .i had mauser last fall that would shoot all bullets in the same whole with it(87gn V-max) and i think about 37.0 grains of varget , but don't quote me i don't remember. you also may want to try that plunger looking thing mac was talking about. and last but not least 2.5 is not that bad for the first time out with a gun . your barrel is going to need to be broken in this could take a bit . you may what to try the tubb fire lapping kit  i've used it one three guns and it has really helped all of them.

oh and as for point two .............................um..................i don't know but let me know what you tell her caz i sounds like a good one :-D  :-D (i kind of like not being married yet, i just tell myself the truth)

point 3 : VARGET!!!!!!!!! it rocks in most 243 i've heard of and it did great in mine. and like i said some where around 80-90 grain bullets stick with the good stuff nosler sierra hornady . for kicks you may want to try the 70 matchking sounds like it might be just the ticket for the handi
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
New update on my 243 saga
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 07:19:19 PM »
Well after yesterday I was so pissed abouth this gun I called my buddy who happens to be the hunting manager at the local Sportsmans Warehouse and asked him to shoot it and see if it was me or not. I know he is an excellant shot . I grabbed all of the recomended loads I got from this forum and we headed for the hill. He did even worse than I did and after two five shot groups he said "forget it I'll send it back for you tomorrow lets not waste anymore ammo on this gun" so its off to NEF.  in the mean time I have my Hornet to keep me happy.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 04:53:05 PM »
Here's the perscription. Buy two Handis and call me in the morning.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 11:45:03 AM »
If I find a cure for the Handi-Holic thing, I will try it on myself and if it works, I will sell it to the rest of you and buy Handi Rifles with the money. :-D  :)  :lol:
shot placement is everything.

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Help
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 03:39:13 PM »
You're coming to the wrong place to ask for help. I'm fixing to order a Syn 45-70 and just got a 12ga Ultra Slug in mid March that hasn't even had a shot fired thru it yet!!
There is no help to be found on here, unless you put them up for sale, and I'm sure there are some here that will be glad to take them off your hands :lol:  :lol:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 03:58:51 PM »
Ummm, you're right there, no help to be found here....we're all in too deep to help anyone....I've had a .280 Rem Handi for about 2 months now, hasn't fired a shot yet, and its frame has been sent in for another barrel already.....like I said, no hope or help to be found here.....  :roll: Not only that, I just bought a 22 Jet die set and I don't even have a 22 Jet barrel!! No hope..... :oops:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 04:01:13 PM »
Positive thinking Quick...that's all that is...no...I got a nice set of 35Whelen dies for ya :)  :)  :)  :)

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 04:13:49 PM »
How's about I trade my RCBS 30-30 dies and $200 for that nice .30-30 of yours with the purdy red laminated stock???? :eek: You can throw in the 35 whelen dies if you wish..... :roll: Of course then you wouldn't need the 30-30 dies, wouldya!! :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 04:38:14 PM »
I buy some brass then I find and buy some dies, then I find the handi's and put them on layawy. Other than that I am almost, nearly close to sain and normal. I tell the wife that I put another handi on layaway then if she doesn't raise to much hell, I go back and do it. If she does I just say " Hell I was just kidding".
shot placement is everything.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 05:26:18 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
How's about I trade my RCBS 30-30 dies and $200 for that nice .30-30 of yours with the purdy red laminated stock???? :eek: You can throw in the 35 whelen dies if you wish..... :roll: Of course then you wouldn't need the 30-30 dies, wouldya!! :-D  :-D  :-D

You know what I really want don't ya...I would really love to have a Buff Classic....hmmmmm how much does Walmart want for one??? :wink: Why I might even throw in the dies and that extra box or 2 of those triple shocks... :wink:

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 05:30:33 PM »

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 05:35:53 PM »
In my life I've quit smoking, using cocain, speed, grass and acid, but this Handi addiction is hopeless :eek:
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 05:42:36 PM »
Yep....I know....

Mac